U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,743,350 times
How much has your house appreciated in that time? I'm sure people in FLA, for one, thought the same way.

[quote=slynn41072;2744178]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

My thought is this, and it applies not only to the south, but the north: people leave LI/NY/NJ for greener pastures, less taxes, huge new homes. They raise the population in an area, and by virtue of the increased population and demand for services the taxes inevitably creep up. More and more people come in, things get more built up and congestion arrives. Newcomers tell old timers how things should be run. Old timers grow resentful, unable to pay for the newer expensive way, long for their 'old way' and leave for greener pastures, less taxes......etc.

I have been here 5 years and my taxes have gone up 200.00 dollars which amounts to 40.00 each year I have lived here. I checked the taxes on my old home in LI to which I was paying 5200.00 5 years ago. Now the taxes are 8600.00 a difference of 3400.00 or 680.00 each year. Unless LI taxes never go up again I can see your point, but I think I will take my chances for now because as of right now the money is still in my pocket.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 PM

718 posts, read 2,006,490 times
Actually my house in NC is worth more than my old house in LI. Nice try though. The people who bought it from me actually sold it last year. We bought and sold at the right time.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:24 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,049,820 times
Just be prepared, because the fast growing areas in the South are not immune to high taxes. The more people that move there, the more strained the infrastructure becomes, the more schools are needed, etc., which means higher taxes.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Just be prepared, because the fast growing areas in the South are not immune to high taxes. The more people that move there, the more strained the infrastructure becomes, the more schools are needed, etc., which means higher taxes.

So far I have been here 5 years and that hasn't been the case, it was the case when we were in LI with very high taxes that kept getting higher. I will take my chances on taxes going up here. The South isn't the only place to live. The US is a big country. Funny, but LI isn't a fast growing area, schools are already in place and a infrastructure is in place but yet taxes keep going up. I am not going to worry about some future problem that may or may not happen because bottom line, it already was happening in the place I left(LI) with NO chance of improving. I also speak from experience, I have owned a home on LI and sold. I know what I was paying every month and what I pay now. I know the quality of life I had and what I have now.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 PM

3,560 posts, read 4,394,310 times
Been in the South 20 years in a great area that is fast growing and I still haven't seen anything like the tax hikes my LI friends had in the same time period.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,096,869 times
Default My fellow islanders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
So far I have been here 5 years and that hasn't been the case, it was the case when we were in LI with very high taxes that kept getting higher. I will take my chances on taxes going up here. The South isn't the only place to live. The US is a big country. Funny, but LI isn't a fast growing area, schools are already in place and a infrastructure is in place but yet taxes keep going up. I am not going to worry about some future problem that may or may not happen because bottom line, it already was happening in the place I left(LI) with NO chance of improving. I also speak from experience, I have owned a home on LI and sold. I know what I was paying every month and what I pay now. I know the quality of life I had and what I have now.
...sometimes it does work out for people who leave the region and it looks like this has been the case for slynn. That is a great thing for you, your family, your jobs, etc. Just as staying in this region has been great for my family, career, etc. Different strokes for different folks. My issue is well cited on here: I take offense to those who leave a region and come back onto the board implying that those who stay are fools. It is crass and uninformed. Also, I have issue with somebody coming onto the board claiming all of Long Island is spiraling into the pits of hell because the town they grew up in, which accounts for maybe 20,000 out of the 3 million residents here, is not how they remember it growing up. Your personal experience is just that: yours. Generalizations are ignorant. Let me be clear Slynn I am not including you in those remarks. Continued luck to you and your family.
JRP

Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 AM

13,763 posts, read 15,785,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
...sometimes it does work out for people who leave the region and it looks like this has been the case for slynn. That is a great thing for you, your family, your jobs, etc. Just as staying in this region has been great for my family, career, etc. Different strokes for different folks. My issue is well cited on here: I take offense to those who leave a region and come back onto the board implying that those who stay are fools. It is crass and uninformed. Also, I have issue with somebody coming onto the board claiming all of Long Island is spiraling into the pits of hell because the town they grew up in, which accounts for maybe 20,000 out of the 3 million residents here, is not how they remember it growing up. Your personal experience is just that: yours. Generalizations are ignorant. Let me be clear Slynn I am not including you in those remarks. Continued luck to you and your family.
JRP
Nicely stated.

Like you, staying in the region has been a benefit for the OhBeeHave family. Our business has a wonderful reputation with local people; to uproot in search of less taxes would be a poor trade off. Our business would have to start from scratch (long, costly and not where someone middle aged wants to be in his field) or DH would have to take a job working for someone in an area where salary for his talent is a small slice of what they are here.

Not everyone can go elsewhere transferring with a company or within a company. It's great for those who can do that -- more power to them!

Years ago I was with a company which allowed transfers throughout the USA. Needless to say, FL was the #1 spot. An employee could grow old waiting for an opening. When the transfer finally came through, we would all hear about how wonderful, weather, $, yadda, yadda, yadda, just like we do here. I've often wondered, though, if while we hear aout how good it is there, if the same person is telling the people there how good this and that was back here? I've seen it with my own family.

I do wish my friends and neighbors who relocate all the best. If things get better for them -- I am very happy. If things don't -- I am here to listen.
Never once will I slam someone's decision to stay or go. It's way too personal. On the other hand, I would prefer that people respect my reasons for staying as opposed to coming along and bragging. I'd rather hear, "My life has worked out better in my new town; I have a home I love and the children are doing well in school. I've saved on my taxes and utilities, too. This was right for me."

Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,743,350 times
Quote:
Actually my house in NC is worth more than my old house in LI. Nice try though. The people who bought it from me actually sold it last year. We bought and sold at the right time.
What town in NC are you in?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
What town in NC are you in?
I am in Cary.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,874,287 times
Quote:
I am in Cary.
For all of you LI folks, and this is from a former Jersey Boy. The joke about Cary in NC, is, it stands for Collection Area for Relocated Yankees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island