Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 04:39 PM

112 posts, read 218,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The mainstream media needs to know what's up with these scammers. Maybe if their picture was postedon the news they might stop asking for money who knows.
I doubt that anybody with the nerve to do what these characters do would be intimidated , or embarrassed , by their pictures being on/in the news. As long as they're making money , they aren't going to stop.

If Newsday was to do a story on these people , it would probably be a sugar-coated , heart-string tugging , load of gibberish about the plight of Long Island's homeless and the high unemployment rate.

Theses scammers seem to be slowly , but surely , moving across the island in an easternly direction. By the time they get to Montauk they'll probaly be able to buy a home there with cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,579 times
I saw them at target in Bay shore and then my wife saw them the next day at Kohls in Deer Park

Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
I saw them at target in Bay shore and then my wife saw them the next day at Kohls in Deer Park
It's nuts how anyone can stand in front of stores and demand money. I am fed up with people like this as well as pseudo-charities having the nerve to block doorways.

If I want to donate money I want to choose where, not be intimated by people.

I agree with GR8ACTR. I stopped reading the local paper when I lived there because you'd have a story or more a day about poor "so and so" from (insert country here) who has a terrible life and how he is barely struggling to work his 2 jobs...blah, blah.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 AM

414 posts, read 808,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
I doubt that anybody with the nerve to do what these characters do would be intimidated , or embarrassed , by their pictures being on/in the news. As long as they're making money , they aren't going to stop.

If Newsday was to do a story on these people , it would probably be a sugar-coated , heart-string tugging , load of gibberish about the plight of Long Island's homeless and the high unemployment rate.

Theses scammers seem to be slowly , but surely , moving across the island in an easternly direction. By the time they get to Montauk they'll probaly be able to buy a home there with cash.

The picture would be more to spread the word and expose them so that people do not give them money, not to try and embarrass them.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
The picture would be more to spread the word and expose them so that people do not give them money, not to try and embarrass them.
A local shopping center employee created a flyer to hand out to her clients.

DH told me he saw one guy who got a tad aggressive with a shopper in the local HD parking lot. He was looking to help load a car for money. The shopper shooed him off, and then he went to another person with a few bags with chatting them up.

People have to stop giving them money. No honey, no bears.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM

112 posts, read 218,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Maybe if their picture was posted on the news they might stop asking for money who knows.
Sorry Very Angry , I guess I misunderstood what Lubby meant.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM

414 posts, read 808,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A local shopping center employee created a flyer to hand out to her clients.

People have to stop giving them money. No honey, no bears.

Great idea with the flyer. This is why it might help to flood the area with pictures of these clowns, be it on poles, online, etc, so people stop giving.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
This is a group that seeds the Island with "families" .. a van drives various "workers" (typically "families" consisting of varying individuals day to day) usually comprised of a woman and several young children (though the makeup varies) and drops them off through out the metro area. They typically have a cardboard sign that says they've been laid off and need money for food and rent or some variation of the same. This ruse is built on the same scam that the Roma gypsies have been perpetrating in Europe for years [URL="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051482/Child-beggars-young-making-100-000-year-gypsy-gangs.html"]Child beggars as young as four making £100,000 a year each for gypsy gangs | Mail Online[/URL]
This is a highly organized gang of criminals. If you see them you shouldn’t encourage them but should instead report them to the police for solicitation and child exploitation

Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Robbery in Dix hills Monday with a woman and child distract homeowner near garden while male entered house to steal cash and jewelry.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 PM

294 posts, read 743,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island