U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 AM

819 posts, read 2,471,451 times

Advertisements

I am looking to heat my extension on my home. I was going to install a vented gas wall furnace. However, my plumber told me he really does not recommend them. He told me about the new hydronic baseboard heaters. I have an electric baseboard heater in the room now. However, it has been broken since I purchased the home. The heat that goes directly to that room is my forced hot air. However, it does nothing for the room and I recently had an estimate come in to add insulation at the bottom of the crawlspace, walls and ceiling. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with hydronic electric baseboard heaters. I am looking to make this a nursery in less than a year so that is why I am trying to avoid going with the cheaper electric baseboard heater. I understand they heat up so much that toys can melt from it. If anyone has any history of using a hyronic electric baseboard heater, I would really appreciate if you can share your experience and how well it heats the room on a very cold day. The room backs my garage so I am assuming the room is extra cold for this reason as well. If you can also share the size of your room, how many watts your heater is, if you have it on a separate programmable thermostat on your wall and also the manufacturer name, that would be helpful. The room I am looking to heat is 120 square feet and has a crawl underneath it and also backs my garage. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM

7,171 posts, read 8,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I am looking to heat my extension on my home. I was going to install a vented gas wall furnace. However, my plumber told me he really does not recommend them. He told me about the new hydronic baseboard heaters. I have an electric baseboard heater in the room now. However, it has been broken since I purchased the home. The heat that goes directly to that room is my forced hot air. However, it does nothing for the room and I recently had an estimate come in to add insulation at the bottom of the crawlspace, walls and ceiling. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with hydronic electric baseboard heaters. I am looking to make this a nursery in less than a year so that is why I am trying to avoid going with the cheaper electric baseboard heater. I understand they heat up so much that toys can melt from it. If anyone has any history of using a hyronic electric baseboard heater, I would really appreciate if you can share your experience and how well it heats the room on a very cold day. The room is backs my garage so I am assuming the room is extra cold for this reason as well. thank you in advance for any info you can provide. If you can also share the size of your room, how many watts your heater is and the manufacturer name, that would be helpful. The room I am looking to heat is 120 square feet and has a crawl underneath it and also backs my garage. Thank you.
I have not experienced built in Hydronics but have used a portable unit which is filled with a Dielectric Oil (Shop De'Longhi Convection Cabinet Electric Space Heater at Lowes.com ). We have used it to heat several hundred square feet with no problems. These type of units have multiple Wattage Settings and timers, there is no burn or fire hazard either. A friend of mine who lived in Sicily said people their use them to heat the whole house.

They make self contained Base Board style that you can install with a wall mounted thermostat, you should be more that satisfied. ( http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/con...oductNo=HBB754 )

Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Thank you for your review. The link you sent me for the baseboard permanent heat is exactly what my plumber was telling me about. I'm suprised that they use these in Sicily as their main form of heat in the house. I was really keen on the idea about the vented gas wall furnace but when i found out it was unsafe and my plumber did not feel comfortable with it and he told me about hte hydronic basebaord heat, it sparked my interest. Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate it.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM

7,244 posts, read 9,593,264 times
I would get several opinions about both as I have not heard they are unsafe but I have no experience with them. One thing I would urge you to consider. Is this extension going to be constantly heated or just here and there? Electric costs need to be factored in and what the exposure of the room is. I have two rooms in my home that have northern exposure and they are always still colder.

Editing to add should search Hydronic baseboard heat in CD, there are tons of entries

Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM

7,171 posts, read 8,759,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would get several opinions about both as I have not heard they are unsafe but I have no experience with them. One thing I would urge you to consider. Is this extension going to be constantly heated or just here and there? Electric costs need to be factored in and what the exposure of the room is. I have two rooms in my home that have northern exposure and they are always still colder.

Editing to add should search Hydronic baseboard heat in CD, there are tons of entries
A very valid point. We found that because the "dielectric oil" is heated that the unit continues to radiate heat even after the thermostat turns off the power. We also found that for a 12'x15' room we could use the lowest wattage setting and even my "can you turn up the heat" parents were warm and toasty. These are great for visiting seniors because they can have the shake & bake enviroment they like without you sweating to death every night...

Also consider the average usage cost against the cost of running a new gas line and the charges associated each month. Do wall furnaces cause the home owners insurance to go up?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I am looking to heat my extension on my home. I was going to install a vented gas wall furnace. However, my plumber told me he really does not recommend them. He told me about the new hydronic baseboard heaters. I have an electric baseboard heater in the room now. However, it has been broken since I purchased the home. The heat that goes directly to that room is my forced hot air. However, it does nothing for the room and I recently had an estimate come in to add insulation at the bottom of the crawlspace, walls and ceiling.
Make sure you do this, otherwise whatever heat source you have in there will be expending extra energy to make up for heat loss.

