Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:38 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a building permit is required to install a sun room on my property.

I already have a 4" poured cement slab - is a foundation required?

I hesitate to call 4 Seasons as I heard their sales pitch is extremely agressive and I don't want to have to be rude for them to leave me alone.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Does anyone know if a building permit is required to install a sun room on my property.

I already have a 4" poured cement slab - is a foundation required?

I hesitate to call 4 Seasons as I heard their sales pitch is extremely agressive and I don't want to have to be rude for them to leave me alone.

Thanks
I can't speak for the permit but I can speak for 4 Seasons. They were the topic of my first post on C-D. They want you to decide on the spot and if you decline, they call their manager right in front of you. At least that's what they did with windows.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
While I can't speak for Hempstead specifically I can to TNH, so may I ask a question? Is this a structure that will remain up all year or are you thinking of something that you dismantle and store in the garage? IF you only have a slab and no foundation, I can guarantee that for certain that you will need a permit and you will need a foundation if it is to remain up all year. The slab would have to be able to support the walls and roof, snow etc. so unless ypu plan on putting up a screen/sun room that stores I would say you are out of luck. That was the case in TNH for my neighbor who had a patio of concrete.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
On LI you need a permit to brush your teeth

Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
On LI you need a permit to brush your teeth
The fee is doubled if you use toothpaste and you'll need an updated set of xrays.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM

103 posts, read 200,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
The fee is doubled if you use toothpaste and you'll need an updated set of xrays.

I didn't have a CO for my bridge, when I submitted the plans, they determined that my molar was too close to my bicuspid, and my canines were too big. Working on getting a variance now. Been eating a lot of soup.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit2012 View Post
I didn't have a CO for my bridge, when I submitted the plans, they determined that my molar was too close to my bicuspid, and my canines were too big. Working on getting a variance now. Been eating a lot of soup.
This is one of those statements that's funny and not funny at the same time. Speaking as someone who went through hell with the Town of North Hempstead two years ago, I can attest that the above analogy is 100% accurate. Now that my ordeal is over, I can laugh at your post but I often felt like crying at the time I was going through it.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
This is one of those statements that's funny and not funny at the same time. Speaking as someone who went through hell with the Town of North Hempstead two years ago, I can attest that the above analogy is 100% accurate. Now that my ordeal is over, I can laugh at your post but I often felt like crying at the time I was going through it.
I second this and would add that in the TNH you need a permit to buy the toothbruch first!!! And if you already bought the brush it will cost you 4 times the price as a penalty!!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
I know 1st hand of Seniors that went tru Hell with no CO in the town of Huntington.They should issue brown shirts to the code police!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,283 times
Default sunroom

Hi
Iam the owner of Illuminating Enterprises Inc
Sunrooms/Patio Rooms/Conservatories
Celebrating 26 years in this industry.
We will not haunt you like Four Seasons
you will love our products.
We care about our customers and their satisfaction.
As far as building permits are concerned sunrooms need a permit.
A 4" slab is is not sufficient for an all glass room.You need a total 3'0" deep footing.
It has to go 18" below the frost line.
If you want to check out our web illuminate-enterprises.com
facebook illuminating enterprises inc
There are many photos of our work
with an impeccable BBB/Consumer Affair record.
Thank you
Steve M, Owner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island