Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM

75 posts, read 227,553 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I know "it depends" on a variety of factors, but next year, my husband and I are looking to put an above ground pool, about 12' round in our backyard. I always wanted one, and we are gonna be here for a while, so i'm not concerned about resale and all that. I am just curious about price, so I know what I need to save towards the project -- I see some "set up yourself" pools that look kinda junky, I don't wanna buy something that is just going to fall apart. I'd love to hear about some of your experiences with this type of thing! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 AM

46 posts, read 108,310 times
I don't have any personal experience with getting an above ground pool installed and all the ramifications (tax increase?) that would come with that project, but, a little googling i was able to find Leslie Pools has a couple of above ground pools in the 920-7000 dollar range. That price only includes the pool its self (liner and side walls), you'd still have to shell out another 400-1500 for a pool pump and filter.

So you're looking at 1500-10,000 cost for the parts and then you'll have to get all this installed... My recommendation, do a little research online to get base prices for the type/size of pool you want then call some companies for estimates to install. I'd also check with the town to see if there is a price jump on your taxes for having a pool installed. Good luck

Pools
Permanent Pools | Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies, the world leader in residential and commercial pool supplies.

Filters/Pumps
Sand Filters | Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies, the world leader in residential and commercial pool supplies.
DE Filters | Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies, the world leader in residential and commercial pool supplies.
Pool Pumps | Leslie's Swimming Pool Supplies, the world leader in residential and commercial pool supplies.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
From $750 to $2500 for a 12' round includes pump, filter, liner and install.
No tax or insurance ramifications unless you want to increase your liability but it is not required.
TOWN PERMIT is a big issue. To LEGALLY add a pool, must fill out permit application (including survey and pool drawings), pool must be in a legal location (or variance must be applied for), must meet fencing requirements (height, location, controls at proper height), must have pool alarm and interior door alarm, backflow control valve on outside hose to pool ($5 item).

So, if all is hunky dory, it's a few hundred dollars and a short wait for the permit. If not, then it can be a major hassle. Or, if you don't plan to do any other house renovations, just get the pool and hope they don't find out.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Are you handy at all? When my sister sold her house, she sold her pool and all the equipment on CL for $500 bucks. She sold it in one day and the people came, drained it, took it apart and carted it away.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:01 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
A 12' pool will be a disappointment. Consider 18' and it's cost is not much more. Pools are easy to maintain as long as you have a cleaning schedule and adhere to it. We had one for 12 years and it was in excellent shape and we gave it away free on Craigslist.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
A 12' pool will be a disappointment. Consider 18' and it's cost is not much more. Pools are easy to maintain as long as you have a cleaning schedule and adhere to it. We had one for 12 years and it was in excellent shape and we gave it away free on Craigslist.
Great points. 12' round is tiny and mostly found in a queens or brooklyn small backyard. THere are always a few being given away on craigslist. Either empty nesters who want their yard back, people who don't want to get a permit or those who bought a house that had one and don't want it. Some of the pool installers will do the take down, move and setup for a single fee.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM

75 posts, read 227,553 times
thanks for the input on the size...I will consider 18', too -- I'm just starting to do research so I don't really have much of an idea about sizes. i did consider getting one off CL, but I'm not positive we wouldn't totally screw it up I think the permit situation in town isn't so bad considering nearly all my neighbors have pools, too.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
Not sure where you live but 99% of the people in Islip Town with above ground pools have no permit. You do though need to remember the fence to protect little ones and yourself.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
I have the only 100% legal above ground pool on LI. Seriously.

I would suggest not getting a permit, especially for a small 12' pool.
If you plan on doing any work on your house that requires a new survey (Extension, garage, dormer, new bathroom, etc) plan on getting nailed for having the pool.
I would also suggest not listening to anyone who claims to know about the legality of the pool, or what's required to make it legal. Trust me-they have no idea.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I have the only 100% legal above ground pool on LI. Seriously.

I would suggest not getting a permit, especially for a small 12' pool.
If you plan on doing any work on your house that requires a new survey (Extension, garage, dormer, new bathroom, etc) plan on getting nailed for having the pool.
I would also suggest not listening to anyone who claims to know about the legality of the pool, or what's required to make it legal. Trust me-they have no idea.
Agree up to a point. I have the other legal AG pool. The "claims" are from spending all of last year legalizing the pool, shed and fence. If you see something inaccurate, why not point that out specifically? Again, no good deed goes unpunished on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island