Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM

8 posts, read 10,518 times

Advertisements

Only the LONG ISLAND Railroad can think that establishing service to Jamaica from Penn Station and Flatbush Ave. is a sign of accomplishment when they still can't get anyone to or from Long Island, which is the area that they serve. If they renamed the LIRR to the Queens Railroad I would be impressed, otherwise they have simply become an alternate NYC subway.

Now I keep getting emails from the LIRR about how they are waiving the fares for today and tomorrow as if it was their idea to help assist the people of Long Island. If I recall, I originally got an email from them yesterday saying they were only going to charge off peak fares. It was Cuomo who ordered them not to charge fares that I'm sure they protested when ordered to do so. Once again the people on Long Island are screwed by the LIRR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
my wife was fine on the Ronkonkoma line today from Bethpage into Penn. Two lines were running hourly. Tomorrow are 2 more lines running: Cuomo: LIRR's Babylon, Huntington lines to run Friday Commuters returned to the Long Island Rail Road Thursday and two more lines will open with service to Penn Station Friday. The Babylon and Huntington lines will open this morning with hourly servi

Quote:
Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Thursday that the Huntington and Babylon lines will reopen Friday for service to Penn Station.
As far as "screwing", it's not in their best interests to keep riders OFF the trains.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Thursday evening update for the LIRR:
MTA Long Island Rail Road is restoring limited hourly service for tomorrow morning’s rush on the Port Jefferson Branch from Huntington to Penn Station and on the Babylon Branch to Penn Station as work continues around the clock in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The recovery work, while taking place throughout the LIRR system, focused on returning service to the LIRR’s four largest branches – Port Washington, Ronkonkoma, Babylon and Huntington.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Service is not job 1 at the LIRR. But you're absolutely correct, they do tout their own horn as much as they can.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
They take after other ny politicians. And nothing like people from nyc saying how resilient and how they are so helpful to each other. Yep...they point out places to loot

Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM

322 posts, read 937,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
As far as "screwing", it's not in their best interests to keep riders OFF the trains.

They know alot of LIers work or go to school in the city so no matter what they do there will still be people who need to ride the train.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
The lirr is not the best but they are coping ok. Of course they toot their own horn but considering the situation they are doing ok. Im sure next week will be better

Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM

251 posts, read 588,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2812 View Post
Only the LONG ISLAND Railroad can think that establishing service to Jamaica from Penn Station and Flatbush Ave. is a sign of accomplishment when they still can't get anyone to or from Long Island, which is the area that they serve. If they renamed the LIRR to the Queens Railroad I would be impressed, otherwise they have simply become an alternate NYC subway.

Now I keep getting emails from the LIRR about how they are waiving the fares for today and tomorrow as if it was their idea to help assist the people of Long Island. If I recall, I originally got an email from them yesterday saying they were only going to charge off peak fares. It was Cuomo who ordered them not to charge fares that I'm sure they protested when ordered to do so. Once again the people on Long Island are screwed by the LIRR.

Bittter........party of 1, your table is ready.

Get over it man, a hurricane slams NYC and the boroughs, rivers and seas pour into subways and rail tunnels, no power to the third rail due to subsations being drowned in water or are out of service due to storm damage and your complaining that it took them 3 days to get up and running........ Grow up.

To be honest, why should they wave fairs? people have a job to get to and the lirr has employees to pay. You gonna work for free and drive people into the city? Didnt think so.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
So how was the ronk line? Gotta go to work on Monday...just wondering what I should expect.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
So how was the ronk line? Gotta go to work on Monday...just wondering what I should expect.
Wife says the first day it came back it was fine with few riders early in the morning, yesterday too, but today it was 20 minutes late heading to Penn. On the way back home around 4-5pm regardless of day it's packed like sardines in a can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island