Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would LI be at the top of your short list of best places to live if taxes were equal across US?
Yes, LI would be near the top. 23 51.11%
No 22 48.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Peconic, it's not really about Richmond but about mid-sized cities being able to offer many of the things that make a big city attractive without the hassles. The point is people that don't need NYC for work usually don't use it enough for it's entertainment and cultural value to make living in it's shadow financially worth it.

Exrichmondback2LI, many children who graduate college do go right back home, so that's not a surprise. Richmond may not be for you but you obviously took advantage of one of our schools and you felt it was safe enough to go here. So why didn't you go to a better school in a safer area of NYC or Long Island?
OMG! Are you actually admitting there might be even one tiny thing better on LI than in Richmond, VA? Are you feeling all right?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
I disagree, the career opportunities being in NYC far exceed any I had in Richmond. The 2 are just not comparable. I'd rather pay a premium to be on LI and know that jobs are plenty then move to any 3rd rate city where we'd be another recession away from financial disaster.

You can't discount the opportunities to earn a paycheck.
There are other points of view. For example, some people don't have to worry about that. You can live anywhere if you have the gubmint paying your bills.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,655 times
Does this rivalry go back to VSHS? Was one of you alpha sigma phi and the other omega gamma delta? Now that would be pretty funny.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
You're a celebrity Mike!

Galicia, are you referring to HS Frats? I thought I was the only one who remembered them.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:21 PM

909 posts, read 1,836,655 times
Quote:
You're a celebrity Mike!

Galicia, are you referring to HS Frats? I thought I was the only one who remembered them.

Yes I am. Wouldn't that be hilarious if true?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OMG! Are you actually admitting there might be even one tiny thing better on LI than in Richmond, VA? Are you feeling all right?
OK, I will admit that Long Island has better commuter rail, beaches and lighthouses than Richmond.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
You're a celebrity Mike!

I think me and the rest of of the people of ATF are even more famous because we actually have people who follow us around on the interwebz and ponder everything we post!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Sorry, but I actually thought you were all pathetic and classless.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:07 PM

97 posts, read 98,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Not really. It's not a question about shifting ops. It's about jobs that have disappeared completely. Lehman, Merrill and Bear are gone for good and there is nothing on earth that will replace the numbers they used to employ. BOFA and Wachovia have shrunk their investing staff. UBS is retreating from investment banking and Credit Suisse is following. For them, there are no ops to speak of. NY's finance industry is not the big employer it had once been and it's getting even smaller. The jobs that are moving to the mid sized cities are just the coup de grace no matter what happens in the future. The accounting jobs in the banks are sure to follow out of state because they have no reason to be in the city. NYC is not the place to be if you're holding a desk job. If you are in NYC, you will someday be asked to transfer elsewhere and take a 40% pay cut.
The article you posted states NYS has 24% of all securities jobs in the USA. That's my industry, I'll take my chances here ;-) you can take your chances with your "if's and but's and maybe's".

Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM

97 posts, read 98,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Really? Not what I'm seeing at all.

Wall St. continues to downsize very aggressively. As others have mentioned, some of the biggest banks have moved ops to SLC (Goldman), Raliegh (CS) and Tampa. Groups left in NYC continue to be downsized or outsourced.

Hedge funds may be hiring, but in the city, it's a fraction of the overall market. It's better up in southwestern CT, especially Stamford, but good luck commuting there.

What's left? Start-up business is expanding very quickly, but long days and potentially lower money mean it's time to head west or south. Media or consulting? Sure, but they don't pay like Wall St.

The latest unemployment figures, as flawed as they are, show NY and NYC's unemployment rates are rising.

Unfortunately, no one is lowering my property taxes or utility rates based on the decreasing fortunes of the NYC job market.

If it's working for you, good.
For all of your doom and gloom anecdotes, if you search on careerbuilder NYc far exceeds just about any other city, and certainly rinkydink cities like Richmond. As I said to the other poster, I'll take my chances here in NYC. So far, so very good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island