Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 12:23 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Good one, Momma's boy. The Dictator ticket. That's the only one I would run on. Immediately arrest anyone under 25 freeloading off their parent's. Plus, I didn't write the draft (which you obviously didn't read). The LI Economic Council did.
Quote:
Bwahaha... My brother was a failed musician as well. He had all those hopes and dreams and failed too. He wasted his youth as well touring the country hoping to make it. He was lucky though that he didn't meet a trick who forced him to live where he didn't want to. He purchased his home on LI way before you though. "It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault."
Yeah, but I paid my own rent. Didn't stand on Daddy's shoulders and call myself tall! Nancy may not notice you called my wife a trick but I did. Savor the flavor tough guy. It wouldn't happen in real life. Not unless you were standing behind da-da.

PS: Sounds like you are totally jealous of your brother. He toured the country living the dream and then settled down and bought a house. You lived at home and then bought a house. To each his own. I couldn't afford living here without the royalties from my failed career (which was a lot of fun, too).

I'll call it even on the insults. Done arguing with you unless you want to comment on the actual points. You asked for a plan. I gave you one. LI Economic Council draft. I like it.

Last edited by mongoose65; 10-23-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 PM

426 posts, read 960,210 times
As Mongoose and a few others have been saying the last few pages.....yes, it is cheaper out east....yes, I'm SURE you can find something "Charming" in towns like Coram, Mastic, Port Jeff Station, and Middle Island but who wants to commute to NYC from all the way out there?

The drive to the Ronkonkoma train station from those towns is about 20 minutes or so, then its another 1 hour, 20 minute ride into Penn....and that doesn't even include the fact if you have to take the subway also. It's a hell of a commute for even the most "hardened" individual. It would take about 2 hours each way, thats 4 hours out of your life every day. That time could be spent with family, kids, or just doing other things on your own that you enjoy.

As Mongoose said, thats not a very good quality of life. And I'm sure the people who do it are miserable....all they probably do is work, eat and go to sleep.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM

426 posts, read 960,210 times
However, the same houses or properties in Nassau would be considerably more expensive, and the taxes would be higher also I'm sure and probably for a lot less property (most Nassau properties I find to be 80 x 100 lots) whereas in Suffolk you can get a nice half acre or even an acre for the same price with a nice big backyard.

Where can you get an acre in Nassau? Not many places.

And then if you want to consider the "affordable" apartment complexes like Archstone and Meadowbrooke or even Fairfield you will be paying 1800+ for a 1 bedroom with no utilities included.

Why can't they make a nice affordable apartment or housing development in the young, hip commuter towns like Huntington, Babylon, or Rockville Centre?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Just to be clear I am all for any and all development on LI. As long as my property isn't touched than I have no objections towards progress. I don't believe it is something that is possible as long as most LIers are against it. Fact is most move away from the city for more space and Nassau is pretty tight. Even in my area there are some decent plots of land that neighbors would allow single family homes but, not condos. I never went to any of the meetings as I really didn't care what was built as long as the empty weed field became something.

I was never advocating someone live in mastic and work in Manhattan. I was merely stating that if one was able to save money and didn't discriminate about a couple points on school rankings, there are some affordable places to live for young adults looking for a house. On LI though, as well as most areas within 50 miles of Manhattan, a house that goes for <300k will require alot of elbow grease or cash to fix it up or is in a challenged area that requires one to be a diligent parent and have civic awareness.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
However, the same houses or properties in Nassau would be considerably more expensive, and the taxes would be higher also I'm sure and probably for a lot less property (most Nassau properties I find to be 80 x 100 lots) whereas in Suffolk you can get a nice half acre or even an acre for the same price with a nice big backyard.

Where can you get an acre in Nassau? Not many places.

And then if you want to consider the "affordable" apartment complexes like Archstone and Meadowbrooke or even Fairfield you will be paying 1800+ for a 1 bedroom with no utilities included.

Why can't they make a nice affordable apartment or housing development in the young, hip commuter towns like Huntington, Babylon, or Rockville Centre?
I think long island has enough just drive down oakdale.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Quote:
....all they probably do is work, eat and go to sleep.
That seems to be what most people on long island do lol they think there living the dream.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM

77 posts, read 164,733 times
Quote:
As Mongoose and a few others have been saying the last few pages.....yes, it is cheaper out east....yes, I'm SURE you can find something "Charming" in towns like Coram, Mastic, Port Jeff Station, and Middle Island but who wants to commute to NYC from all the way out there?

