Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
did the fallen tree cause any damage or did your insurance cover its removal despite no other damage?
In our case we were lucky, (a) it missed the house completely and (b) it took out the clothes line, chain link fence and a lawn chair (no we are not in a slum...lol). My agent said thats enough property damage to justify coverage. We also waited 3 weeks so our regular tree guy that we trust was available. He was prioritizing jobs based on who had trees on their homes, the elderly etc. That was fine because I trust him and his price is fair. Our insurance also found their cost agreeable, he even cut our elderly neighbor some slack because her resources are limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Small dead tree (20 ft) residing in my neighbors yard (formerly)... is now completely on my side of the yard.... (its weird, I do not remember seeing it after the storm, maybe they just threw it on my side later ?)....
Anyway.... I looked into their yard, and located the bottom of the tree (about 10 ft from my fence)... am I supposed to clean this up or should I ask my neighbor for help ?
If there is no damage to your house then you are responsible for the removal of the tree.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Update. Ugh, what a major pita this has become. Here it goes...my insurance said they aren't paying anything until the property owners provide a survey map. The neighbor said she isn't doing it. My insurance said fine, then you handle the tree under your own insurance, which is how it is usually done no matter who's tree it is. If it's your home that's damaged you claim it under your policy. Neighbor says no its my tree and I have to pay for it.
Long story short things got nasty today. I took the high road and gave her my insurance number and claim number nd told her to do what she has to do. I'm done trying to help or feel bad. I offered to split the difference and she said " even if I had the money I wouldn't because it's your tree". Oh well, has to be getting cold and miserable it's no power.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Not necessarily true from what Im learning from my insurance company.

If you contacted your neighbor about a dead or rotten tree, in writing and there is proof. They are held accountable for the tree and any damage if it falls, not your home owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
If there is no damage to your house then you are responsible for the removal of the tree.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Not necessarily true from what Im learning from my insurance company.

If you contacted your neighbor about a dead or rotten tree, in writing and there is proof. They are held accountable for the tree and any damage if it falls, not your home owners.
And that is the catch, proving that written notice was sent by a certifiable source.. With out that you can not prove they were placed on notice. Looking at many of the pictures posted you can't blame an owner because the root ball came up.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I just called my insurance company and they said even though the tree is theirs and it falls into our yard with half still being in their yard, we are responsible for the removal of our side. And our insurance only covers a claim if there's damage. Debris removal isn't included if there's no damage done (claim put in). Deductible is $1000 anyway.

Basically, if it's half still in their property and half in yours, see if they're paying for the whole thing first. If not you'll have to work something out with them (the neighbors). No legal ground if they won't do anything for your side even if it's the same tree. Our neighbors haven't so much as ring our doorbell to see if we're ok.
have you rang theirs??

Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Jfyi this storm is considered a tropical storm and not a hurricane.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Update. Ugh, what a major pita this has become. Here it goes...my insurance said they aren't paying anything until the property owners provide a survey map. The neighbor said she isn't doing it. My insurance said fine, then you handle the tree under your own insurance, which is how it is usually done no matter who's tree it is. If it's your home that's damaged you claim it under your policy. Neighbor says no its my tree and I have to pay for it.
Long story short things got nasty today. I took the high road and gave her my insurance number and claim number nd told her to do what she has to do. I'm done trying to help or feel bad. I offered to split the difference and she said " even if I had the money I wouldn't because it's your tree". Oh well, has to be getting cold and miserable it's no power.
Don't worry about. If she continues to harangue you, direct her to your claims rep. They will deal with her. Don't engage with her.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 PM

^^ Already cut the cord after the altercation yesterday. Gave her my insurance contact info and claim number and told her to have a nice day.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerron View Post
Two trees in my front yard felled down. One on my neighbours's car, one on my neighbour's roof.
Shall I be responsible?
Will the city (north hempster) remove it, or I need to call the company myself?
Felled? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island