Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM

276 posts, read 987,317 times

Advertisements

And if not, what kind of seed should I use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
No, it's not. Since the weather is still mild and the ground is not frozen, you can still seat the seed. Just thatch and aerate. Try to cover the seed with a very light sprinkling of peat moss, compost or top soil.

Should the weather turn cold, whatever seed that has not germinated will come up in the spring. Promise.

Too bad you didn't seed earlier this month. Temps were still warm and we had a number of rainy, misty days perfect for germination. BTW, I use the cheapest seed possible, usually a contractor's blend of rye, fescue and blue grass. With seed fetching higher and higher prices, you'll never be able tell the cheap stuff from the pricey blue grass.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
I always buy the best I can find, Scotts, I've found that you get what you pay for. As stated above, the season is all but over, but it's never too late, it'll grow in next spring. Many people seed before it snows, thinking that when the snow melts, it draws the seed into the ground for the spring. I don't know how well it works, but it can't hurt.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Scotts EZ-Seed label indicates most of it is filler with very little percentage of actual seed. If we're talking Home Depot, compare that to Pennington's product and you'll see the difference. You may even be able to do better at a local nursery. Good tip about the peat moss. I noticed where I didn't put that down is where the seed didn't germinate. It keeps the area moist for germination which is key.

My grass seed put down about 5 weeks ago has slowed down in growth recently. It's getting a lot cooler and of course we need to winterize the irrigation system soon too. If I were you I'd wait till Spring and use fresh seed. I read it needs at least a few weeks before the ground freezes and we're not too far off.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
My father, who could grow just about anything, always said to sow grass seed just before it snows and it will come up beautifully in the Spring.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 AM

513 posts, read 837,200 times
Rye germinates much faster than Fescue or Bluegrass. Tri Rye is a blend of three different varieties and is commonly available. It's almost always better to use a blend than one variety.

Peat Moss is a decent soil conditioner but it's acidic, good for lots of shrubs but turfgrass wants a neutral pH.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTAC View Post
Rye germinates much faster than Fescue or Bluegrass. Tri Rye is a blend of three different varieties and is commonly available. It's almost always better to use a blend than one variety.

Peat Moss is a decent soil conditioner but it's acidic, good for lots of shrubs but turfgrass wants a neutral pH.
Yes, I've also heard Peat can encourage thatch. It is not nitrogenous in and of itself. I now prefer compost or even well mulched soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island