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with hydronic electric baseboard heaters. I am looking to make this a nursery in less than a year so that is why I am trying to avoid going with the cheaper electric baseboard heater. I understand they heat up so much that toys can melt from it.
If toys can melt, imagine what they can do a toddler's skin.

Quote:
If anyone has any history of using a hyronic electric baseboard heater, I would really appreciate if you can share your experience and how well it heats the room on a very cold day. The room backs my garage so I am assuming the room is extra cold for this reason as well. If you can also share the size of your room, how many watts your heater is, if you have it on a separate programmable thermostat on your wall and also the manufacturer name, that would be helpful. The room I am looking to heat is 120 square feet and has a crawl underneath it and also backs my garage. Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.
I used one of those in a small workspace in my basement. It worked fine for warming the room, but I never put anything near it for fear of melting, burning, etc. A 120 sq ft room only leaves you a certain amount of wall space and unlike OHW baseboard, you can't put anything up near it.

Is there any possibility of running a chase for the FHA into the bedroom?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Well, to answer your question if this bedroom will be heated all the time. If it is a bedroom and it's a cold fall or spring night and during the wintertime, then yes, it will be used often. I know in my condo I had electric heat and electric everything for that matter and my bill wasn't terrible. I'm assuming for a few months out of the year, I could swing the cost. I don't think it would raise the bill that much more and b/c it's hydronic, it has water or oil in it and once the heater goes off, the water/oil is still hot which means that it won't get cold right away. That's what I also liked about it. According to my plumber the gas wall furnace sucks the oxygen out of the house and makes it really dry. He told me a family member has it and his windows get fogged up when he uses it and it also produces a strange smell when they start up. He said he's dealt with many of them and he really isn't a fan. I respect what he had to say b/c he could have just said okay, i'll do it and you can pay me so much money to run the gas line and to install the item. This room does not have northern exposure at all. It has southeast exposure.

I will look it up in CD thanks!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A very valid point. We found that because the "dielectric oil" is heated that the unit continues to radiate heat even after the thermostat turns off the power. We also found that for a 12'x15' room we could use the lowest wattage setting and even my "can you turn up the heat" parents were warm and toasty. These are great for visiting seniors because they can have the shake & bake enviroment they like without you sweating to death every night...

Also consider the average usage cost against the cost of running a new gas line and the charges associated each month. Do wall furnaces cause the home owners insurance to go up?
Right, that's what I like about it right now..the radiating heat even after the unit shuts down where as the gas furnace or regular electric baseboard heat just shuts off and the warm will get cold right away. Glad to hear your parents are warm and toasty with this gadget!

I'm not so worried about my electric skyrocketing for one bedroom. I had electric heat in my condo and everything else was electric too and the bill really wasn't horrible. The cost to run the gas line and to buy the gas wall furnace costs a lot more in the long run to purchase and install and run the gas line. Whereas I am assuming to buy the hydronic baseboard heater is like $250 or so and I already have the hard wiring in the room from my old electric baseboard heat. I just need to run a separate thermostate through my walls. I'm waiting for the electrician to call back with a quote for all of that.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Make sure you do this, otherwise whatever heat source you have in there will be expending extra energy to make up for heat loss.

If toys can melt, imagine what they can do a toddler's skin.

I used one of those in a small workspace in my basement. It worked fine for warming the room, but I never put anything near it for fear of melting, burning, etc. A 120 sq ft room only leaves you a certain amount of wall space and unlike OHW baseboard, you can't put anything up near it.

Is there any possibility of running a chase for the FHA into the bedroom?
Yes, the toys melting is a scary thing from the regular electric baseboard heat. They are so much cheaper but I would be so scared to use that in a baby's room. Right now my 1 year old is crawling and cruising everywhere and touching everything. It's hard to keep his hands out of his dresser drawers. I couldn't even imagine having to worry about a child sticking their fingers in a regular electric baseboard heater b/c it's open from the outside as to where you can stick your fingers or toys in it. In a hydronic it's more closed and it doesnt' get hot to the touch.

I understand what you are saying about a room being 120 square feet and not too much wall space. I would have to place it under one of the windows and I think it would be like 50" long. It said to keep stuff 10" away from this heater. I guess I would have to work around it...I'd much rather have heat in there than no heat.

Well there is a forced hot air duct in the bedroom but it doesn't do much at all. It should have at least 2 registers but i only have one. My basement ceilign is closed and my HVAC guy basically told me there's nothing else i can do right now. I should also tell you that my duct line running into that room was taken from my dining room vent right outside that doorway so they already extended it further and that's probably why it's not working well. My hvac guy told me to wait for my furnace to die and either do all hot water baseboard heating which would be liike $8k or to run something through my CAC ductwork in my ceiling. However, I had the latter in my condo and wasn't so crazy about the heat coming out of my ceiling. I love the idea of hw basebaord heat but it's too expensive for me.

Last edited by LIgirl74; 09-06-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM

855 posts, read 1,461,350 times
Although costly a small split system would be perfect. It can give you heat and ac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or