Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicon View Post
sounds to me like the seller agent was doing their job. when i sold my co-op in forest hills, i saw the prospective buyers credit report, bank statements and pay stubs prior to accepting the offer. not only did did i want to make sure she had the income, down payment money and credit to qualify for a mortgage, but I wanted to make sure she wouldnt have any issues getting past the board. coop boards have their own income and reserve requirements. just because you can get a mortgage doesnt mean the have income the board requires.

if this was an issue with you, wait until you start filling out the coop application. you aint seen nothin' yet....
How true!
Just went through this with a buyer!

In my case, the Board approved the buyer, but at the last minute, the Board attorney nixed the deal!!
This buyer is not looking at another co-op ever .
He told me, "even if I can buy one, when it's time to sell, who knows when I can find a buyer that'll pass all the hurdles"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 PM

43 posts, read 156,993 times
The agent did her duty. She had multiple offers that were similar, and she wanted your information. It's common to submit proof of funds and credit scores when you submit an offer.

An appraisal clause was for the sellers benefit. In case the property wasn't worth what you offered, you'd still have to purchase the home.

This is why I recommend buyers get a buyers agent. You might have to pay 1% commission (sellers now-a-days pay 2%) they get 3% these days-but you'll save yourself a headache or two in the long run.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 PM

148 posts, read 475,435 times
Having sold a co-op recently, I don't think your agent was unnecessarily out of line. He/she wants that sale and tried to make it happen. I lost a sale from a buyer who had his pre-approval because the same bank didn't give him a mortgage. If I had a choice of 2 close offers, I'd go with the person with the stronger financials. BTW, this may be a blessing in disguise. Co-ops are aweful to sell. Just rent until you have the money to buy something you can live out your life in. Nothing like trying to start a family but being stuck in a tiny co-op that you can't sell!!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:24 PM

225 posts, read 715,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguzman41 View Post
The agent did her duty. She had multiple offers that were similar, and she wanted your information. It's common to submit proof of funds and credit scores when you submit an offer.

An appraisal clause was for the sellers benefit. In case the property wasn't worth what you offered, you'd still have to purchase the home.

This is why I recommend buyers get a buyers agent. You might have to pay 1% commission (sellers now-a-days pay 2%) they get 3% these days-but you'll save yourself a headache or two in the long run.

How is that okay though?? If I submitted an offer and handed over all of my financials and the seller's agent saw that I was person of means and could actually afford to pay more than what was asking, what's to say that they wouldn't try to pull something on me or throw another condition in my face to get me to bid more than asking. That's absurd.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM

225 posts, read 715,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
How is that okay though?? If I submitted an offer and handed over all of my financials and the seller's agent saw that I was person of means and could actually afford to pay more than what was asking, what's to say that they wouldn't try to pull something on me or throw another condition in my face to get me to bid more than asking. That's absurd.
I could understand if and when my offer was ACCEPTED that the sellers would request to see my finances, but how could I hand that information over while still negotiating. That would be shooting myself in the foot and that could potentially lead the sellers Agent to tell me that all of a sudden "there's another offer on the table for more money now than what you're asking" etc. or some kind of crock like that. You can't trust, so why would I hand everything over like that hand over fist?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,115 times
For co-ops generally sellers ask to see all financials up front so they can determine if the board will approve you or not. It doesn't make sense to move forward with someone that will get denied at the interview. This is common place for co-ops and you will have to fill out a board package and show all your financials to the board also. If this is something you aren't comfortable with you shouldn't look at co-ops.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguzman41 View Post
actually most listings offer commission (paid by the sellers) to the buyer's agent also. so you shouldn't have to pay a buyer's agent ANYTHING, they are paid through the proceeds of the sale.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 PM

192 posts, read 354,973 times
The RE agent probably has the right to ask, but you were smart not to give it. There's plenty of fish (apartments) in the sea (market).

When I was looking for an apartment in the city, the agent wanted us to give 3 month's rent cash up front when submitting our "application" for the apartment. She would not take a check. I asked what would happen if our "application" was rejected? She said "oh, don't worry, you'll get your money back." Yeah, real reassuring. We wound up passing on the apartment. I was really upset and filed a complaint with the State, but the agent really didn't do anything "wrong." We ultimately found another apartment and lived there for 5 years.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Consider it done SABH. Go stand by your mailbox, a bike messenger should be coming by any moment now.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:34 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,371 times
Moderator cut: names and phone #s were removed

Seriously? Why are you sending a deposit without an accepted offer?

And second seriously... why are you writing a check to a Realtor and not a lawyer's escrow account?

Double whammy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island