Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 PM

71 posts, read 190,357 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have first hand information on highly gifted children attending another public school district that can offer what gifted children need? My child has recently been tested as HIGHLY gifted and I wonder how parents can meet the needs of gifted children if they don't live in a top school district.

In NY the schools are obligated to test, but not to provide the services.... Source: AGATE, NYS website for gifted education/advocacy. The $$$ charged at the best private schools is astounding, and the Nassau locations equal a long commute. To make this even more difficult, it's hard to tell which Suffolk private school can really provide the challenges for these students. I have read online reviews about schools that just move kids along to keep $$ coming in. Then you have Huntington School for the Gifted that doesn't even post photographs on their website! A website with green solid background and dark green lettering, without any pictures of any kind. And some parents mention secrecy and things like the parents can't even show up and go inside.

I hope someone has some experience in a situation like mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I would hold off on broadcasting these kinds of test results. If I were you, I would not push my child into a special program in another district, not that any district would will allow something like that to happen anyway.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 PM

372 posts, read 740,532 times
What makes a child gifted?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuetM View Post
Does anyone have first hand information on highly gifted children attending another public school district that can offer what gifted children need? My child has recently been tested as HIGHLY gifted and I wonder how parents can meet the needs of gifted children if they don't live in a top school district.

You can move to a top school district.

If there are no services in your district for gifted programs, than that is just what it is.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
Send your cherub to private school because in these economic times we have enough mandated burdens to raise our taxes without having to tend to the needs of a test "gifted" child.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM

71 posts, read 190,357 times
Nancy Thereader what do you mean by "hold off on broadcasting these kinds of test results". Did I post too much here? I'm just seeking some info from people with similar experiences in LI schools.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuetM View Post
Nancy Thereader what do you mean by "hold off on broadcasting these kinds of test results". Did I post too much here? I'm just seeking some info from people with similar experiences in LI schools.
There was a thread similar to this a couple of years back. I do not recall what the outcome was, but there might be an answer or two for you. Try an advanced search on the forum.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would hold off on broadcasting these kinds of test results. If I were you, I would not push my child into a special program in another district, not that any district would will allow something like that to happen anyway.
Why not? I guess some people here don't understand how a gifted child in a regular program can be bored out of their minds and start to hate school. My DD was in a district that would give her busy work when she finished an hour long assignment in 10 minutes. Telling her to read book after book to fill her time bored her to death. The only two school districts that I personally know of that offer gifted programs are the one we are currently in and Three Village. I am sure there are many more that I'm not aware of.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
You can pay tuition to another district, but I doubt they are going to take you if you're already looking to get a special program.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
If you live in Suffolk, Three Village has the only self-contained IG program on Long Island. From what I've heard it's for 4 - 6th grades. It used to be 3 - 6. But your own test results won't count if you went to a private psychologist for the test; plenty of parents with outside test results have tried to push their kids into the program only to be told that their kids have to be tested by Three Village. A score of 130 or higher makes the grade for the program. Oh, and in the third grade now, they have some sort of "enrichment" program - whatever that means. We did fight hard to keep the self-contained classroom also for the third grade, but the superintendents wouldn't have any of it. Luckily we saved the program from being destroyed entirely - quite a battle I can assure you.

Of course, you would have to move to Three Village SD, or pay the system the cost for another student.

I think what Nancythereader was getting at is lots of people are envious of "gifted" kids. In reality, those kids who are super smart incur plenty of problems with regular kids who have been taught by their parents to hate them for their intellect. All boils down to envy. You may have encountered some of it yourself - if you haven't by now, don't worry, you will in the future. I still have problems with relatives and neighbors over it. They're jealous of my daughter going to an Ivy. It really never stops.

My kids were in the IG program (IG stands for intellectually gifted vs. a regular gifted and talented program where any kind of talent is admitted, such as dancing or painting or kicking a football 100 yards). What happens in the district is towards the end of second grade, the school system goes through all the test scores of all of the students, and culls out the scores that make the score cutoff. A letter is sent to the parents telling them their student is eligible for the IQ test if they would like to have their student tested.

It's well worth your looking into. Also, Half Hollow Hills has some kind of enrichment program for the higher IQ's. My cousin's son was in it, but it amounted to a one day pullout program with more thinking things for him to do. In reality he needed it the entire week. Not for just one day.

And also, pick up the phone for the Huntington school on Pigeon Hill Road and do as much investigating as you can. At least attempt to email or talk with someone there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island