Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoDrive View Post
Fill up your bath tubs!!

Stop and Shop in Northport was a madhouse earlier today.. people buying up tons of bottled water, juice boxes. etc.. It's all so silly. If you were around in 85 when Gloria hit, these storms are all child's play in comparison.
Lol yeah, I'll do that. I think southbounds post hit the nail on the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 03:36 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Too bad that LIPA may not request out of state help this time,because they were critisized for doing so last storm when there was little damage.Better to be safe than sorry.JMHO

Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 PM

405 posts, read 1,163,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Too bad that LIPA may not request out of state help this time,because they were critisized for doing so last storm when there was little damage.Better to be safe than sorry.JMHO
I agree with you.
Better for LIPA to be prepared. I have no faith in their ability to promptly handle large numbers of outages.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My neighbors mom was at costco this morning and she said it was a freaking zoo! She had to buy 2 things and said it took 45 minutes to get a parking spot plus abnother 2 hours waiting in line.she said they still had some generators left for sale, skids and skids of bottled water all over the isles.This was the costco in Holbrook.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:54 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
All of the naysayers think that a storm that killed scores of people is nothing to fret about. Do you realize that this storm will affect a very wide area? They are talking Tennesee, Kentucky , Michigan & Buffalo, NY. How about five days of rain? My hat is off to you macho (and macha) Long Islanders who refuse to hunker down. You are smarter than all of the weather and emergency preparedness folks. You don't have to listen to them educated people. You are smarter than all of them combined!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
All of the naysayers think that a storm that killed scores of people is nothing to fret about. Do you realize that this storm will affect a very wide area? They are talking Tennesee, Kentucky , Michigan & Buffalo, NY. How about five days of rain? My hat is off to you macho (and macha) Long Islanders who refuse to hunker down. You are smarter than all of the weather and emergency preparedness folks. You don't have to listen to them educated people. You are smarter than all of them combined!
Historically...yes. Storm exaggeration is a business model and a spectator sport here. They may get it totally right and still, it will be storm surge, localized flooding and power outages. Not armageddon. Not about being macho...we just know this isn't Haiti.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Historically...yes. Storm exaggeration is a business model and a spectator sport here. They may get it totally right and still, it will be storm surge, localized flooding and power outages. Not armageddon. Not about being macho...we just know this isn't Haiti.
Well said.

Fastrudy you sound just like the a lot of the posters before Irene. If you listened to the media then you would have thought the eastern seaboard would have been wiped off the map. My favoite Video from that storm was the weather channel reporter talking about how bad the storm was (in the middle of it) and dangerous, then a guy on a bike rides by in the background laughing riding in circles. It's a storm not the end of the world. In any case the cone seems to be tracking south, toward Maryland/VA we may only get a piece of it.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
FWIW buying bottled water is stupid. Some empty soda bottles filled with tap are good enough and cheaper.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
i've always thought this. most suburbanites could afford to lose a few anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
Yep. That's about right. Unbelievable how they whip people into a frenzy. Sometimes I wonder if they do it on purpose just to spur supermarket and big box store sales. Which, don't even get me started on people making a mad rush to the supermarket! Puhleeze..we live in suburbia not the outback, you will not run out of food.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
raw pasta is delicious, good roughage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
well I am planning to use up what's left in my fridge and freezer this weekend which is not alot, I have plenty of canned goods, pasta, cereal ect... if it does get bad I'll be ready.I have a battery operated radio and plenty of led flash lights.I have that parmalat milk and some rolls and bagles in my freezer.I'll fill up my car tonight and then I am all set.No generator though but that's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island