Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Everybody complains there are no affordable houses. then when I say we have affordable condos people say ew a condo.

People on long island want mcmansions and that's the problem.
On my end, I'm happy you found what you're looking for. The thing is, for those of us working in the city, that's a horrendous commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Everybody complains there are no affordable houses. then when I say we have affordable condos people say ew a condo.

People on long island want mcmansions and that's the problem.
that's quite a leap to say everyone that doesn't want a condo also wants a mcmansion. Most people just want a lawn and some privacy.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Instead of accusing me of trolling, how about you answer the question: where on Long Island are there 3 bedroom condos that are in a good school district, that is a reasonable commute to the city? (bigjretrac was the one who mentioned the commute to the city this time, not me).
Don't drag me into this-- I'm not saying you have to have all four requirements, just saying that it's give and take. I said for ME SPECIFICALLY that would be a killer. However, I also don't need 3 bedrooms, so it's all good.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Instead of accusing me of trolling, how about you answer the question: where on Long Island are there 3 bedroom condos that are in a good school district, that is a reasonable commute to the city? (bigjretrac was the one who mentioned the commute to the city this time, not me).
you didn't ask a question, you simply made another one of your misinformed assumptions. And now you're adding "close to the city" as a prerequisite when that wasn't mentioned in your original statement. So why don't you figure out exactly what it is your saying if it's not too hard for you? Although, we all know no matter what information you're given, you'll ultimately ignore it as it likely won't conform to your preconceived notions.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:23 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you didn't ask a question, you simply made another one of your misinformed assumptions. And now you're adding "close to the city" as a prerequisite when that wasn't mentioned in your original statement. So why don't you figure out exactly what it is your saying if it's not too hard for you? Although, we all know no matter what information you're given, you'll ultimately ignore it as it likely won't conform to your preconceived notions.
Instead of being rude, like you are in every single post, maybe at least try mentioning some condo complexes that have 3 bedroom units, and let the readers decide whether or not they are in a good enough school district and close enough to the city.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Why do you need three bedrooms and a good school district if you have no kids? Make wifey get a job, put her paychecks straight into savings (since I'm guessing you're able to pay your bills on your salary alone), then after a couple of years, you should be able to make a down payment on your dream 3br in a great school district.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
What's pathetic is throwing rent away in your 20's and then hitting your 30's and then you can't afford to buy anything and you just keep digging yourself deeper & deeper.
I 'threw' rent away, lived in some of the most expensive cities in the US ( SF, NY, LI )- and came out in my 30s and own a home, and have two rental properties.

LI rentals are expensive because the 'planners' of the Island are all locked into ownership, and the only way their dilapidated levitt houses have any value is if nothing else is ever built.

I'll pass.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I 'threw' rent away, lived in some of the most expensive cities in the US ( SF, NY, LI )- and came out in my 30s and own a home, and have two rental properties.

LI rentals are expensive because the 'planners' of the Island are all locked into ownership, and the only way their dilapidated levitt houses have any value is if nothing else is ever built.

I'll pass.
Well perhaps if you didnt throw that money away you could have owned in your 20's

Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
We will eventually have kids.

I have said many times that she is trying hard to find a job, but nobody wants to hire her because of the economy. I can't force anyone to hire her. Stop being a jerk.
Ah, okay-- offering a pragmatic solution makes me a jerk

Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
We will eventually have kids.

I have said many times that she is trying hard to find a job, but nobody wants to hire her because of the economy. I can't force anyone to hire her. Stop being a jerk.
It is a tough market out there but could she get some small job for the time being so she at least has some $$ coming in? Swallowing your pride sucks but some $$ is better than none.

Or maybe she is already doing that?

Meh job applying is doody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island