U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 09:23 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,368,511 times

Advertisements

"I spent way too much time in FH to agree. It's very crowded, but not fun/exciting like Manhattan crowded...more annoyingly crowded. Not sure what you mean by the zips being skewed...the main post offices are LIC, Flushing, and Jamaica, but each zip is it's own little area. Going down Queens Blvd is NOTHING like Hemp Tpke...tons of apt buildings, stores, and MUCH MORE traffic...blvd of death I believe (where's Dedalus been?). The two are quite different, and now with the burgeoning immigrant populations from all over the world (mostly Russia, it seems), it will change even more and become even more dense. Sure the little area near the GCP and FH Gardens are not too crowded, but just about everywhere else is."

Why, GCGuy! You miss me, or something?

I've been pursuing various job leads, via the Internet, working on my article for Metal Finishing magazine on In-plant Recycling of Plating Wastes, and walking around, picking up deposit cans & bottles for exercise and spare change.

I've pointed out numerous downsides of Nassau County. Here's two really great things about it:

1) It's FREE INTERNET VALHALLA. In NYC you might get 15 minutes, at a public library, if you gave em a pint of blood, or something. Out here, there's all kinds of places where I can check my e-mail, tweak my web page HTML coding, and apply for jobs on Craigslist. For free.

2) The people around here are so steenking rich that they throw away deposit bottles like they were nothing. So, off I go, tucking them in my tucker bag as I enjoy the fresh air, strolling around.

Oh, observations:

a) When there are road accidents, the emergency responders throw "kitty litter" oil absorbant on the spilled automotive fluids...and leave them there. Not good - that stuff winds up washing down the storm drains, not where it belongs.

b) I saw a crew of landscapers working on the grounds of a town facility...all looking rather, um, like recent entrants to the US of A. Seeing as you property owners are paying, lavishly, for this to .be done, one wonders if American Citizens might be employed instead. You're all likely paying enough for that, but somebody's sticking the difference in their wallet.

Not that I care. I'm moving to the Bronx. I'm tired of being PO'ed; you all get PO'ed instead.

c) At the Fairway, on Manetto Hill Road, there is a supplemental street sign that says "Free Enterprise Boulevard." I'm all in favor of it; my standard response to people who comment about someone like moi picking up cans is "Because I am a philosopher, Miss Taggart." But, who put that sign up? It's the only one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 04:41 PM

d) There is an incredibly HUGE icky accumulation of pigeon droppings, feathers, and carcasses at the Hicksville LIRR Station. It is really nasty, also, things like that spread diseases, generally of the kind that affect those who immune systems are challenged.

e) You all still drive like s---.

I saw two Hispanic kids on their bicycles on Rte. 107 nearly get creamed last Thursday by some SUV driving ninny who was yakking on their cell phone. Unfortunately, I did not get their license number; not that anyone would have done anything.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,250,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
d) There is an incredibly HUGE icky accumulation of pigeon droppings, feathers, and carcasses at the Hicksville LIRR Station. It is really nasty, also, things like that spread diseases, generally of the kind that affect those who immune systems are challenged.

e) You all still drive like s---.

I saw two Hispanic kids on their bicycles on Rte. 107 nearly get creamed last Thursday by some SUV driving ninny who was yakking on their cell phone. Unfortunately, I did not get their license number; not that anyone would have done anything.
That is funny...I was just driving by the pigeon poop today with some co-workers. We couldn't believe it. It looked like a pile of gravel, it was so ridiculous.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:35 AM

1,900 posts, read 6,442,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
d)
Do you think that the NYPD would have come looking for that SUV had this happened in the boroughs and you called? No way. Me personally, I was MUCH more PO'd when I lived in the boros than since I moved to Nassau County. And the taxes are about 7,500 more here. Yet it still doesn't bug me like living in the boros did. I dread going back EVERY time I go to visit family members. Sickens me to be honest. Talk about filth.

Good luck in the boogie down Bronx. I truly hope you are happier there, since you hate it here so much. I think you will see plenty o' piles of birdpoop in the Bronx. Please let us know your street level observations then, lol.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 10-06-2007 at 02:46 AM..

Old 10-06-2007, 03:38 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,529,651 times
Man I wish most people who post on here would move to the Bronx too. Hopefully you're a trend setter.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Man I wish most people who post on here would move to the Bronx too. Hopefully you're a trend setter.
I got a job interview on Monday, if the result is positive, there will be a smoking trail of shoe rubber all the way to the Queens border.

That pigeon poop will get cleaned up about five minutes after some ambulance chaser files suit, on behalf of of anyone who's been around that station, and has come down with one of the diseases I alluded to.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Do you think that the NYPD would have come looking for that SUV had this happened in the boroughs and you called? No way. Me personally, I was MUCH more PO'd when I lived in the boros than since I moved to Nassau County. And the taxes are about 7,500 more here. Yet it still doesn't bug me like living in the boros did. I dread going back EVERY time I go to visit family members. Sickens me to be honest. Talk about filth.

Good luck in the boogie down Bronx. I truly hope you are happier there, since you hate it here so much. I think you will see plenty o' piles of birdpoop in the Bronx. Please let us know your street level observations then, lol.
Run over some Latino kid in Soundview, and see how long you live.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,529,651 times
Jenny from the block would be on you like blanco on arroz.

Good luck on the interview, I like the Bronx too....I just wish most people who post on here would move there, or anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or