Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
How about DC Metro area which is comparable to LI when it comes to traffic. I95 in Virginia just south of the Beltway is 65 mph. It reminds me of the LIE but with a fancier reversible toll HOV lanes. I don't hear about carnage on the road along that stretch.
Driving 80 mph on a long stretched road, that for the most part is wide and straight, the chances of horrible accidents is much lower. Take into consideration that there probably aren't as many cars on that road as there are here on any given road on LI. You don't hear about "carnage" probably because it's UTAH and not NYC or LI. How often does the traffic news for another state get aired here? Would people in Utah care about the traffic conditions in NYC or LI? The only times I've seen traffic accidents on the news regarding another state is when weather conditions are so extreme that they cause 20+ car pile ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
When was the last time that you were on I95 south of DC? I was just down there a few months ago and the second there is a problem, traffic backs up for hours.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Exactly. I was there last year and I felt like I was home on the L.I.E. And drivers there were just as bad on the highways and forget downtown DC. Cars were cutting each other off by the loop. You literally had to dodge in and hope for the best.

Florida is just as bad. Lots of cars on the roads and everyone wants to speed. I spent 10 days down there last summer, 5 of which were in Orlando and it wasn't that bad but the other days in Ft. Lauderdale was like driving on either the LIE, the Southern State or Sunrise Hwy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
Again there are more dangerous roads then the LIE that has 55 mph speed limits. Deer Park Avenue,RT 347 , RT 454 that have 55 mph speed limits The LIE could easily have the speed limit raised to 65 mph for most of its length. Most drivers in the area feel more comfortable around 65 mph. If you want to drive slower drive in the middle or right lanes that is what it is for. Left lane should be passing only and you should NOT cruise in the left lane at 55 mph.

What they should do is do a study raise the speed limit to 65 mph from Exit 40 to Exit 73 and have a study done to see if fatalities or accidents go up or not if they don't then the speed limit should be kept at 65 mph if not then they should lower it back to 55 mph.

Utah DOT (UDOT) Did just this.
Utah DOT: No Downside to 80 MPH Speed Limit Increase | The Truth About Cars
They found NO INCREASE in accidents or fatalities along this stretch. Just because you like driving at 55 mph and some how it makes you feel magically safer doesn't mean it is actually safer. The 55 mph was enacted in 1974 to save gas during the oil crisis not safety

I feel though that no matter what I or anyone says in this thread you will never change your mind but if you want to drive like an old far then get into the right lane. People like that you that feel self righteous in policing everyone else actually cause more accidents then prevent them. I guess we just need to agree to disagree here because arguing with you is like talking to a brickwall
Wow...I get the feeling of deja vu all over again

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25728198-post33.html

Quote:
In 2008, the state legislature granted UDOT permission to test higher limits on rural sections of the road. Using crash histories, engineering studies, UDOT carefully selected the areas that it believed would best handle the increased limit. The department then conducted before and after surveys of speeds and traffic volume on the three sections where the limit was changed. Although the signs permitted another 5 MPH in speed, the results showed that drivers did not ‘take advantage’ of the new limit to drive significantly faster.
The study consisted of a speed increase of 5 mph in [b]rural[b] areas on Utah's I-15. We're talking LONG stretches of NOTHING. No interchanges, no overpasses, no shopping malls, no industrial parks. A barren landscape. However it did state that most drivers didn't drive faster when given the increase of 5 mph to the speed limit. Given the number of interchanges, left lane loueys and speeding yahoos we already have, a decent number of the hurried drivers would exceed a new, increased speed limit -- unlike their counterparts in UT.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Increases in speed lead to more fatal accidents. We need to keep it at 55 and enforce that limit. I feel driving at 55 is my choice...I choose to obey the law and to drive safely. Its only your impatience that makes you want to drive any faster because as i have shown, time and again, you dont save any significant time. So drive slower and be safer, you will get where you are going in plenty of time.
You're not driving safely when you're driving in the left lane without passing!

This thread has gotten wayyyy off topic

Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM

134 posts, read 250,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Driving 80 mph on a long stretched road, that for the most part is wide and straight, the chances of horrible accidents is much lower. Take into consideration that there probably aren't as many cars on that road as there are here on any given road on LI. You don't hear about "carnage" probably because it's UTAH and not NYC or LI. How often does the traffic news for another state get aired here? Would people in Utah care about the traffic conditions in NYC or LI? The only times I've seen traffic accidents on the news regarding another state is when weather conditions are so extreme that they cause 20+ car pile ups.

Exactly. I was there last year and I felt like I was home on the L.I.E. And drivers there were just as bad on the highways and forget downtown DC. Cars were cutting each other off by the loop. You literally had to dodge in and hope for the best.

Florida is just as bad. Lots of cars on the roads and everyone wants to speed. I spent 10 days down there last summer, 5 of which were in Orlando and it wasn't that bad but the other days in Ft. Lauderdale was like driving on either the LIE, the Southern State or Sunrise Hwy.
As I said can you explain to me how I95 in Northern Virginia is much different then the LIE when it comes to traffic conditions? I was on the beltway in May and I was stuck in traffic like the LIE.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
It usually comes down to ones driving abilities not speed. Accidents can happen at any time and place. Most accidents happen in parking lots at speeds under 5 mph. We're all humans and with that we all have different traits,abilities,limitations,reflexes,reaction times,perceptions. Bottom line...some people are better drivers than others

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 PM

134 posts, read 250,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post

I never said raise the speed limit on the LIE/Sunrise to 80 mph raise it to 65 mph. Have them do a study like in Utah to see if there is actually an increase in accidents.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Do you mean 65 mph on Sunrise Highway, the crowded road that goes by the mall in Massapequa?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Do you mean 65 mph on Sunrise Highway, the crowded road that goes by the mall in Massapequa?
That's the one.

SUNRISE MALL @ Massapequa Pk, East Massapequa, NY - Google Maps

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM

372 posts, read 740,695 times
I think for some people, driving 55 and blocking people from passing is just their way of having control over others, because they have no control over their families or anything else of importance in their lives.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
...or maybe the one that runs as a 6 lane highway from Copiague all the way out east. That's also Sunrise Hwy and average speed on it is easily 75mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island