Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times

Advertisements

What a shame. A chance to redevelop 26 acres of crap with 600K sq. ft. of retail and over 2000 market rate apts. Shot down by the mayor that was pushing so hard for it. Bottom line, he caved to the libs and those ACORN ***holes. They wanted 50% "affordable housing." Ummm...isn't the majority of crappy Hempstead affordable. This was a golden chance to pick up the area (and make the GC border that much better). What a shame...more narrow minded thinking on LI. Doesn't make sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times
This might have saved West Hempstead, although that genius civic group wants the Courtesy Hotel closed to put up low income rental apartments. That will do wonders for your school budget and property taxes.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
One wonders if this is not some kind of scam; with the bitter coating of "affordable housing" added, the local NIMBY's would naysay the second coming of Christ.

The "affordable housing" also might be part of some complex political deal to make the thing happen at all, it may be netting the developer some kind of tax abatement or State support.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
This might have saved West Hempstead, although that genius civic group wants the Courtesy Hotel closed to put up low income rental apartments. That will do wonders for your school budget and property taxes.
The WH Hempstead is an entirely other development...another NIMBY debacle. This is in the Village of Hempstead, close to the GC border. This was a $2Billion massive proposal by UrbanAmerica.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
One wonders if this is not some kind of scam; with the bitter coating of "affordable housing" added, the local NIMBY's would naysay the second coming of Christ.

The "affordable housing" also might be part of some complex political deal to make the thing happen at all, it may be netting the developer some kind of tax abatement or State support.
It's pure blackmail. There is no doubt he was squeezed by local politicos and ACORN to the point he feared losing his cushy job as mayor of craptown...obviously a place in no need of $2billion in development. I mean, could you imagine these people? Affordable housing? How cheap can it be? I saw some co-op or condos selling units for $75K for God's sake.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
It's pure blackmail. There is no doubt he was squeezed by local politicos and ACORN to the point he feared losing his cushy job as mayor of craptown...obviously a place in no need of $2billion in development. I mean, could you imagine these people? Affordable housing? How cheap can it be? I saw some co-op or condos selling units for $75K for God's sake.
The absurdity should tell you something.

The people responsible for it (whose names we may never even have heard of) may not want the whole thing to happen, for reasons of their own.

Possibly, to drive everyone resembling a middle class/working class person out of Nassau county, and to make it back into what it was prior to WWII - an enclave for the rich.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
The absurdity should tell you something.

The people responsible for it (whose names we may never even have heard of) may not want the whole thing to happen, for reasons of their own.

Possibly, to drive everyone resembling a middle class/working class person out of Nassau county, and to make it back into what it was prior to WWII - an enclave for the rich.
But market rate condos in Hempstead village will no be commanding outrageous prices, I'm pretty sure. It's the people that want all new developments to be soiled with people that can't afford it...that's the problem. How cheap would these brand new places have to be to appease some of these people?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
Quote:
What a shame. A chance to redevelop 26 acres of crap with 600K sq. ft. of retail and over 2000 market rate apts. Shot down by the mayor that was pushing so hard for it. Bottom line, he caved to the libs and those ACORN ***holes. They wanted 50% "affordable housing." Ummm...isn't the majority of crappy Hempstead affordable. This was a golden chance to pick up the area (and make the GC border that much better). What a shame...more narrow minded thinking on LI. Doesn't make sense at all.
I gotta agree with you there,90% of Hempstead is affordable.
Thats a shame.

So when are you moving out East?
You didnt leave Queens to neighbor a suburban ghetto did you?

I found a few houses house for you
You Just Found Your Dream Home! (broken link)
Breeze by the Sea! (broken link)

C

Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I gotta agree with you there,90% of Hempstead is affordable.
Thats a shame.

So when are you moving out East?
You didnt leave Queens to neighbor a suburban ghetto did you?

I found a few houses house for you
You Just Found Your Dream Home! (broken link)
Breeze by the Sea! (broken link)

C
Man, those are nice, but that one of the water is really nice. What a view.

Well, you know me, I loves me a good ghetto...it was quite a selling point for me.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
But market rate condos in Hempstead village will no be commanding outrageous prices, I'm pretty sure. It's the people that want all new developments to be soiled with people that can't afford it...that's the problem. How cheap would these brand new places have to be to appease some of these people?
Ha, ha!

If they gave them away, bet you they'd find an "environmental issue" to squawk about.

It gets their name in the paper, noise is the only thing a "activist" produces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island