Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

293 posts, read 959,031 times

Advertisements

I lived in a very nice area in Holbrook by Merrimac elementary and loved it. Like most towns, you have your nice sections and your less desireable sections. My kids attended the Sachem district and we were very pleased with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04 View Post
I lived in a very nice area in Holbrook by Merrimac elementary and loved it. Like most towns, you have your nice sections and your less desireable sections. My kids attended the Sachem district and we were very pleased with it.
Merrimacs a good school.
I know some teachers there.

C

Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
As I posted on the other thread that if I leave NB I'll be looking into the following areas: Dix Hills, Kings Park, West Islip, and East Islip.

Although, I'm curious about Holbrook. Some of the neighborhoods seem ok, but they all lack life and character. Also, the neighborhoods seem far away from convenient shopping. Patchogue-Holbrook road is sterile.

I know people that live there and they love it.

I went to the Holtsville Zoo the other day and came away with mixed feelings. On one hand the ecology center is a real cool thing, but the upkeep of the park grounds is sub-standard. Also, if the visitors are any indication of what the residents around are like then I would just as well avoid the area.

A trip to the pool there is like a trip to Jackson Heights in the summer.
You wouldn't like it.

C

Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
As I posted on the other thread that if I leave NB I'll be looking into the following areas: Dix Hills, Kings Park, West Islip, and East Islip.

Although, I'm curious about Holbrook. Some of the neighborhoods seem ok, but they all lack life and character. Also, the neighborhoods seem far away from convenient shopping. Patchogue-Holbrook road is sterile.

I know people that live there and they love it.

I went to the Holtsville Zoo the other day and came away with mixed feelings. On one hand the ecology center is a real cool thing, but the upkeep of the park grounds is sub-standard. Also, if the visitors are any indication of what the residents around are like then I would just as well avoid the area.
Go with Kings Park.

I think its the best fit for you.

Tom...wouldnt you agree?

Clean, working class N Shore town.

C

Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
We used to frequent the Ecology Center all the time. There is not such a bad element, depending when you go. (early in the day, off peak).
My husband used to work out there all the time (there's a great track) and it's free and they have 'rescued' animals.

Holbrook is not 'near' shopping...you have to drive a bit to get to places. Also it's a big town..some falls under Town of Islip, some under Town of Crookhaven.

Why not look into Islip as well? (if you want to pay for E. Islip, you may consider Islip). At least it has a real town and you are near supermarkets, a very good library, and the town beach is great.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:44 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
I think East Islip is a great town, there are some homes that are still affordable over there, and the district is a good one.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,366 times
Quote:
A trip to the pool there is like a trip to Jackson Heights in the summer.
You wouldn't like it.
, its that bad Clamboy!

I did notice the pool area as in need of updating - nothing great. Our pool here in NB at Phelps Lane is awesome.

Are the schools in Sachem seeing an influx of ESL and bilingual education students?

What about those expensive homes in Somerset and Summerfield and The Colony - seems like some money going into the area. No?

I think Sachem might have to be looked at with CAUTION. The area seems have too many negatives: very large school district, the airport noise and pollution, influx if illegals in Farmingville, Ronkonkoma and Holtsville, lack of nearby shopping, bland boring neighborhoods, substandard public pool facilities, and anything else you guy mentioned.

Positives: you can get a lot of home for your money, the elementary schools are relatively good. Merrimac seems to be the best, but what about the High Schools?

Clamboy, What do you think of Middle Country Schools? Selden and Centereach?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 AM

93 posts, read 607,013 times
Quote:
I think this topic deserves its own thread.

How do you folks out there feel about Sachem schools?

Academics...ok slightly above
Safety...ok
Sports....all that most parents care about
Special Education.....great teachers bad upper admin see my other post
School Community.....ok....huge population of SAHmoms and PT workers

How do you rate these communities that are part of the Sachem school district:

Holbrook...best for commuters great shopping (gateway plaza) nice "real" main street great schools merrimac/tamarac Steve Levy lives here and takes great pride in Holbrook beautification currently happening.
Lake Groove....technically Centereach. Nice areas tho especially south of 25. wenonah and the school on hawkins is very good traffic insane on Hawkins and moriches rd because of the mall.
Ronkonkoma and/or Lake Ronkonkoma too close to Central Islip lake is not what it could be although Raynor park is beautifull...has great shopping too can fing affordable housing
Farmingville....abandoned by suffolk county. Cannot be what it could be because of that. Housing prices are surprisingly high in West Farmingville and east of 83
Holtsville nothing distinct about Holtsville except the ecology center which is awesome for the community. Summerfield way over priced since it is right on the boarder to Farmingville. shopping stinks unless you like KMART very affordable homes though.
North Patchogue
most of it is Bayport Blue point which is an amazing district (beat 3V in scores) have no idea about the Special ED

Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 AM

93 posts, read 607,013 times
oh also to mention as far as pool.... facilities the ecology center is only for brookhaven BUT sachem residents can use the pools at both high schools. The adult ed is great along with the library has great programs from babies to seniors.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Yes, Sachem has an awesome library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island