Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Ah, okay-- offering a pragmatic solution makes me a jerk
You did not offer a pragmatic solution. You said I should "force" my wife to get a job, when you know very well that she has been trying hard to find a job, but nobody is hiring her. If one could "force" an employer to hire someone, we wouldn't have the unemployment problem that we have. Your post was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

The truth is that there doesn't seem to be any 3 bedroom condos on Long Island that meet the criteria that most Long Islanders want (good school district, close to city), and I get labeled a troll for pointing that out. I then ask what condo complexes meet those criteria and have 3 bedroom units, and I'm told none. I then ask what condo complexes have 3 bedroom units; each individual can then decide if it's a good enough school district and close enough to the city. Nobody answers that either, even though it's a straightforward question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It is a tough market out there but could she get some small job for the time being so she at least has some $$ coming in? Swallowing your pride sucks but some $$ is better than none.

Or maybe she is already doing that?

Meh job applying is doody.
The problem is, she's overqualified for the jobs you're talking about (due to her education), but underqualified for real jobs (due to her lack of work experience).

Old 04-08-2014, 07:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Instead of being rude, like you are in every single post, maybe at least try mentioning some condo complexes that have 3 bedroom units, and let the readers decide whether or not they are in a good enough school district and close enough to the city.
Oceanside.

Now instead of being obtuse, narrow-minded, and willfully ignorant like you are in every single post, maybe at least try to listen to what people are telling you.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The problem is, she's overqualified for the jobs you're talking about (due to her education), but underqualified for real jobs (due to her lack of work experience).
What's wrong with being overqualified? Has she applied for jobs she's overqualified for?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ In general, overqualification means the employee may not stay for long... employers don't want to hire someone who may bolt as soon as something else comes along. Anyone who's overqualified for a particular job should be actively looking even with a job and they know it. Sure you've heard of people with law degrees doing clerical jobs, but that is unlikely the norm even in these times.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ In general, overqualification means the employee may not stay for long... employers don't want to hire someone who may bolt as soon as something else comes along. Anyone who's overqualified for a particular job should be actively looking even with a job and they know it. Sure you've heard of people with law degrees doing clerical jobs, but that is unlikely the norm even in these times.
Norm shmorm....if the woman can bring home 300$ a week working any job, that's 15k a year they can put towards a SFH. I can't imagine any company looking to hire a 40 yr old with no work experience, no matter where she grew up or what education she has.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Oceanside.

Now instead of being obtuse, narrow-minded, and willfully ignorant like you are in every single post, maybe at least try to listen to what people are telling you.
Do you mind telling us what condo complexes in Oceanside you recommend?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
What's wrong with being overqualified?
See rh71's response below (he/she said exactly what I was going to say).

Quote:
Has she applied for jobs she's overqualified for?
Yes she has, and they don't hire her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Exactly. That is her problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Norm shmorm....if the woman can bring home 300$ a week working any job, that's 15k a year they can put towards a SFH. I can't imagine any company looking to hire a 40 yr old with no work experience, no matter where she grew up or what education she has.
Again, that is the problem; they don't want to hire her.

Can we please drop the issue of my wife working or not working? The question here is about affordable housing (especially condos) for young adults.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Can anyone answer why "young adults" are able/willing to live in such Spartan, overpriced conditions when it comes to living in NYC but are just horrified that low cost housing option aren't on LI?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Can anyone answer why "young adults" are able/willing to live in such Spartan, overpriced conditions when it comes to living in NYC but are just horrified that low cost housing option aren't on LI?
I suspect that they are different categories of "young adults". The ones living in Spartan, overpriced conditions in the city are mostly single, ambitious, work-oriented young adults in their 20s living with roommates. The ones who want to live on Long Island are slightly older (late 20s / early 30s), less work-oriented, more family oriented, and likely married (or at least in a serious relationship) and either have kids or are planning to have kids in the near future.

Another factor may be that in NYC, renting is the norm. Unless you are super-rich, if you want to live in NYC, you resign to the fact that you will likely have to rent. But on Long Island, people want to avoid renting at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island