Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:25 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's not true at all. I don't know of anyone posting "24-7"... heck, I go in spurts taking days off at a time and sometimes I post a lot. It's a matter of free time and I would imagine it's the same for most people.

This board has a steady flow of folks considering a relocation (both ways - to or from LI) and you have to be honest in that is the primary purpose of the CD local forums - information about moving. So it's disingenuous to suggest relocation related topics don't belong here. If not for those it would be 75% bashing cops/teachers and 24% bashing RP and the Riv.

Also, it's not true at all about other local boards - there are tons of people (LI people included) who go to the other boards bashing those locations. I see it first-hand on the Charlotte boards from ex-Charlotte area people. It's everywhere to a certain extent... it might be more on the LI forum, but this board is more polarized in general about everything. Makes sense it would be "hotter" here. The true venom I see here is the sparring between Nassau and Suffolk mostly... it's gotten plain ugly putting down each other. The knock ex-pats make aren't nearly as mean overall IMO.

The reality is that ex-pats add an element to relocation discussions that those born, raised, and living on LI cannot even begin to bring... Sean can write eloquent insults to ex-pats. You can write well versed posts on what it's like in other parts of the country... The list goes on. But the reality is that until you've lived somewhere else, you bring little to no value about what it is like beyond what a friend told you or what you read or saw in a visit. You don't know what it's like to put your kids in public schools on both LI and XYZville - because you haven't. Sean will resort to cliches as so many do... but the reality is that you don't know... you can guess... but that's about it. Those who have left can offer both sides having experienced both sides first-hand. So to me that's what we as ex-pats bring to the discussions... you may not like my message, or twingles, and I know you don't like mike's, but that doesn't make them what you represent here. We're trying to add value for those considering a move, which I find is one of the top reasons people come to any CD forum.
Well said....

There is one poster that is the cancer of this forum, when he/she isn't around this board runs smoothly.
This certain poster has a habit of confrontations since day one, and has to be put on a time out often.
I really don't entertain this poster much nor what he/she says really doesn't bother me at all.

This poster resorts to child like behavior and belittles me all the time. Calling me names, really ? What are we in grade school? I'm too educated to be slinging insults in the mud like pre-teens. I'll give an example of what I'm talking about..... Long Island • AskTheForum

You see this certain person for what they are...... Let's keep it civil and mature please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I think that is quite reasonable to expect information and input from people who were from LI and moved to other locations in a thead entitled "If you could make same $$ living anywhere in the country, would you still live on LI?" in the Long Island, NY forum. Some people who are doing this just want to help and offer their own perspective, and some appreciate the different perspective, that's all.
It would be appreciated if the OP would have been clear with respect to the audience at which this question was directed. Was it meant solely for those who still live on LI? As someone still living on LI (who would not make the same $$ elsewhere) that is how I viewed it.

Each case is individual and as the saying goes, "your mileage may vary."

Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
For some strange reason OP has a tendency to make these types of threads and sit back and enjoy the bickering.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
For some strange reason OP has a tendency to make these types of threads and sit back and enjoy the bickering.
Yes. Especially since he commented on another LI thread that he doesn't live here. http://www.city-data.com/forum/25637506-post1.html

Must have been a slow/bad day when he created the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island