Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we move to Long Island or stay in Florida
Move to Long Island 23 27.38%
Stay in Florida 61 72.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
My experience growing up in Nassau County is that not too many people are interested in discovering the world. Even on these boards, I see that a lot of people seem to have a closed world view. A lot of people seem to have really outdated opinions about the city. I go to Westchester a lot for work, and people there seem to be a little more "with the times" for lack of a better phrase.

I'm closing on a house in Merrick this week after 5 years of living in the City. I'm sure it will be great but the LI mentality is the one thing that makes me feel sick about moving back. I know there's cool stuff to do there, but when it's hard to find other people who are interested in putting the effort into doing cool stuff, it can be kind of lonely.

Keep looking when you get squared away, there are many many people who are not closed off on the island. Again, since we have many commuters and both people working in a home, it is true that often times they are too tired or busy to do much outside of the family, but if you are of the mind you can and will find a nice group of folks. Congrats on the House and happy unpacking!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
eastern european school system, stateside, MD, northern Cali, VA, NC (to name a few). i wouldn't say LI schools are worse than GA, FL, SC etc.
as far as fl goes, because the cost of living is so low compared to here, one can afford sending kids to private schools (or even consider charter schools) without breaking the bank.
Why would anyone live on LI if they could live in Eastern Europe instead?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why would anyone live on LI if they could live in Eastern Europe instead?
And hear those accents all day eh

Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Putting up with accents? The least of the worry. You'd need to learn the language of whatever eastern european country you are living in.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Yes, people in eastern Europe speak accented English. Good God.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 AM

377 posts, read 644,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
I'm closing on a house in Merrick this week after 5 years of living in the City. I'm sure it will be great but the LI mentality is the one thing that makes me feel sick about moving back. I know there's cool stuff to do there, but when it's hard to find other people who are interested in putting the effort into doing cool stuff, it can be kind of lonely.
Try meetup.com. It is a cool website where you enter in your zip code and it will show you all the local Meetup groups with people sharing similar interests, along with info on where/when they meet. It is a great way to meet people who share your interests. There are running groups, dining out groups, parent groups, book clubs, etc, etc...and if you do not find a group that interests you, it is easy to start a group of your own.

Good luck with your move. Merrick is great!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Yes between burger king and subway we have lost to do
If thats all that you can find to do here, then you lead a very sad life. You should get out more- tons to do on LI.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 14,250 times
Is sarcasm a communicable disease? If so I'm sure I've caught it from my wife.
Is the percentage of affected population higher on the island then elsewhere?
If it is true, could they simply close the bridges to quarantine the island.
Further study will be necessary to confirm my suspicions.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If thats all that you can find to do here, then you lead a very sad life. You should get out more- tons to do on LI.
Yes, you're right, if by tons more to do you're referring to:
1) Shopping
2) Commuting
3) Waiting in line
4) Shopping.

Oh, and if you like crowds, you've come to the right place....

Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM

22 posts, read 39,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
i have to say, i understand your wife wanting to move to long island, because if there is one thing i have learned about long islanders, is that they don't like to move away, or live anywhere else but long island. but as someone who isn't from LI, i will say, the quality of schools here is terrible (not as bad as fl/having lived there) but they are still very bad. LI is very expensive, property taxes are sky high (in fact, shocking) and the quality of life is low.
every time we visit the south our first comment is always about how more relaxed we seem when we are away from long island. so if you have a comfortable life in FL you wouldn't be having that here (unless you find higher paying jobs). there are beaches here for the 6-8 weeks of summer and then you get the long never-ending winter. you should explain to your wife that it isn't about her anymore and it's about you all collectively, and especially about kids.
good luck
Thank you, but no one needs to explain that to me. This is not about me, it is about trying to figure out what will be best for our family-especially our kids. Obviously you dislike living on Long Island as much as I dislike living in Florida, and if that is the case, I suggest you think about going elsewhere.

At any rate, my husband and I do agree that it would be better for our boys too grow up with family around them than without. My husband's extended family lives in Germany, where he grew up. When he was a child, he only saw his cousins about once a year as they also lived far away. His father recently came to visit us from Germany-he was here for 5 weeks and left last week. My son cried for his "Opa" today. Seeing family for such short periods of time and then having to say good bye until next time (and who knows how long that will be) is emotionally trying. I know because I have been doing this with my family for the past 16 years. You look forward to seeing them and are so happy while you are there, then you leave and have that empty feeling afterwards. We don't want that for our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island