The drive to the Ronkonkoma train station from those towns is about 20 minutes or so, then its another 1 hour, 20 minute ride into Penn....and that doesn't even include the fact if you have to take the subway also. It's a hell of a commute for even the most "hardened" individual. It would take about 2 hours each way, thats 4 hours out of your life every day. That time could be spent with family, kids, or just doing other things on your own that you enjoy.

As Mongoose said, thats not a very good quality of life. And I'm sure the people who do it are miserable....all they probably do is work, eat and go to sleep.
Plenty of people commute from these towns to NYC and they are not miserable. Yes during the work week all most people do is work, eat and sleep. My brother and cousins are in their 30's and live and work in Manhattan. They work 50+ hours a week and they don't commute to/from LI. They stay even later at work because they have no commute and then grab dinner and a drink on the way home. Some have a "nanny" and their wives also work and some travel a few nights a week all over the country (and my brother travels all over the world). They live in apartments not much larger then my garage and are making twice as much as we are. Such is life.
The people I know living out here and working in NYC are actually very happy as far as I can tell. My neighbors could move anywhere as their house is paid for but they have no desire to move at all. Also I know of a few others that left Nassau and moved out here for the peace and quiet and commute to NYC daily. There are a large amount of people here that drive into NYC for work. They leave at 5am and start work before 7am, then head back to LI by 3 or 4pm. They are home by 7pm the latest. These are the union construction workers (iron workers, union insulators, elevator operators, ect). NYPD, MTA and FDNY all do shift work so they are not always commuting at rush hour.

Last edited by 7Heaven; 10-23-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
I was never advocating someone live in mastic and work in Manhattan. I was merely stating that if one was able to save money and didn't discriminate about a couple points on school rankings, there are some affordable places to live for young adults looking for a house. On LI though, as well as most areas within 50 miles of Manhattan, a house that goes for <300k will require alot of elbow grease or cash to fix it up or is in a challenged area that requires one to be a diligent parent and have civic awareness.
But if someone is unable to get a job on Long Island, they are forced to work in Manhattan. What do you suggest they do if they can't afford areas more expensive than Mastic?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Heaven View Post
Plenty of people commute from these towns to NYC and they are not miserable. Yes during the work week all most people do is work, eat and sleep.
That would make me miserable. Maybe I just have the wrong personality type.

Quote:
My brother and cousins are in their 30's and live and work in Manhattan. They work 50+ hours a week and they don't commute to/from LI.
Most of us can't afford to live in Manhattan!

Quote:
They stay even later at work because they have no commute and then grab dinner and a drink on the way home. Some have a "nanny" and their wives also work and some travel a few nights a week all over the country (and my brother travels all over the world). They live in apartments not much larger then my garage and are making twice as much as we are. Such is life.
Most of us don't have jobs that pay that much.

Quote:
The people I know living out here and working in NYC are actually very happy as far as I can tell. My neighbors could move anywhere as their house is paid for but they have no desire to move at all.
Where? Mastic? As I said before, even if I took the first train of the day from Mastic, I would not be able to get to Manhattan early enough for a job in my field.

Quote:
Also I know of a few others that left Nassau and moved out here for the peace and quiet and commute to NYC daily. There are a large amount of people here that drive into NYC for work. They leave at 5am and start work before 7am, then head back to LI by 3 or 4pm. They are home by 7pm the latest. These are the union construction workers (iron workers, union insulators, elevator operators, ect). NYPD, MTA and FDNY all do shift work so they are not always commuting at rush hour.
In my field, if you are working in the city, you are expected to be at work from 7 AM to 5 PM as an absolute minimum. I would never be able to leave work at 3 or 4 PM.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM

596 posts, read 982,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But if someone is unable to get a job on Long Island, they are forced to work in Manhattan. What do you suggest they do if they can't afford areas more expensive than Mastic?

Who is "forced" to work anywhere (besides the sex slaves)? Accepting any job without first figuring out if you can afford to live within reasonable commuting distance is very foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island