U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 AM

10,632 posts, read 16,884,073 times

Advertisements

Gordon Ramsey has a new show on fox, Kitchen Nightmares, that is hilarious, and for some reason 3 out of the 4 episodes have been set at Long Island Restaurants. The first episode was at Peters in Babylon Village, where I've eaten previously. It was so gross to see how they kept their kitchen!

Anyway, just a heads up because they seem to be really focusing on Long Island restaurants and may feature a restaurant you've eaten in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM

16,901 posts, read 29,772,681 times
They visited Seascape in Islip.

FOX Broadcasting Company: Kitchen Nightmares

Full episodes can be viewed on the website

Old 10-11-2007, 01:55 PM

603 posts, read 1,778,466 times
Ive been watching them! OMG so gross!!!I too have eaten at Peters several times.Did you watch the Seascape one in Islip last night?Ughhh that pesto was horrific!!Makes me think twice about going out to eat lol.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 PM

652 posts, read 2,080,010 times
I've heard more than once on different TV and radio shows that have had on employees of reastaurants now in a different field of work that if you saw what went on in most restaurant kitchens you'd never eat out again...and these weren't disgruntled employees either.

You really have to be careful where you eat. I for one rarely go out to eat anymore if for no other reason I can't stomach the foods they use to cook meals...from the kinds of oils they use to the additives.

anyway...did anyone see this movie on PBS?
I just happened to be flipping channels one night while this was just starting...I almost turned it but stuck with it and ended up watching the entire movie about this guys restaurant down in Greenwich Village. What a great movie/documentary? If you ever see it on watch it!

YouTube - Sundance Film Festival '06 - I Like Killing Flies

Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM

8,273 posts, read 18,787,768 times
I've eaten in Peter's a few times. It's right here in Babylon Village. I was never that impressed, but it was not terrible. I have only watched the two Long Isalnd shows because they are both near here on the south shore. I really enjoy the repertoire between the people in the restaurants. The Seascape Inn (Islip) was especially telling as you could see that the poor son was bullied by virtually everyone, especially his mother. In only an hour , you had a feel for the whole psychology of the family. Sad, actually.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,347,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Gordon Ramsey has a new show on fox, Kitchen Nightmares, that is hilarious, and for some reason 3 out of the 4 episodes have been set at Long Island Restaurants. The first episode was at Peters in Babylon Village, where I've eaten previously. It was so gross to see how they kept their kitchen!

Anyway, just a heads up because they seem to be really focusing on Long Island restaurants and may feature a restaurant you've eaten in!
I watch it.. quite honestly it makes me skeevy about ANY restaurant ANYWHERE.. eww.

But.. because i grew up in N. Babylon and hung out in babylon me and my girlfirends had a girls night out and had to try Peters now that Gordon was there.. it was DELICIOUS!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,020,846 times
Okay, I have a few things to add. I was flipping around the other night..normally my husband and son grab the tv. I was bored and saw that Hell's Kitchen obnoxious English guy. (my husband is also English). I said to him (hubby) this guy swears more than you...

Anyhow, I saw Seascape...(I just moved from Islip to up here in VT). I was like "Oh my gosh, it's Seascape...! They're in Islip!" It was so freaky. Watching my old hometown on tv..boring old Islip on national tv...and the place I have past hundreds of times.

I felt like that poor guy was in the WRONG job (the owner of Seascape). You could see his heart was not in bossing people around. Of course Gordon 'turned it all around' in a few days (ho hum...) but the man wound up selling off the place in the end.

It looks like it was filmed sometime in the winter but I don't recall hearing any buzz about it when I lived there.

Okay, and as far as working in a restaurant....it will put you off your food. I worked in one for three hours (that's all I could stand) and your hair would curl if you knew who or what is cooking and touching your food. "Speed" is all that matters, not being clean! The guy cooking for you at the $40.00 a plate restaurant could be the same guy I saw smoking a cig out back during break time...ugh.

My husband mentioned (after seeing the grease and grime of Seascape) that he is NEVER eating out again!!

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-12-2007 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM

8,273 posts, read 18,787,768 times
I wonder if places like TGIFridays are that filthy.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:29 PM

5,217 posts, read 4,347,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I wonder if places like TGIFridays are that filthy.
I worked in Red Lobster once a long time ago and they weren't that dirty.. TGIF is probably not either.. atleast I hope not..LOL

Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 17,799 times
I have never worked for TGI Fridays but thought I'd answer in general terms from my experience with other "Chain" restaurants. Most restaurant chains, like TGI Fridays, are pretty safe. Why? Because they have dedicated staff that travel to all of the various locations and conduct inspections not unlike the health department. The major difference that I see is that these internal inspections are not centered around just one aspect of the restaurant. Health inspections focus on cleanliness of the workstations, temp of food (both stored, refrigerated, and cooking temps), and expiration dates, among some other things. Depending on where you are from, health department inspections may or may not happen very frequently (could be once or twice per year). An inhouse inspector will look at those items as well as the appearances of the restaurant both inside and out, the appearance of the employees, and management. Cleanliness of the entire restaurant, etc. They work with a much more thorough criteria, which makes sense because they are the authors of their own policies and procedures and are above and beyond a typical Health Department Inspection. These inspections can quite literally happen all the time but depending on the size of the chain you can typically plan on inspections on a monthly - quarterly basis. You would think that an independant restaurantuer would/should have a relatively similar approach but as you can see that is unfortunately not always the case. It really boils down to two words in the restaurant industry, Pride and Accountability...that and hopefully a little passion for food.

If you think about it a lot of different organizations have different ways to measure quality. Hospitals for instance have an organization called JHACO (there are other organizations like JHACO in healthcare - just to clarify) that measure performance in virtually every department of that hospital. JHACO has within their rights, the ability to shut down that entity if it is failing within these permissable guidelines (health departments can shut down a restaurant if it consistantly fails). Hospitals will not only have internal staff that inspect their organization, but may hire a consulting company to act as a "Pre-JHACO" inspection. Warms everyone up for the inspection that really matters but more importantly establishes a culture of continuously striving for perfection. It all just boils down to doing the right thing for your customers. /steps off soapbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or