Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,829 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]Every neighborhood in the world has bad areas people whom probably don't even vote make the reputation worse than what it is. I own a house in Roosevelt for over 12 years and I lived before in Brooklyn in multiple neighborhoods all where bad a times but people fought and made changes for the better long island is no different same as in kings county it has areas that are bad and good. Read the blogs long island is being affected not just Hempstead wake up and smell the coffee and take pride in long island help fight crime and make a change. Listen to the news carefully long island is becoming a drug empire every town in long island is infested with crime so stop the bad criticizing and do something to make it better. just remember your not safe anywhere gangs and crime are everywhere as long as there is a demand. Look we all thought after the 70’s heroin was gone but take a close look heroin is huge in long island and even in your town. So shut up and do something positive. [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
LOL Roosevelt.

Its not even close to the average LI town.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 AM

74 posts, read 116,941 times
I got family in Roosevelt you mind your business you stop worrying about what other people are into worry about your own self

Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHROOSEVELT View Post
Every neighborhood in the world has bad areas people whom probably don't even vote make the reputation worse than what it is. I own a house in Roosevelt for over 12 years and I lived before in Brooklyn in multiple neighborhoods all where bad a times but people fought and made changes for the better long island is no different same as in kings county it has areas that are bad and good. Read the blogs long island is being affected not just Hempstead wake up and smell the coffee and take pride in long island help fight crime and make a change. Listen to the news carefully long island is becoming a drug empire every town in long island is infested with crime so stop the bad criticizing and do something to make it better. just remember your not safe anywhere gangs and crime are everywhere as long as there is a demand. Look we all thought after the 70’s heroin was gone but take a close look heroin is huge in long island and even in your town. So shut up and do something positive.
Yeah, Roosevelt is an economically struggling town with low-performance schools and it's far from being a pretty area; but to compare it to the warzones of Brooklyn or the Bronx is just unrealistic. There's only been one shooting for months in Roosevelt and that was an isolated domestic violence incident between a couple.

As for Roosevelt compared to the rest of Long Island, it is definitely in the bottom quartile of LI towns in terms of quality of life. However, if your a couple with no kids who are just looking for a quiet suburban life then you can still have a good quality of life. There is easy parkway access and reasonable shopping right in town on nassau rd. However, the property taxes and utility expenses will still be *exponentially* higher than NYC just b/c it's on Long Island.

I do agree that drugs are definitely on the rise on Long Island, but the areas most severely affected [generally-speaking] are the affluent north shore areas (heroin) and much of central Suffolk (meth&heroin). In the so-called "hood" parts of LI, the primary drug is weed; with of course a handful of crackheads remnants from the 80's.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-20-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,694 times
The area between Brookside Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue isn't bad at all, but you're still zoned to Roosevelt schools.

If I had kids, and my budget was so tight that I could only afford Roosevelt, that would be my cue to move elsewhere in the country.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,018 times
Roosevelt is the Rocky Point of Nassau, as close to Utopia as you will get.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 10,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandre View Post
I got family in Roosevelt you mind your business you stop worrying about what other people are into worry about your own self
And that's why Roosevelt is in the shape that it is in. No sense of community. The school district is a disgrace and needs to be shut down. I would never recommend anybody with kids move there.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 PM

429 posts, read 852,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHROOSEVELT View Post
Every neighborhood in the world has bad areas people whom probably don't even vote make the reputation worse than what it is. I own a house in Roosevelt for over 12 years and I lived before in Brooklyn in multiple neighborhoods all where bad a times but people fought and made changes for the better long island is no different same as in kings county it has areas that are bad and good. Read the blogs long island is being affected not just Hempstead wake up and smell the coffee and take pride in long island help fight crime and make a change. Listen to the news carefully long island is becoming a drug empire every town in long island is infested with crime so stop the bad criticizing and do something to make it better. just remember your not safe anywhere gangs and crime are everywhere as long as there is a demand. Look we all thought after the 70’s heroin was gone but take a close look heroin is huge in long island and even in your town. So shut up and do something positive.
I don't even really understand what your post is about. Are you complaining that people talk bad about Roosevelt or are you just saying that Roosevelt is a bad place and no one does anything to help it?

This isn't exactly related, but I was driving down Carmens Rd in Farmingdale/Massapequa/Amityville yesterday near the Sunrise Mall and I couldn't believe how terrible some of the houses looked. Boarded up, siding falling off, overgrown landscaping - I sincerely wondered if the people that own those houses a) Can't afford the maintenance B) Don't want to fix them because the house may not be worth as much as it once was, or C) Simply don't care.

I don't quite understand how one stop caring about a home, regardless of where it's located, but I guess shelter isn't a basic necessity for everyone. With the taxes we pay, it's absolutely insane to me that places like this even exist on Long Island.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Eddie Murphy and Howard Stern spent much of their childhoods in Roosevelt. It shaped two very funny people at least.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Eddie Murphy and Howard Stern spent much of their childhoods in Roosevelt. It shaped two very funny people at least.
Eddie Murphy is hysterical. Who's the 2nd funny person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island