Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,986,029 times

Advertisements

Guess I'm lucky. Was out for 2 hrs reading a book late afternoon and just one asian tiger. They are actually kind of stupid. Regular skeeters are stealth. Biting you before you feel them there. The AT's buzz bomb you like idiots. The minute I see one coming, wham, dead skeeter. The trouble is when you are busy working with your hands (gardening, etc) they get you. At dusk the old school skeeters are out and they are a pain in the behind. I find the Off coils have worked very well for us. Had 2 recent bbq's and no issues except the occasional yellow jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM

863 posts, read 2,104,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit2012 View Post
I have to agree with this. We moved out here two years ago and were thrilled to have a back yard for our little guys. Put up a nice playground, got a nice grill, and we can't even use it! We can't walk outside for 10 seconds without being swarmed. It probably doesn't help that the previous owner of our house was an avid gardener. Our yard looks like a tropical paradise...we loved it until we realized about the mosquitoes. I looked into exterminators, landscapers, those propane machines...everything.

Having it sprayed is expensive and will only work temporarily. The mosquito magnets that run on propane cost a fortune, they cost even more money (and time) to maintain, and they probably do more for your neighbors than you (unless you have a HUGE lot). I was ready to forfeit my yard...so I tried those stupid hose attachment sprays at Home Depot..Eco-Smart is a total waste of money and probably makes the problem worse! But as someone else here mentioned earlier, the Off stuff is incredible..I sprayed that, and I was watching those little #%&*$ coming out of the grass as I did it. It seems to work on both the regular mosquitoes and the Asian Tigers. It repels and KILLS them. I must have wiped out an entire generation the first time I did it because we all had the best BBQ in the yard (note: if you're as frustrated as I was, don't try this on a weeknight for the first time)...had so much fun I had to put a dent in my overstocked cooler and had a rough go the next morning at work. That Off stuff really works. There was nothing flying in our yard that first night. bugs, birds, planes, nothing. That stuff killed everything. Seriously, no damage to the grass or plants (or the kids for that matter)....one bottle sprayed our yard twice..about 3500 sq ft.

I've used it a few times since and we get the occasional bugger but nothing close to what it was, if you have a real problem, you should notice a huge difference the first time you use it...Take your yards back!
This is so true. We have tried every thing and I brough the off version because I am cheap and it's coverage is a lot more than the other brands. They kids legs no longer look we are abusing them from the bites and scratches. I think I am going to watch for the price drop for the winter and pick up a few.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:32 AM

573 posts, read 1,239,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
This is so true. We have tried every thing and I brough the off version because I am cheap and it's coverage is a lot more than the other brands. They kids legs no longer look we are abusing them from the bites and scratches. I think I am going to watch for the price drop for the winter and pick up a few.
Yeah if you look at the active ingredient in the Off brand and Cutter brand (apparently it's Lambda-cyhalothrin), the Off brand has .5% while Cutter only has like .16% - I just figured the more the better!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 AM

103 posts, read 200,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Yeah if you look at the active ingredient in the Off brand and Cutter brand (apparently it's Lambda-cyhalothrin), the Off brand has .5% while Cutter only has like .16% - I just figured the more the better!

Thought the same thing when I cracked open the 151 in my cooler...was so nice to sip it outside for a change.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM

573 posts, read 1,239,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit2012 View Post
Thought the same thing when I cracked open the 151 in my cooler...was so nice to sip it outside for a change.
Haha, if the mosquitoes bite you while you're drinking 151 they'd be too wasted to fly around and bite anyone else

Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 PM

19,141 posts, read 16,970,121 times
Per this Link Aedes albopictus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The control of the Asian tiger mosquitoes begins with destroying the places where they lay their eggs, which are never far from where people are being bitten, since they are weak fliers, with only about a 180-meters (200-yard) lifetime flying radius"

If you can eliminate the standing water in your immediate area you should be able to get rid of this pest. They are not going to travel very far to get to you yard.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,838,163 times
considering our neighbors are only 5-10 yards away... we'd have to get them involved too... or just flip their lids and buckets without telling them... like I have had to.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,833,709 times
In Asia whenever this problem pops up - usually with a dengue epidemic - entire neighborhoods and even municipalities make concerted efforts to remove un-necessary standing water in their areas. Everyone gets involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island