Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we open a Dairy Queen on the island?
Yes, I think it could do well. 41 80.39%
No, we don't need or want a Dairy Queen. 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM

377 posts, read 642,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ho Jo's fried clams, 28 flavors ice cream, and hot dogs with the bun split from the top in half.

Why would you go to DQ for ice cream when you had 28 flavors at Ho Jo's?

Don't worry if you don't remember the hot dog buns, I'm going back to the '40's
Hmm....I don't know why we grabbed dessert from DQ instead of Ho Jo's. Maybe my aunt and uncle felt the need to spread out our eating a bit so that us wee ones did not get carsick on the way home. We got the DQ's to go, so maybe that is why. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,394,328 times
I remember a DQ in Port Jefferson back in the 80's..
Blizzards kick butt. They seem to put Carvel's down here out of business.
2 Carvels I know of that opened here both went bust....

When we have visitors here from LI (like I do now) they always want DQ at least once.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,188,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are 4 B&J on LI -- two in movie theaters -- Farmingdale and Holtsville multiplexes, one in Huntington, the other in Westhampton Beach. There had been one in Smithtown -- the shopping center on the SW corner of 25&111. It folded a few years ago.
Yeesh, I have to go all the way out there! But good to know! Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,957,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ho Jo's fried clams, 28 flavors ice cream, and hot dogs with the bun split from the top in half.

Why would you go to DQ for ice cream when you had 28 flavors at Ho Jo's?

Don't worry if you don't remember the hot dog buns, I'm going back to the '40's

I was a HOJO girl!!!! Goodness did I hate fish fry all you can eat!!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 PM

629 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Ralph's is seasonal
Yes - and I surmise that is what makes them profitable. I have to imagine that selling ice cream in the northeast is somewhat a seasonal business. Ralph's doesn't try selling ice to Eskimo's, so-to-speak, but rather packs it in for the Winter which minimized their overhead during their off season. Just a guess though - I'm not in the ice cream making business.

Quote:
Rarely see a Haagen Dazs-I remember one on Queens Blvd years ago but I think it closed
Sunrise Mall, Smithaven Mall, South Shore Mall, Roosevelt Field, Great Neck, Westhampton Beach , etc.

Quote:
Never seen a Ben & Jerry's in NYC or LI
Huntington Village, Westhampton Beach, Farmingdale

Quote:
Never had Tina's. Where can I find one?
Sorry I said Tina's (which is a stand-alone shop in Bluepoint), I meant RITA's - they are all over the Island.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM

629 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
That would be my pick. If I am going to get ice cream I want something homemade and special. Not some bland chain ice cream novelty. There are lots of special places for ice cream and that's where I go.
Agreed - I'll take a trip to Hildebrandt's or McNulty's any day over a chain.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 PM

721 posts, read 1,560,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Agreed - I'll take a trip to Hildebrandt's or McNulty's any day over a chain.
I have a new favorite-- Magic Fountain. Yum. But yes, Hildebrant's or Snowflake or Herell's or In The Mood or...

Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 PM

24 posts, read 35,055 times
Try to open a DQ in LI. Good Luck with that. Someone has had the franchise agreement for long Island for at least the last 22 years that I know of.
I wanted to open 1 up then in 1990. I believe he still has it & will not be opening 1 up anytime soon.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,980,441 times
Ritas is the nastiest crap on earth. How they survive (which they don't seem to be doing) is a mystery. My wife and I were insulted as NYers by what they called italian ices.
Carvel has some nerve charging $5 for a soft serve cone.
Haagen Daaz and Ben and Jerrys are only in malls and theaters.
Oddly the trend right now is upscale self serve frozen yogurt (FroYo, 16 Handles, etc) places popping up and Jamba Juice is coming soon (1st one near Stonybrook in the works).
DQ should do OK if in a busy spot. Crap grease burgers and soft serve vanilla with candy mixed in? Right about LI's speed.
Could be big with the weekend car show crowd.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:51 PM

11,578 posts, read 12,597,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
That would be my pick. If I am going to get ice cream I want something homemade and special. Not some bland chain ice cream novelty. There are lots of special places for ice cream and that's where I go.
I agree.

The Carvel franchise is a mess. They were the go-to place for such a long time for soft ice cream or what used to be called "custard," but the product has not been good for a very long time. Baskin Robins isn't what it used to be either and if it's located in a Dunkin Donuts, you're lucky if they have 5 flavors. I like Jeni's which is a mid-western southern chain, but it's pricey. The only DQ I have ever been to was in Hawaii and that seemed to be the only place at the time for a stand-alone ice cream place, other than the shaved ice places. Louie's is kind of like Ritas, but I've never tried it. Is Maggie Moo still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island