Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Who are the people with no food and flashlights? Two people interviewed on the news? Where are you getting your info from? I am here and I haven't met one person that had no food or batteries.
The only places I've heard about shortages of food are from out of state doomsday preppers on this forum and a few ridiculous media reports. You can get food anywhere... at worst you might have to drive another mile or two (or get a ride, or call a cab) or settle for some non-organic non-vegan junk off the shelves at 7-11. The office I'm working out of right now has had upwards of 200 sandwiches, pizzas, etc. delivered multiple times daily since the storm hit. As far as batteries and flashlights, give me an f-ing break... every household on the planet has A flashlight at least. Anyone who didn't have spare batteries laying around could have pulled them out of one of their 8 remote controls, wireless mice, alarm clocks, vibrators, etc. to get through until they re-stocked.

The gas situation did not deteriorate until late Wednesday at the earliest. We've never run out of gas before so I don't think it was unreasonable to assume we wouldn't run out this time. Regardless, the gas is still there if you want to wait - or if you want to drive over the bridge to Westchester or Connecticut (which I plan on doing after I get off work again).

The storm is a major tragedy because a significant number of people living near the shore lost everything, not because anyone "failed to prepare" with regards to nonsense like oreos, batteries and gas. All of this crap is a temporary inconvenience at the absolute worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Was on sunrise hwy tonight from Lindy to the Rob Moses. Lines were some of the shortest I have seen.
Agreed only waited 45 min for gas on sunrise tonight. Line was nothing like they were.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
fear is a powerful element which can drive people to madness.

The lines I noticed this morning was still crazy. Yesterday morning, my cousin came to my area from queens to fill his 5 gallon container& poured it in his car.....about 1 hr wait. The automobile line went 50+ cars deep.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
where????
I have heard from people via facebook that they are getting gas all over the place with much shorter lines. Think about it: More gas has made it to LI and more stations that had gas when the storm hit now have power.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM

339 posts, read 933,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
As far as batteries and flashlights, give me an f-ing break... every household on the planet has A flashlight at least. Anyone who didn't have spare batteries laying around could have pulled them out of one of their 8 remote controls, wireless mice, alarm clocks, vibrators, etc. to get through until they re-stocked.
Might need those for some entertainment.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I have heard from people via facebook that they are getting gas all over the place with much shorter lines. Think about it: More gas has made it to LI and more stations that had gas when the storm hit now have power.
Yep. LIPA got the amount below 300k today, that means many more stations have power and more will tomorrow. This will get better every day.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 PM

251 posts, read 588,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I ended up waiting in line and getting no gas, even after warning people through texts late Wednesday night into Thursday early AM that there was no gas from Massapequa to the Queens border. I finally found a station and topped off at sunoco in Garden City; no line, regular gas only (all this should've been a dead giveaway to stockpile some gas, but I was too tired to make the drive back and forth). Next day Thursday the madness with the lines got really crazy.

I went out real early Sat. morning and waited at Mobil on Merrick rd, but ended up with no gas after waiting more than an hour. I don't think anyone was expecting this kind of gas shortage. Even those who filled up beforehand got squeezed. Those with generators had to really ration its usage. Now that the power's back, I don't expect to be driving as much. So we will probably be good til mid next week. A lot of the gas is being used right now by people with generators, all the emergency crews, tree clearing trucks, etc. combined with the supply issues is a recipe for disaster. Jersey is also in a crunch on the gas front. I think we really need to examine what's going on at LIPA as well. Look at how critical they are to our infrastructure. I agree with other LIPA skeptics that perhaps they are not putting the appropriate funds into ensuring a sound network here. Their emergency response plan looks like the same one from the 70's. Maybe they don't really want a sound infrastructure here?

Oh, give me a break with this! The smugness in your posts makes me want to vomit . You were lucky--not smart. 8 hours downtime? No family, in-laws, or relatives to house/transport, or job to drive to?...yeah, if you live by yourself with your cat and have no relatives on LI, then you were good. And very lucky to have power after 8 hours. Go read your generator manual again. You would've burned through your jugs by Thursday. If you had places you needed to drive to and on top of that you were still with no power, then what? You certainly wouldn't be posting on city-data how you outsmarted everyone else. Please .
Bitter......party of one........your table is ready.

Seriously though, sorry that you were not prepared......and to set you straight heres a little info for ya'......

