Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times

Advertisements

Here's another beaut of a story, this one out of Huntington, reported by the Northport Patch. Apparently, Frank Petrone, the Huntington Town Supervisor, is proposing a 1200% increase in the town's parking permit fee. It will jump from $50 to $1200 in 2013, under his proposal, in order to stem a mounting budget shortfall (note how these shortfalls are effecting the MTA, the Counties and towns, hmmmm).

Kudos to the Patch for reporting this... it's buried in Newsday as well.

The story get's better, as the Patch points out Huntington Town council members are pushing for salary increases at this time of budget 'crisis'.

Doesn't this just dovetail well with the news of the MTA's fare increases? Can't wait until I get my 2013 property tax bill just to top it all off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
"Town Supervisor, is proposing a 1200% increase in the town's parking permit fee. It will jump from $50 to $1200"

Perhaps they all do math like you do there, and the message has just got all mixed up.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM

181 posts, read 445,055 times
I'm reading 600, but that's a ridiculous jump - something that one can't even make up!. I'd be pissed if it was only a 50$ increase. Who's going to pay that? It's going to cost nearly 1000$ a month just to get to work! thankfully I don't live in huntington because I commute to the city as well and I couldn't do anything with my 40K salary.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
I read on another message board that the $600 fee is for a guaranteed spot, not necessarily a requirement that all residents must pay (I think the basic fee just allows residents the privilege of driving into the lot and searching for a spot). I could be wrong though. Even so, it is ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Here's another beaut of a story, this one out of Huntington, reported by the Northport Patch. Apparently, Frank Petrone, the Huntington Town Supervisor, is proposing a 1200% increase in the town's parking permit fee. It will jump from $50 to $1200 in 2013, under his proposal, in order to stem a mounting budget shortfall (note how these shortfalls are effecting the MTA, the Counties and towns, hmmmm).

The story get's better, as the Patch points out Huntington Town council members are pushing for salary increases at this time of budget 'crisis'.

Doesn't this just dovetail well with the news of the MTA's fare increases? Can't wait until I get my 2013 property tax bill just to top it all off.
My bad, it's going up to $600.... still a huge hike.

And no, it doesn't guarantee a spot, although at that price, there'll be more empty spots.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:

Funny how he never gets around to fining all his slumlord friends in Huntington Station. Why not use THAT to fix the budget shortfall? But, oh no, latch on like a vampire to the poor schmoe commuters who have no choice but to use that LIRR parking in order to get to work.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Funny how he never gets around to fining all his slumlord friends in Huntington Station. Why not use THAT to fix the budget shortfall? But, oh no, latch on like a vampire to the poor schmoe commuters who have no choice but to use that LIRR parking in order to get to work.
Sucking the blood (money) of the commuters seems to be a trend right now, between Huntington's new parking permit fee and the MTA's fare increases.

Grim.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:51 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
Quote: The story get's better, as the Patch points out Huntington Town council members are pushing for salary increases at this time of budget 'crisis'.

The only council members pushing for this are the 3 Democrats on the board.i believe one of the republican members proposed a reduction in his salery

Old 10-20-2012, 07:35 AM

325 posts, read 737,357 times
I have to side with the Town on this one. The Patch article was riddled with inaccuracies. The Long Islander got the story right LongIslanderNews.com > The Long-Islander

Quote:
My bad, it's going up to $600.... still a huge hike.

And no, it doesn't guarantee a spot, although at that price, there'll be more empty spots.
Yes, it guarantees a spot in one of Huntington Station's 2 garages. $50 per month for a guaranteed spot in a garage anywhere sounds pretty reasonable to me. It's also tax-deductible. It's something many resident commuters who head in late morning have been asking for for a very long time since the lots often fill to capacity by 10 am. I wish they'd offer this at Cold Spring Harbor, because I'd pay for it.

Those who use Cold Spring Harbor, Greenlawn, and Northport will not be affected as they don't have garages. Huntington Station commuters have the option of parking in one of the lots. The price for a "regular" parking sticker will jump from $50 to $75 (an increase of $2.08 per month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namogel View Post
I'm reading 600, but that's a ridiculous jump - something that one can't even make up!. I'd be pissed if it was only a 50$ increase. Who's going to pay that? It's going to cost nearly 1000$ a month just to get to work! thankfully I don't live in huntington because I commute to the city as well and I couldn't do anything with my 40K salary.
It's $600 annually, not monthly! Yes, the LIRR has gotten ridiculously expensive. A monthly from Huntington is currently $299 and will likely go up to around $320. Throw in a monthly Metrocard and I'll be handing the MTA about $450 a month in 2013! Way too much...but it's still not "1000$ a month." As I said above, $50 monthly for the piece-of-mind to know that I would have a spot waiting for me and not have to leave an extra 15-20 minutes early to find a spot seems worth it to me.

Trust me, I am not a fan of Frank Patrone and the current Town Board, but a fact-check was desperately needed in this thread and in the Patch article.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I have to side with the Town on this one. The Patch article was riddled with inaccuracies. The Long Islander got the story right LongIslanderNews.com > The Long-Islander

Yes, it guarantees a spot in one of Huntington Station's 2 garages. $50 per month for a guaranteed spot in a garage anywhere sounds pretty reasonable to me. It's also tax-deductible. It's something many resident commuters who head in late morning have been asking for for a very long time since the lots often fill to capacity by 10 am. I wish they'd offer this at Cold Spring Harbor, because I'd pay for it.

Those who use Cold Spring Harbor, Greenlawn, and Northport will not be affected as they don't have garages. Huntington Station commuters have the option of parking in one of the lots. The price for a "regular" parking sticker will jump from $50 to $75 (an increase of $2.08 per month).

It's $600 annually, not monthly! Yes, the LIRR has gotten ridiculously expensive. A monthly from Huntington is currently $299 and will likely go up to around $320. Throw in a monthly Metrocard and I'll be handing the MTA about $450 a month in 2013! Way too much...but it's still not "1000$ a month." As I said above, $50 monthly for the piece-of-mind to know that I would have a spot waiting for me and not have to leave an extra 15-20 minutes early to find a spot seems worth it to me.

Trust me, I am not a fan of Frank Patrone and the current Town Board, but a fact-check was desperately needed in this thread and in the Patch article.
You make some good points, but I think the post you were referring to regarding $1000/mo in commuter expenses was hyperbole and not based on the reality of the situation. The reality is Huntington picked the worse time to propose raising the parking fees because it was a day or two after the MTA announced their plans to gouge LI'ers with their huge increase.

OTOH, you write that it guarantees a spot.... How do you think it does that? Valet parking? NO, it most certainly does not guarantee a spot as it is first come, first served. This will not change, although, as I've written, there will probably be fewer people parking in the garages now, freeing up space. Believe me, I park there now. AND IT'S TAX DEDUCTIBLE? Boy, I don't want you doing my taxes. How do you figure? For most folks, commuter costs are NOT tax deductible. Under the transit chek program, it may be payable from pre-tax earnings, however, the LIRR fare far exceeds the limits on that program.

Another problem with Petrone's parking fee hike is the sheer rate of the increase. Right now, it's an incidental expense at $50/yr, but the present annual fee will become a monthly charge under the proposed $600/year fee. Maybe everyone will park at CSH, since, as you point out, there will not be any increase in the parking tag to park there.

So, a commuter who takes the godforsaken LIRR to the subway and parks at Huntington Station will be paying in excess of $500 month for the privilege to be late.

So, I think you ought to fact check your fact check!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island