U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:31 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,174,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you really think there are some realtors in Suffolk County in cahoots with these dirtbag vandals?
I think he meant the RE market in general. Realtors, advertisements, signs with balloons, open houses... Don't really need an inside man to tip off that a house is vacant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM

4,255 posts, read 328,349 times
Also the cops that came said that neighbours often think that there are workmen in the house so they say nothing to them. It took time for these burgulars to do what they did ; It is a four bedroom house with a living room, dining room, kitchen and full basement. They stripped every single baseboard heater, along with every single piece of copper wire in the basement.

It is on a very very busy street but once these people are inside, really nobody knows what is happening inside. The lawn is maintained and yes, there is a for sale sign.

It is supposed to close next week which I am crossing my fingers. The previous buyer bailed on the day before the closing.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 AM

216 posts, read 150,634 times
The amount of money to be made from the copper they took is negligible.

Your suspects are homeless and/or drug addicts.

You'll never find them and even if you did, you'll never get restitution.

Prevention is the only thing worth worrying about.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,174,826 times
could this be your guy?

Police: Medford Man Arrested For Multiple Home Burglaries - Patchogue, NY Patch

Old 09-09-2012, 02:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,107,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
wow, This sure is not the Long Island of my childhood where no one locked their doors even. I am very sorry that you have had this experience . I'll bet you are glad that you have moved to Pennsylvania.
this has been happening for years. I knew someone that had his house foreclosed and before he left, he took every single piece of copper out of his house. took tens of thousands of dollars to fix it.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:53 PM

841 posts, read 869,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It is on Horseblock Road in farmingville. Lots of walking neighbours, yes, lots of illegals etc. But a very very very busy road.
I feel for you. We bought a house in Farmingville in the mid 90s. It was our first home, the one we saved for and dreamed about.

We had our son while living there. I still feel sad when I think of all the other places WE COULD HAVE BOUGHT yet we wound up there.

We had so much trouble with that place. I think Farmingville is EXTREMELY scummy in some parts. Kids broke my windows, the neighbors were mean spirited, and it was a bad experience.

The cops told us TOUGH LUCK when kids smashed my windows. I see things have not changed in 15 years. We had a lot of weird crime activity (people hanging around at strange hours/just bizarre incidents) the whole time we lived there. I wish I had my dog back then. I never felt safe there.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM

31 posts, read 25,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We have a vacant house that is for sale. Hopefully we will close on it next week. But it was broken into in May and we were left with 28 inches of water as the thieves tried to cut the copper pipes.

Well, after making sure it was locked up tight, we went to check on it two weeks ago and the back door was smashed. Every single baseboard heater was stolen, every single piece of copper pipe was stolen. Luckily we didnt fix it from the first breakin.

the cops in the 6th precint told us that every single vacant or foreclosed property in that area has had the copper pipes stolen.
If you're near closing, and if you fix the piping, look into a short term security during that time; years ago, some security companies used to have security guard dogs, they would come and let the dog out in the area for the time you would need them, they would take care of them. If they're still available, I think that would be a great option. In my neighborhood, those of us that have dogs are never bothered in anyway, people wont even walk on your grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island