Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Speed limits are weather permitting.
Yup. I got pulled over on Hemp Tpke once while doing the speed limit in a pretty bad storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrichmondback2LI View Post
Do you have any studies or research to back up your claim that most LI drivers have poor driving skills with a ton of hostility?
Nope. bubbathedog won't find anything to back his claim because it's not true. Hopefully this squashes the "LI Drivers are Bad" misconception...

I dug around the internet for more info on this because this always comes up. LI drivers are not any more dangerous or bad than the rest of the US. LI actually seems to be much safer than most metropolitan statistical areas(MSA) and cities. The MSA that includes Long Island (along with North Jersey and counties surrounding NYC) has the 5th lowest [out of 113 MSAs/Cities] motor vehicle crash death rate per 100k population, and the 2nd lowest among the 15-24 year old age group.

For an area where cars are essential to get around, I'd say that's pretty damn safe, if not the SAFEST MSA in the whole country if you factor in our reliance on cars compared to the top 5 (NYC, San Fran, etc). You wanna see bad drivers, go South (especially Florida).
Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths in Metropolitan Areas — United States, 2009

Last edited by Pequaman; 08-21-2012 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Yup. I got pulled over on Hemp Tpke once while doing the speed limit in a pretty bad storm.

Nope. bubbathedog won't find anything to back his claim because it's not true. Hopefully this squashes the "LI Drivers are Bad" misconception...

I dug around the internet for more info on this because this always comes up. LI drivers are not any more dangerous or bad than the rest of the US. LI actually seems to be much safer than most metropolitan statistical areas(MSA) and cities. The MSA that includes Long Island (along with North Jersey and counties surrounding NYC) has the 5th lowest [out of 113 MSAs/Cities] motor vehicle crash death rate per 100k population, and the 2nd lowest among the 15-24 year old age group.

For an area where cars are essential to get around, I'd say that's pretty damn safe, if not the SAFEST MSA in the whole country if you factor in our reliance on cars compared to the top 5 (NYC, San Fran, etc). You wanna see bad drivers, go South (especially Florida).
Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths in Metropolitan Areas — United States, 2009
Neat graph. What puzzles me is that Richmond is so much smaller and less populated than our MSA yet it is a rather large red blotch encompassing places like Chesterfield County which I must have had the mistaken impression was not a very densely populated area.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Chesterfield County which I must have had the mistaken impression was not a very densely populated area.
It's not. It is an extremely rural area.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Skills, paying attention and D R I V I N G doesn't need skill, it needs your attention on the task at hand.
If this were true, no one would fail their road test and everyone could be a NASCAR driver.

Quote:
I drive on all those roads at the speeds you say are to dangerous, guess what, they aren't dangerous i never slid off or out the lane on any of those in a car, in a truck in anything.
You're my hero, Mr. Andretti.

Quote:
I have a couple trucks, (if you know anything about cars and trucks then you'll understand this otherwise this is a waste of time) 1 truck has bias ply tires, softest sloppiest sidewalls you ever could get, not a turn on the SS makes that truck ever leave any lane from the beginning to the end of the SS at 80 mph.
You are one of the reasons the SSP is unsafe. Given the volume on the road most of the time, there is no way to safely travel 80 mph for any length without encountering a left lane Gpsma, someone moving to avoid being hit by an oblivious driver or debris, etc. It is a parkway, not a race track.
Quote:
Lots of lane changing happening because the non drivers that can't drive in tighter lanes (people that shouldn't have a car or license) suddenly feel non claustrophobic and will make maneuvers to get around others not doing what they should in other lanes
So when you're doing 80 on the SSP, and someone is jockeying near you, do you slow down to the posted speed limit and do what you legally shoukd be doing? Or do you "make maneuvers"?
Quote:
Again never had a issue with the sag,
Lucky you. I have seen people driving above the speed limit (perhaps th 80mph you prefer?) hydroplane off the road. This summer alone I have been turned away because flooding related issues forced closure of the Sag.
Quote:
question lots of you and how you come to the conclusion its from speed, every accident i watch take place usually within a few feet from me always happens to be from someone not paying attention, or someone not driving,
you're a few feet away? Cant be that you might have cut them off and as a result your speeding or aggressive driving caused the accident?

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 08-21-2012 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Neat graph. What puzzles me is that Richmond is so much smaller and less populated than our MSA yet it is a rather large red blotch encompassing places like Chesterfield County which I must have had the mistaken impression was not a very densely populated area.
It's both rural and suburban or even city like depends on where you are and what your're looking for.

As far as the accident rate, let me explain it from experience. I don't feel like New Yawkers are worse drivers on the contrary I think they're better. They deal with more traffic, worse weather conditions, more crazies on the road period, stress, road rage, crazy fast pace. To survive this you automatically without realizing it become a better driver.

The problem here is it still snows and Richmond is pretty much the cut off. It doesn't snow a lot and really not enough to get experience of snow covered roads. When it does snow and I'm on the road you could tell ones driving ability and where they're originally from. These southerners are pathetic drivers in it.

Also there are a lot or curvy roads with no guard rails or lights. Some of these good ole boys and girls tend to hit the bottle..... also without any traffic you tend to driver faster which ultimately leads to worse car accidents

Well Florida is Florida.....80-90 yo's having strokes and heart attacks and their driving skills have demished with age to the point were they're a menace to society.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by BigMike50; 08-21-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
It's both rural and urban or even city like depends on where you are and what your're looking for.

As far as the accident rate, let me explain it from experience. I don't feel like New Yawkers are worse drivers on the contrary I think they're better. They deal with more traffic, worse weather conditions, more crazies on the road period, stress, road rage, crazy fast pace. To survive this you automatically without realizing it become a better driver.

The problem here is it still snows and Richmond is pretty much the cut off. It doesn't snow a lot and really not enough to get experience of snow covered roads. When it does snow and I'm on the road you could tell ones driving ability and where they're originally from. These southerners are pathetic drivers in it.

Also there are a lot or curvy roads with no guard rails or lights. Some of these good ole boys and girls tend to hit the bottle..... also without any traffic you tend to driver faster which ultimately leads to worse car accidents

Well Florida is Florida.....80-90 yo's having strokes and heart attacks and their driving skills have demished with age to the point were they're a menace to society.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Thank you for the insight.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
May not seem related and you won't find it on any graphs but having lived all over, I can attest that since inspection and emission standards are much lower in some states (TX, for example) and cars don't rust out as quickly, there are many older model cars on the road and a lot more oil dripping on the roads. In partially wet conditions this is a big deal. They don't drive well in the south in inclement weather to begin with, add in the oil slicked tar all over the highways and you've got a recipe for more tragedy at even lower speeds.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Thank you for the insight.
NP, also I forgot to add down here seat belts are still optional and you can't get pulled over for not wearing one. Also It's still lawful to talk and text from your cell here. So with not wearing a belt ,texting or talking on the phone leads to more serious accidents which people are more likely to be seriously injured or even die. Add all the factors up and you get all that red!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
NP, also I forgot to add down here seat belts are still optional and you can't get pulled over for not wearing one. Also It's still lawful to talk and text from your cell here. So with not wearing a belt ,texting or talking on the phone leads to more serious accidents which people are more likely to be seriously injured or even die. Add all the factors up and you get all that red!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:35 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Another thing they have in California are "Botts' Dots" which are reflectors in the center of the road's surface . These things light up at night from your headlights and help you navigate some of those curvy mountainous roads. They have them in most of the smaller cities also, even on straight roads.

You would not believe how much light they emit :

Botts' dots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-22-2012 at 04:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island