U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 PM

138 posts, read 329,544 times

Advertisements

We found a house we love, but its a bit overpriced for the neighborhood. Agent claims the 2 level extension at the back of the house, creating a den on the ground floor and an extra bedroom on the 2nd floor makes the price of the home a good deal. Can all you knowledgeable folks tell me how much it is to build such an extension? The size is about 10ft by 8ft for each room. I would think that its not too expensive since there's no plumbing involved in either of the two rooms. We would consider buying a home without the work done and then just adding it later ourselves. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Last edited by MomLookingToMove; 09-06-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 30,734,712 times
What is the price difference between this house vs one which hasn't been added on to? How many square feet overall is the addition? Is it on a basement, slab or crawlspace? Has the older part of the house adjacent to the new den been reconfigured? There's a lot to take into account.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM

it adds probably 200sq ft total max. they sit on these round cement cylinders which are quite unsightly. No reconfiguration to the existing structure of the house was made besides opening up an entry way from the dining room into the den and the creation of a hallway using bedroom space to lead you into the new 4th bedroom on the 2nd floor. there was an exact same house that sold a couple of months ago for $389K. This is I've talked down to $440 and it does not seem that the seller will be going down much farther than that.

thanks!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLookingToMove View Post
it adds probably 200sq ft total max. they sit on these round cement cylinders which are quite unsightly. No reconfiguration to the existing structure of the house was made besides opening up an entry way from the dining room into the den and the creation of a hallway using bedroom space to lead you into the new 4th bedroom on the 2nd floor. there was an exact same house that sold a couple of months ago for $389K. This is I've talked down to $440 and it does not seem that the seller will be going down much farther than that.

thanks!
Built on piers? Is there a CO for this addition? I saw this on an older home by me -- people converted a deck to a bedroom. They built right over an actual backyard deck using the deck's footings. It was garbage. I would be concerned about the deck's (the base the addition is built on) framing's ability to handle the load on the structure and how it was tied into the existing house as well as if it opening from the existing house to the new addition was properly headered. If they cut corners using piers instead of a slab, you have to ask where else did they cheap out?

What area is this house in?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 PM

19,333 posts, read 28,888,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Built on piers? Is there a CO for this addition? I saw this on an older home by me -- people converted a deck to a bedroom. They built right over an actual backyard deck using the deck's footings. It was garbage. I would be concerned about the deck's (the base the addition is built on) framing's ability to handle the load on the structure and how it was tied into the existing house as well as if it opening from the existing house to the new addition was properly headered. If they cut corners using piers instead of a slab, you have to ask where else did they cheap out?

What area is this house in?
OBH is more knowledgeable than me but I will still chime in to agree. Seriously doubt there is a CO or it is up to code.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 PM

The house is in the Gibson section of Valley Stream. According to the agent, the seller has permit and CO for structure...

How do I go about finding out if there really was co/permit for this addition? Is this something that can be found out during the home inspection?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 AM

9,205 posts, read 13,282,357 times
Quote:
How do I go about finding out if there really was co/permit for this addition? Is this something that can be found out during the home inspection?
Ask your agent to help you get that information. Either they'll have the other side get it from the town or they'll do the legwork themself. I think I heard that the town doesn't supply that to anyone but the homeowner anymore though. So you have to get them to comply if you really want proof. The home inspector inspects the structure of the house only, not paperwork.

If you think it's unsightly, I'm not sure why you'd want to look further into it there. Just find out how much it costs to do something similar like you mentioned - hopefully some people can help you with a price. Do you need a 4th bedroom? Something like an extension on the 1st floor usually suffices, and is MUCH simpler in terms of submitting plans / approval.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-07-2012 at 06:21 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 AM

19,333 posts, read 28,888,039 times
Quote:
The house is in the Gibson section of Valley Stream. According to the agent, the seller has permit and CO for structure...

Simply have the agent ask for it. The owners will certainly have a copy of it, but if they've misplaced it, it will be on file with the town. Very easy to get.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM

2,202 posts, read 3,735,279 times
Quote:
We found a house we love, but its a bit overpriced for the neighborhood. Agent claims the 2 level extension at the back of the house, creating a den on the ground floor and an extra bedroom on the 2nd floor makes the price of the home a good deal. Can all you knowledgeable folks tell me how much it is to build such an extension? The size is about 10ft by 8ft for each room. I would think that its not too expensive since there's no plumbing involved in either of the two rooms. We would consider buying a home without the work done and then just adding it later ourselves. Thanks in advance for the advice!
"Can all you knowledgeable folks tell me how much it is to build such an extension?" You should look beyond this question and ask yourself if the price difference is worth 160 sq.ft. and if the 10x8 rooms are the ideal size you want and you don't mind the unknown of how well they were constructed.

Some people, like me, would find a 10x8 room useless except as a mud room or walk-in closet and would prefer to design and build an addition that I can ensure is well built, functional, and has character. Others would like to avoid building their own addition at most any cost and don't mind two plain rectangles set upon each other. You have to ask yourself what's more important to you and what you're willing to pay for.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:

CO for the structure meaning the house, or CO for the extension? Remember that the agent works on behalf of the seller, unless you've signed on with a buyer's agent.

The home inspector is going to look into structural and mechanical aspects of the home -- not the paperwork.

A few other posters have brought up some good points. You feel the piers are unsightly -- they aren't going away anytime soon and it will cost you good money to try and do something decorative to camouflage them. The over all room sizes in the extension are small. You're better off living in a house, determining your use of the space, and then considering building on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island