Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 09:36 PM

866 posts, read 4,256,232 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at different housing prices, taxes, communities all over western Long Island. And I believe that Massapegua would be the perfect place for me.
1. Wonderful area
2. 40% Italian ( I would feel right at home)
3. Close to the ocean
4. Not a horrible commute into Manhattan

One question that I still have is how are the public schools in this area, first I thought that they had there own district a some people are telling me that some parts of the town are served by Amityville Public Schools. Is this true for the entire town or just small pockets? And if it is served by Amityville Public how are those schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 10:06 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,115 times
Massapequa has their own school district. Do not look at any houses that are in the Amityville SD, it is not a good one. I believe only houses in East Massapequa would be in the Amityville SD but you must always be sure.

When looking at homes on www.mlsli.com, just search by SD only, and put in Massapequa SD to be sure what SD any house is zoned for.

But the Massapequa SD is very good. A bit overcrowded from what I know, but good otherwise. Stay away from any houses zoned for Amityville for sure.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Massapequa

No part of the Hamlet of Massapequa is in the Amityville Union Free School District. However, the eastern part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa is in the Amityville Union Free School District, and this includes part of the Hamlet of East Massapequa that has a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address. The northern part of the Hamlet of Massapequa is in the Plainedge Union Free School District.

For those who may not be familiar with Massapequa:

Massapequa is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the south part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Massapequa; on the east by the Village of Massapequa Park; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Seaford in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line).

The Hamlet of Massapequa has a different border than does the "Massapequa, NY 11758" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Massapequa): places with a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Massapequa are in the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Hamlet of East Massapequa.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,479 times
Default Search prior threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I have been looking at different housing prices, taxes, communities all over western Long Island. And I believe that Massapegua would be the perfect place for me.
1. Wonderful area
3. Close to the ocean

One question that I still have is how are the public schools in this area, first I thought that they had there own district a some people are telling me that some parts of the town are served by Amityville Public Schools. Is this true for the entire town or just small pockets? And if it is served by Amityville Public how are those schools? Thanks!
There is a lot of previous commentary on Massappequa. Search the threads and I sure you will have plenty of information to review.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
1. Wonderful area
3. Close to the ocean

There is the Massapequa School District, Plainedge School District and a small part of Massapequa as you've noted is served by Amityville.

Plainedge Schools start a few blocks south of Jerusalem ave and continue north into Bethpage and Farmingdale. The eastern boundary is just about Broadway, the western is just west of Hicksville Rd. It is a small district, wil little commerical tax base.

Massapequa schools are south of Jerusalem Ave and extend further east -- towards the Sunrise Mall and south to the Bay. Massapequa School district has wealthier areas in comparison to Plainedge. The area of Massapequa abutting the county line is where Massapequa schools end and Amityville schools start. Massapequa schools are considered more desirable over Amityville schools.

Both Plainedge and Massapequa School District had a decent number of Italian families. I can't say whether or not Amityville did. Many of the Italian families I attended school with in Plainedge stayed there -- their grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and cousins are all there. It is a very close community.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
... and a small part of Massapequa as you've noted is served by Amityville.
Actually, that's a small part of East Massapequa that is in the Amityville Union Free School District.

For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa:

East Massapequa is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; on the east by the Hamlet of North Amityville and the Village of Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line); on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Massapequa Park.

East Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Massapequa have a "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Massapequa Park, 11762" and "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address.

Complicating the matter even more: the "Massapequa, NY 11758" postal zone is a bifurcated postal zone, with noncontiguous areas on the eastside and westside of the "Massapequa Park, NY 11752" postal zone", and the Amityville, NY 11701" postal zone is a bi-county postal zone, serving areas outside of the Village of Amityville, on both sides of the Nassau/Suffolk County line in the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and in the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of North Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/East-massapequa-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 12-23-2007 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Deleted an extra 'a'

Old 12-23-2007, 07:43 PM

54 posts, read 225,097 times
I know a few teachers from the district and they mostly have good things to say. I once went walking on a trail that begins on Sunrise highway and goes north-its a park and I can't remeber the name. Anyway, it seemsed like the whole town was outh there walking and roller blading-seemed like a fun place.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,479 times
Default I ran that as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcmcw View Post
I know a few teachers from the district and they mostly have good things to say. I once went walking on a trail that begins on Sunrise highway and goes north-its a park and I can't remeber the name. Anyway, it seemsed like the whole town was outh there walking and roller blading-seemed like a fun place.
I believe that trail ends at Bethpage State Park (runs right into Bethpage Black golf if you keep going). Great trail. Lots of folks out biking and running. It is marked every quarter mile which was great for at the time as I could not wait for each run to be over.... Massapequa is a nice area and seems to continue to turn over every year with new younger families moving in alongside longtime residents. It's express train into Penn also makes it manageable.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
I used to ride that trail to Bethpage State Park all the time and fish the lake just north of Sunrise (Brady Park).

Old 12-23-2007, 10:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcmcw View Post
Massapequa Preserve -- the trail will take you right up into Bethpage State Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island