Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBerry Messenger View Post
School taxes are billed with property taxes - if you pay property taxes, you pay school taxes. I'm not seeing the distinction here.

We don't need three cars - it is a choice. Our cars are older (2005 Volkswagen, 2003 Audi, 1988 Porsche) but in good condition. If we were to purchase a new car - the loan payment would be around $400 a month. 400x12 = $4800. Leaving out insurance and fuel, we don't spend more than $4800 on maintenance/tires/registration fees in a year on all three cars.

I don't find the rent to be "ridic" at all. We are in a safe neighborhood with an excellent school district. The house has an ample back yard and is well maintained. It is well worth the additional expense to live in a neighborhood where I don't worry if I remembered to lock the front door.

I'm not comfortable discussing online the sleeping habits of myself or my wife; and I'm aware of what the monthly mortgage payment will be on homes in our price range.
I was referring to an illegal rental in which the LL pays the property & school taxes.

$3300 is still crazy rent a month and you could get a mortgage for less. Maybe if you didnt have 3 cars one being a porsche u would already be owning.

This is exactly why ppl think LI is too expensive. It's about lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 AM

413 posts, read 599,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Maybe if you didnt have 3 cars one being a porsche u would already be owning.
Wow, your weird judgmental condescension towards "renting" is more of the problem than actual renters. Anyone who chose to rent since 2007 probably saved enough in taxes and interest (while losing zero in equity) to buy two Porsches and the sales taxes incurred by their "lifestyle" is doing more to help the tax base (since it supports employment) than your property/school taxes (which feed the machine but do zero to grow the tax base). Ugh, now I'm in the Mits/Dawg vortex. Good grief. Any metro region needs a combination of ownership AND rentals to grow an economy. If the Nimby dullards would approve some legal ones, there wouldn't be a glut of illegal ones, would there? The market is there. The political will is not. And the Island takes another dump on itself to maintain it's 1950's illusion of "unique suburban character."

Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Wow, your weird judgmental condescension towards "renting" is more of the problem than actual renters. Anyone who chose to rent since 2007 probably saved enough in taxes and interest (while losing zero in equity) to buy two Porsches and the sales taxes incurred by their "lifestyle" is doing more to help the tax base (since it supports employment) than your property/school taxes (which feed the machine but do zero to grow the tax base). Ugh, now I'm in the Mits/Dawg vortex. Good grief.
You dont build equity in renting.

You dont save $$ renting, especially when what you are paying per month is more than what a mortgage would be.

Renting isnt my problem. My problem is people who complain it's too expensive but they refuse to compromise their lifestyle or do anything about it. It is not Long Island's fault it's expensive - it's the fault of the people who continue to live the same way year after year and complain and complain but dont change their ways.

Renting is fine but dont b'tch & complain you cant afford anything when you own 3 luxury vehicles. Thats no ones fault but yours.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
$3300 is still crazy rent a month and you could get a mortgage for less.
Yeah - but you forgot about the taxes! Mortgage + taxes!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Homeowning is good for communities. Renting really isnt. A lot of people dont always welcome renters - they take up parking spaces on the street, dont contribute to the school taxes yet they may have kids who use the schools. In a sense, renters are sort of cheating the system. Most apartments arent legal anyway so really renters have no right being there in the first place. As an owner, I have always been nice to the renters on my block but I'm not a fan of renting in general on the LL or tenant side. I would feel terrible knowingly renting out an illegal apt to someone.
What are you talking about?

Rental communities pay property taxes, rental communities pay school taxes.
Parking is for cars, not for homeowners.
Plenty of cities worldwide have huge rental communities, high rises, population- and they're working out just fine.

Renters who are illegally subdividing their single family homes would NOT have renters if the niche was filled elsewhere.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 AM

99 posts, read 258,299 times
Quote:
I was referring to an illegal rental in which the LL pays the property & school taxes.

$3300 is still crazy rent a month and you could get a mortgage for less. Maybe if you didnt have 3 cars one being a porsche u would already be owning.

This is exactly why ppl think LI is too expensive. It's about lifestyle.
Listen sweetheart, I've had enough of your criticism over our choice in automobiles.

The 2005 Volkswagen is a Jetta station wagon. It is a base model - hand crank windows, cloth seats, no sunroof, manual transmission. It does have air conditioning and a CD player. It has a diesel engine. It gets about 40 miles per gallon, more on the highway. We purchased it in 2009 for $8500 when it had 120,000 miles.

The 2003 Audi is an A4 sedan. My wife drives it to work. I chose it for her. She works long hours in the winter and having all wheel drive is important to her. I suppose I could have bought her a Subaru. But $6500 isn't exactly breaking the bank. Bought 2010 with 90,000 miles when we got pregnant. She was driving same car she had in college, a 1991 Honda Civic. This is a much safer car and while a luxury brand, it was rather affordable.

The 1988 Porsche was my father-in-law's. My wife is an only child and the car was left to us. The kids don't ride in it much - so we don't drive it much. It has sentimental value and we do not wish to sell it.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
It seems that people in this thread don't seem to understand the concept that different people have different things that they find important in life, and are willing to sacrifice in other areas to have what's important, even if it makes no sense to someone else. If owning 3 luxury cars is important to you, and if renting is a sacrifice you are willing to make, then that is fine; nothing wrong with that.

In my case, having dinner with my family almost every night, and having extended family in close proximity is important to me. Those are both more important to me than having a lot of money. That is why I choose to live and work on Long Island, rather than relocating elsewhere, or commuting to the city. I know that my preference makes no sense to some people here. I do realize that I have been judgmental of the people who choose to relocate, or who choose long commutes to the city. But you have also been very judgmental of me. And people are being judgmental of JDawg and CrackBerryMessenger for decisions that they made, which fit with their preferences and values, but might not make sense to others.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 6,750 times
First, Save for 5 or 6 years... try to live frugally and pay if you can %50 down payment on the mortgage.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:45 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I didn't read thru every one of the 30++ pages of this thread- but I got the sense that the OP was single. Many single people in the NY area still have roommates in their early 30's. Those who don't have roommates are usually married or living with a SO so they also have a roommate in a sense.

If someone wants to start a family on LI but can't afford to- well, I really don't know what to say to that. Long Island is expensive. Maybe Queens or a lesser school district on LI would be their options. It's expensive to live in a beautiful suburb in a top school district *anywhere* in the NY area- not everyone is going to be able to afford it. Who on earth is going to want to build housing that they sell at less than market value? Or are you suggesting that we subsidize middle income housing?? Because that's what it would take.
There is subsidized housing for poor people. Why should poor people be able to live here if middle class people can't? Maybe a better idea would be to somehow pressure employers on Long Island to raise their salaries.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
There is subsidized housing for poor people. Why should poor people be able to live here if middle class people can't? Maybe a better idea would be to somehow pressure employers on Long Island to raise their salaries.
As it often appears that the most significant employers on the island are public sector/government jobs do you really want to pressure them to give you another tax increase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island