Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It's a matter of finding another place that's worth moving to (aka cheaper). I don't want countryside, but I don't want a city either. I don't want having to drive 10+ minutes to even get to a highway. I want a good mix of races. I want water access. I want good food, especially pizza / italian - 5 options within 10 minute's drive, chains are ok. I want at least above avg schools. I want job availability, especially tech. I want things happening around me (related to the countryside thing). I want to avoid frequent & major weather systems. I want snow in the winter and San Diego summers. I want hockey rinks everywhere nearby. I don't want religion thrown at me.

Hmm, that's all I can really think of for now as an ideal place for me. So where am I going?
This would be my dilemma.

I am generally happy here.

And other places I think I'd be happy are just as (if not more so) expensive as LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Most people regardless of where they lived will generally feel that "they had the best of times growing up" as they get older. Sorry we don't live in yesteryear.

The main thing is, You like where you live, like you stated. If it works and your enjoying the area...why would you want to move? Move on other people's opinions is a foolish thing This boarded is so skewed to the negative side it's ridiculous. Trust me this isn't a true perspective of the whole island. Take these postings with a grain of salt.

My suggestion..turn off the noise and continue to enjoy the Island and all it has to offer and as long as you're happy forget the rest. Or you might turn into "one of them" Peace out!
If you like where you live, and you live on LI, then you just don't know any better.

I have family and friends, all of whom agree about the huge negatives of life on LI, but they seem resigned... a 'what are you gonna do...' attitude if you will. I, for one, know what I have to do and my energy is too limited to cope and tolerate the frustrations of life on LI.

My real problem is I've lived elsewhere and know there's more to life than commuting, paying taxes, working so you can pay taxes, working some more and going to the mall to spend the money you worked hard for.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
If you like where you live, and you live on LI, then you just don't know any better.

I have family and friends, all of whom agree about the huge negatives of life on LI, but they seem resigned... a 'what are you gonna do...' attitude if you will. I, for one, know what I have to do and my energy is too limited to cope and tolerate the frustrations of life on LI.

My real problem is I've lived elsewhere and know there's more to life than commuting, paying taxes, working so you can pay taxes, working some more and going to the mall to spend the money you worked hard for.
But that's his/her choice!

Trust me, I'd be out in a half second, but some people really do love Long Island. That's their opinion.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
It is somewhat annoying hearing people younger than I (34) saying how LI was much better back in the day. I am just assuming that they must all be from Suffolk because besides some development and ever increasing COL I don't notice that much of a difference. It is the people and society that has changed. Kids aren't allowed to go out and play in the street anymore and most don't want to anyway with their video games and computers. Adults are very different these days too. Many women want to get out of the house and persue their careers even if their husbands make a very good living. This leaves the kids to be raised by daycares and babysitters. Of course many people are forced to have both working parents but, some of these people bring it upon themselves as their offspring are all going to be brain surgeons and they must attend the very best schools and very best towns they can "afford". It is pretty sad though that society has devolved but, as others have said it's not long island it's everywhere.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post

Not to mention the huge pill and heroin problem. Sure we smoked pot in high school, but the hard drugs were off limits. Nobody dreamed of doing them.
Pills and heroin are a new problem but LSD, coke, mushrooms and extacy were widely used on LI by teens and young adults for a decades.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:55 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Pills and heroin are a new problem but LSD, coke, mushrooms and extacy were widely used on LI by teens and young adults for a decades.
They didn't call Stony Brook Stoned Brook for nothing....

Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Aww. This is terrible to hear. I’m 30 and my husband is 34. We’re looking to have a baby in the next few years. I’d like for them to experience a childhood somewhat similar to what we had. Play outside/vacation/make memories. But just because it doesn’t so much involve bike riding or taking the bus to the mall doesn’t mean that they can’t have a peaceful yet memorable childhood, right? I feel like the way you all are describing L.I. means all future is doomed.

I dislike Manhattan, therefore, I turn to L.I. for more peace and suburbia. I like the fact that I can sign up for a softball league if I want to, and my husband and I can go to the same small gym where we know some people. But I never really considered L.I. to be this remote suburbia that I hear it once was. I see it a place where some ex-city goers moved for more space/tranquility and to have better quality of life for their children. That doesn’t have to be bad. Yes, it’s a bit more crowded than suburban Pennsylvania, but that probably means there is more demand.

Should we find a different place to raise our kids then? I really took a liking to L.I. in the 4 years I’ve lived in NY (compared to Manhattan anyway).
Would you prevent you child from playing in the yard, digging in the earth? Would you frown upon those who take a child fishing? Bike riding, skateboarding, etc. are still big activities, it is just that the roads are far more busy and some drivers less law-abiding, drunk or drugged. The safety factor -- we took the bus to the mall and were independent -- has been compromised by an increase in perverts and thug wannabes, sad to say.

I started out in Levittown and then Massapequa which hardly counted as remote suburbia back then. Coming from the city, these areas are quieter and provide more space -- no argument there. But as so many others have written, and I have echoed -- people aren't as friendly here as they once were, they are more hurried and harried.

By all means, move to LI and start your family. My lament was not intended to dissuade anyone. Find a good, solid neighborhood near the things you like best and good schools. Your child/ren will have a good and good childhood -- it's all relative to the era we were raised in. Unlike me -- they won't have memories of ducking their heads between their knees in the halls during an air raid drill.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Most people regardless of where they lived will generally feel that "they had the best of times growing up" as they get older. Sorry we don't live in yesteryear.

The main thing is, You like where you live, like you stated. If it works and your enjoying the area...why would you want to move? Move on other people's opinions is a foolish thing This boarded is so skewed to the negative side it's ridiculous. Trust me this isn't a true perspective of the whole island. Take these postings with a grain of salt.

My suggestion..turn off the noise and continue to enjoy the Island and all it has to offer and as long as you're happy forget the rest. Or you might turn into "one of them" Peace out!
If they were to listen to your take on LI, it's pretty negative. If it was so wonderful, why did you leave? Didn't you move to Mayberry RFD?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Hate to break the news, but little house on the prairie is all but gone across the US. Its not a LI thing. Its the type of society we live in now.
Wrong. If I didn't have a child with a few years left in 3V, I would be in a small town in New England. Believe it or not -- people in some areas 1) don't lock their doors (which I think is nuts); 2) don't have Phillipe and Pandora in a minimum of 2 sports per semester; 3) allow their children (supervised) to hunt; 4) participate in other outdoor sports; 5) raise animals (4H is huge); 6) don't frown upon kids using quads or dirtbikes.

It might not be Little House on the Prairie, but it is a lifestyle which doesn't center on having every moment of one's life scheduled, shuttled, and squeezed in.

Personally, I am glad that there are folks who don't like this otherwise my perfect place would be as congested as LI.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Pot, acid, mesc, pills, shrooms were the mainstays in my HS years. Coke was just starting to make the rounds and one didn't really hear much about Heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island