Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times

Advertisements

Only on LI, I swear. Afraid of a healthy tree. Maybe prozac would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Send the property owner a cerified letter, return receipt requested, formally notifying him that his tree is dangerous and you will hold him civilly responsible if it damages your property.He is then on notice.

If you can find his insurance company, they may force the tree removal.
It doesn't work like that though. If the tree is perfectly healthy, sending that letter means nothing even if it does fall. Insurance companies don't cover what they often refer to as "acts of nature", which applies to trees falling due to nature. If you had the tree inspected and it was deemed dangerous and then it fell on your property, this neighbor would be at fault.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You can send a letter to him every year stating that the tree is tall, close to the house, and presents a danger were it to fall (ie in a storm). This IS a protection if anything ever does happen - the owner is on notice that the tree is a potential menace due to its size and location and that the owner ignored it.
Yet again, insurance companies do not cover "acts of nature" especially if the tree is healthy and strong. If the tree is perfectly healthy and it falls over in a windstorm/hurricane etc.. the neighbor would not be responsible for any damages incurred due to an "act of nature". Sending these letters will do absolutely nothing and will not accomplish anything. Also if you live in such fear of trees falling, why don't you move? Complaining and getting scared about something isn't a way to live your life. Just saying.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Taz
I found the perfect new home for you.
But be careful. I heard that bush on the side can be nasty when the wind blows !

Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Oh man, this thread embodies all that's wrong with LI (as do many others here). Taz Kenny strikes again.

"My neighbor has a tree and I'm worried it might hit my house!"
"Is it diseased or what?"
"I don't think so, just really tall and might be able to reach my bedroom"
"..."
"So how can I get him to cut it down?"

If worst comes to worst, maybe Ready-Cut has a chainsaw-producing subsidiary?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
Wow!! Six pages on a pine tree! Impressive! That tree isn't going anywhere, and if it did, it would do little or no damage. This is according to my better half who has been a tree surgeon for 30+ years. It's too close to the house in question, and it's a PINE tree, the wood is softer than the structure of the house.

However, I don't want this thread to end, it's hillarious!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM

245 posts, read 495,647 times
Is the tree still standing?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM

126 posts, read 227,424 times
Maybe he climbed it to get out of the raging floodwaters....

Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM

185 posts, read 457,618 times
Why don't you get an estimate yourself and then offer to pay for half? A tree that size (which really isn't that big) would cost max $1000 for complete removal. If he was getting quotes of $7000 then I'm sure he'd be happy to hear $1000 and pay for half.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
Why don't you get an estimate yourself and then offer to pay for half? A tree that size (which really isn't that big) would cost max $1000 for complete removal. If he was getting quotes of $7000 then I'm sure he'd be happy to hear $1000 and pay for half.
That tree went from 1k to 3-4k overnight if you could get someone there in the next few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island