1) I grew up on eastern long island. Friends and family that are local, salt of the earth people, including blue collar laborers and local farmers. One of the best things i could have asked for is a relationship I have with my buddies father, a local farmer. Always told me to be prepared for anything.

2) Our vehicles, 2010 Silverado and a 2008 Honda civic. I live 3 miles from work, my wife, 2 miles from work.

3) My cat.......he doesnt drive, so i'm not worried about his fuel consmption. But if he did, i would have bought more gas for his vehicle to last a good week.

4) Relatives, sister and husband who have accomodations of their own to live through a storm ( camper , generators and extra fuel ). My mother, hopped a flight down to florida two days early and left a car with a full tank of gas just in case ( see point #1 about being prepared ).

5) My generator will run for 20 hours on 5 gallons of gas on 1/2 load.......longer on less load. If anybody was dumb enough to run their generator all day and night, to try and power their homes......bad idea. Run it for an hour in the morning to cool off the fridge. Another hour after work and another hour before bed. Otherwise it would be light by candles and lanterns.

6) My vehicle is a flex fuel truck ( gas or e85 ethanol ). Both stations by me still have ethanol, so the driving that I need to do is not an issue. Beleive me when I took that into consideration when I fueled up before the storm. I also had an 3rd 5 gallon jug of ethanol, just in case. 3 five gallon jugs of fuel total.....and 5 gallons in the generator.

I'm sorry that you got pissed off at my post, sorry that i'm not as worse off as others, but if I was, I would have lasted much longer than many of those who didnt take the storm seriously enough. Dont crusify somebody who lived up to the boyscouts motto......

I was never a boy scout though........always seemed kind creepy.

Last edited by noupf; 11-04-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM

200 posts, read 456,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Bitter......party of one........your table is ready.

Seriously though, sorry that you were not prepared......and to set you straight heres a little info for ya'......

1) I grew up on eastern long island. Friends and family that are local, salt of the earth people, including blue collar laborers and local farmers. One of the best things i could have asked for is a relationship I have with my buddies father, a local farmer. Always told me to be prepared for anything.

2) Our vehicles, 2010 Silverado and a 2008 Honda civic. I live 3 miles from work, my wife, 2 miles from work.

3) My cat.......he doesnt drive, so i'm not worried about his fuel consmption. But if he did, i would have bought more gas for his vehicle to last a good week.

4) Relatives, sister and husband who have accomodations of their own to live through a storm ( camper , generators and extra fuel ). My mother, hopped a flight down to florida two days early and left a car with a full tank of gas just in case ( see point #1 about being prepared ).

5) My generator will run for 20 hours on 5 gallons of gas on 1/2 load.......longer on less load. If anybody was dumb enough to run their generator all day and night, to try and power their homes......bad idea. Run it for an hour in the morning to cool off the fridge. Another hour after work and another hour before bed. Otherwise it would be light by candles and lanterns.

6) My vehicle is a flex fuel truck ( gas or e85 ethanol ). Both stations by me still have ethanol, so the driving that I need to do is not an issue. Beleive me when I took that into consideration when I fueled up before the storm. I also had an 3rd 5 gallon jug of ethanol, just in case. 3 five gallon jugs of fuel total.....and 5 gallons in the generator.

I'm sorry that you got pissed off at my post, sorry that i'm not as worse off as others, but if I was, I would have lasted much longer than many of those who didnt take the storm seriously enough. Dont crusify somebody who lived up to the boyscouts motto......

I was never a boy scout though........always seemed kind creepy.
I read that some people go through very little to no wait because their cars can take E85...my question, how do you get into the front of the very long line in the 1st place? How do you let the gas station know that you are getting E85 so you can go straight to the front?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM

251 posts, read 588,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
I read that some people go through very little to no wait because their cars can take E85...my question, how do you get into the front of the very long line in the 1st place? How do you let the gas station know that you are getting E85 so you can go straight to the front?
I have not heard that, but I guess I could see excceptions being made. Might lead to arguaments and fights by those who consider or think they are jumping / cutting the line. I actually fueled up the day before the storm hit. Got ethanol and all the gas I thought we would need. The crappy thing is, the pump for gas is often integrated into the pump with the ethanol, so you'd have to wait in line as well if excceptions were not made. The thing is, the stations that have ethanol, have no gas, so the only thing they have to sell is the ethanol, which means no lines.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
Go in, when the station runs out of unleaded. Everybody else leaves or stays on the sideline until the next unleaded delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island