Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

I took the HOV lane for the first time at the tail end of rush hour (maybe 9:30ish?) and it was so cool to whiz past everyone (60MPH). I got on at exit 38 and took it to the western end, so I probably only saved about 10 minutes (traffic was really bad on the LIE and NSP, though).

I wonder how annoying it would be to be stuck behind somebody going under the limit, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
55 MPH? Really? I do 65 or so and at times there are drivers in the adjacent left lane whizzing by.
They are being unsafe and breaking the law. 55 and alive.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:59 PM

321 posts, read 595,594 times
55 and alive? Really? Have you seen the difference between a crash at 55 and 70? There is no visible difference, both are catastrophic.

If you are doing 55mph on the LIE, you should be in the right lane, otherwise you are the one being dangerous.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM

Obviously not. Some impatient motorist cut in front of me in the HOV lane by driving out into the entry lane and then cutting back in. A minute later, I saw a sherriff behind me with his flashing lights, I dutifully pulled over to see the sheriff rush ahead to pull over the impatient driver.

I smiled knowing I was obeying the law, the evil doer was being punished, and the highway was going a safer speed.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Obviously not. Some impatient motorist cut in front of me in the HOV lane by driving out into the entry lane and then cutting back in. A minute later, I saw a sherriff behind me with his flashing lights, I dutifully pulled over to see the sheriff rush ahead to pull over the impatient driver.

I smiled knowing I was obeying the law, the evil doer was being punished, and the highway was going a safer speed.
Right on brother. Impatient drivers going over 55mph need a lesson.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Right on brother. Impatient drivers going over 55mph need a lesson.
Are you guys trolling the board?

You must realize that you are in a significant minority of people when you travel at 55mph. Also like I mentioned before, your actions (doing 55) are what caused that "impatient" motorist to go around you, albeit illegally and that is where the potential for real accidents occurs.

Some day you'll get rear ended by someone not paying attention as you do 55mph in the fast lane... the other drive will be at fault, but you will suffer the consequences of the other driver's error.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 PM

Im sorry that people cant obey the law and their impatience causes accidents

Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

He wasn't being ticketed for speeding, he was being ticketed for exiting the HOV lane at an entry point.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Are you guys trolling the board?

You must realize that you are in a significant minority of people when you travel at 55mph. Also like I mentioned before, your actions (doing 55) are what caused that "impatient" motorist to go around you, albeit illegally and that is where the potential for real accidents occurs.

Some day you'll get rear ended by someone not paying attention as you do 55mph in the fast lane... the other drive will be at fault, but you will suffer the consequences of the other driver's error.
Consequences of being in the right?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 AM

I understand that the legal speed limit is 55mph. I am not arguing that is not the case. However, I am pointing out that due to the volume of people on the road, the vast majority of whom are traveling at least 65mph, you are actually more of a safety risk traveling too slow then the speeder traveling too fast.

It is called maintaining the flow of traffic. If everyone on the road was traveling at 80mph, they would be legally wrong but by traveling 55mph, especially in any lane other then the right hand lane, you run the risk of one of these aggressive, speeding drivers making a mistake and having a rear end collision with your car.

If you want to travel at the posted speed limit that is good. I am not saying that there is something wrong with your choice to travel at the posted limit.

For your own safety you should avoid the left lane of the highway and the HOV lane as you are fully aware (admitted in your own posts) that people who frequent these lanes are traveling well beyond the posted limit and will drive aggressively and dangerously to get around you and return to the speed they wish to travel at.

You are risking your own safety, the safety of the speeder and the safety of other innocent motorists by trying to "stick it to" the speeders that you are so set against because they are driving unsafely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island