Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Union workers have one pace SLOW!

Right wing knuckle draggers have one tune, blame the unions!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyfuture View Post
LIPA is completely unreliable. They have been saying to my neighbor that they will come yesterday to come and remove a tree, then today again they didn't come. They won't power our line until the tree is removed. There is a good chance I will be the last person to be powered on LI (other than the south shore areas). I am so sick of the cold. No matter how many blankets you have, it is still cold to walk around the house. No shower, no tv, no internet. I don't want to even do anything!
our neighbor who's tree had taken down the line took the initiative and removed the tree on his own (hoping insurance will do the right thing later - he had other damages too). I think it was $550 for a large pine tree. He said hopefully it will mean we're restored quicker. Obviously it won't hurt. Perhaps your neighbor can speak to their insurance or pay up front to help it all along.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Right wing knuckle draggers have one tune, blame the unions!!
I dont know how often you have gotten out and about the past few days but I was in a place with linesmen have their meal break. Talk about slow and easy...all I heard was OT, OT, OT....they are in no particular rush to get this job over with too quick. Its money to be made for them...especially the out of towners.

Maybe you want to call people knuckle draggers but I think you live in a closet.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I dont know how often you have gotten out and about the past few days but I was in a place with linesmen have their meal break. Talk about slow and easy...all I heard was OT, OT, OT....they are in no particular rush to get this job over with too quick. Its money to be made for them...especially the out of towners.

Maybe you want to call people knuckle draggers but I think you live in a closet.

So non-union workers wouldn't get OT for working 16 hour shifts?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
same experience. 4 guys eating pizza and donuts on the rr tracks saying at this rate their houses would be paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
same experience. 4 guys eating pizza and donuts on the rr tracks saying at this rate their houses would be paid off.
Take a friggin' picture and send it to LIPA. Make sure you get the truck and who is who. If what you're saying is true, that is.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times
i did along with the downed trees 15 feet from the truck. they are "getting back to me". they called me to say they would call me.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:01 PM

1,307 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
I was up by the rr station last week Tuesday through Friday - 4 lirr trucks sitting there for hours with guys drinking coffee

Old 11-06-2012, 03:14 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Non-union workers don't take breaks, don't eat, don't get overtime? These guys are working 16-hour shifts, cut them some slack. It's a huge f'n job. Blame LIPA for allowing the system to get to this point to begin with, don't blame the guys trying to fix it.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
I find it rather hysterical that the politicians appoint political hacks as LIPA chairmen, board of trustees and other positions then turn around and criticize them for non-performance, what did they expect. Look at the board of trustees, background in real estate, health care, town of North Hempstead, credit asset management, do you think they could have put a few electrical or industrial engineers or someone with first hand power company experience on the board.

All appointees by Pataki, Spitzer, Paterson, Skelos, Spitzer, etc. You want to point a finger, look no further than your elected officals that put these people in charge.

The website hasn't even been updated since 2011, you think any of these people are capable of running a power company, don't blame the workers, blame the management.

LIPA | Board of Trustees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island