Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we move to Long Island or stay in Florida
Move to Long Island 23 27.38%
Stay in Florida 61 72.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

I would rather live like a bum on LI than a queen in FL anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
There's a student in one of my classes who moved here from Ocala last year and doesn't seem to like LI very much...his biggest gripe is the way school systems are set-up. He told me that school districts in FL go by county (on LI, we have 56 school districts in Nassau and 69 in Suffolk!!!!) and have more than one high school, and that high schools may have certain "specialties" like International Baccaulurate. He was in the IB program and went to a different school than normal...on Long Island you usually go to whatever schools closest...there are no specialized public schools on Long Island (except for elementaries in Freeport and I think Hempstead, both of which could pass for NYC schools). Kids go to whatever schools their district assigns them (I think elementary maybe you can fight for a different school, but since most LI districts just have one Middle and High School, forget it on the secondary level). The kid I'm talking about's parents planned to pay $8,000 to have him go to the wrong school district (West Islip, which has IB) but eventually they couldn't do it and he's unfortunately stuck in Lindenhurst which has no IB. So yeah you can pay tuition and have your kids attend the wrong SD but since part of your reason for moving is eduction I really don't think you'd want to do that.
Oh and another thing: just because you are close to a school doesn't mean you're kids can enroll in it. You could buy a house in Massapequa right across the street from it's middle school and see that highly-rated school from your front stoop everyday, but your kids would be bussed 2 miles away and into a different county to Amityville's middle school (the only middle school on Long Island designated as "In Need of Restructuring"). I know there are many other examples...
Calhoun high school has a specialty program for drama

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Calhoun high school has a specialty program for drama
So students that would normally go to Mepham or Kennedy can go to Calhoun if they're really into Drama?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 7,142 times
If you want to sucked dry both psychologically and financially then by all means do move to L.I.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 7,142 times
Current electric bill for my 2 bedroom house in Nassau Co. (1,239 sq ft, one car garage, no master bath) is $328. Heating oil is $550-600 bucks four to five times a year. Gas, electric and H2O are five times what I was paying before I moved here from the Cleveland Burbs. The taxes ($2,734) plus insurance and the energy and money it takes to care for the tiny lawn are making it impossible to envision any kind of upgrade on this place or any chance of paying it off before I die. I'm a nurse. I moved here for a great job and although I make good money I can't save much for retirement in this situation.
Today my 3 mile drive home from the supermarket (2 fryer chickens, cat food, grape juice, 6 dinner rolls, cheese, olives, 1 bag salad = $66.50) lasted 35 minutes. It's so frustrating!

Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
Current electric bill for my 2 bedroom house in Nassau Co. (1,239 sq ft, one car garage, no master bath) is $328. Heating oil is $550-600 bucks four to five times a year. Gas, electric and H2O are five times what I was paying before I moved here from the Cleveland Burbs. The taxes ($2,734) plus insurance and the energy and money it takes to care for the tiny lawn are making it impossible to envision any kind of upgrade on this place or any chance of paying it off before I die. I'm a nurse. I moved here for a great job and although I make good money I can't save much for retirement in this situation.
Today my 3 mile drive home from the supermarket (2 fryer chickens, cat food, grape juice, 6 dinner rolls, cheese, olives, 1 bag salad = $66.50) lasted 35 minutes. It's so frustrating!
Were you getting water for free because, LI is very inexpensive for water charges.
328$ for a 1200sqft home is obscene. You are doing something wrong.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Were you getting water for free because, LI is very inexpensive for water charges.
328$ for a 1200sqft home is obscene. You are doing something wrong.

That electric bill seems way to high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island