U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
VTP VTP started this thread

200 posts, read 611,772 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to know if anyone out there has actually ever seen a person parked in a handicapped-designated spot receive a ticket? Or are you even aware of someone who has received such a ticket? It would be comforting to know there was some enforcement! This morning, at Dunkin' Donuts on 25-A in Huntington, I saw a car occupy not one bot BOTH spots reserved for the handicapped (she parked on a diagonal; guess she couldn't be bothered to take the time to straighten out the car). Everyone else schlepped their purchases to their respective spots, but not this woman. And I got a look at her as I was pulling out, and most definitely, she was not handicapped. She looked to be about 30, and was dressed in medical garb -- I took her to be a technician or assistant at one of the many labs or drs' offices nearby. Can somebody in law enforcement just once happen to witness this, and give these people a ticket????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 PM

2,938 posts, read 5,696,653 times
Actually, in Huntington Township there are volunteers who enforce the program. They are trained and given cameras. They take a picture of the offending car and it's plate. The people are then sent a ticket. I've seen it in action. It's great.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Well, that's good to know. Do you know if they focus primarily on violations in the village proper?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:34 PM

2,938 posts, read 5,696,653 times
No. I've seen them in East Northport.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 PM

63 posts, read 159,856 times
i saw this happen at the costco on rt 110. an older gentleman with a clipboard and a camera was "acting oddly" by the handicapped spots. i had to ask what he was doing and he told me he was a volunteer. i thought it was so great- i'd become one, but i am not a huntington township resident. he writes down the plate numbers and takes pictures and the offender is sent a ticket (a hefty one i have to add!). all the townships should have this program.

i have a handicapped tag and cannot tell you how many times i return to my car- which is a minivan- and find someone has parked on the blue diagonal lines. i call the cops...and they do come, unless the lucky s-- happens to leave before the cops come. but usually the copscome fast enough to write the ticket.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 PM

137 posts, read 373,314 times
In like 1996 I got a ticket in West Hempstead for parking in a handi-cap space behind Liquidators aka the old Shoppers Village. It was snowing....I didnt even know I was in the stupid spot. It was the third spot in. I was so pissed.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 PM

3 posts, read 14,659 times
I actually work for a physical therapy office in the NCPD 7th pct. One of my patients did get a ticket while in the office (unfortunately, he did have a permit but forgot to hang it in the window). However the cops do spend some time in our lot because it used a cut through to get around a busy intersection.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:39 AM

Well, it's nice to see there are some eyewitness accounts of enforcement. People like that woman make me so angry. And to take up both handicapped spots, that's just b***s. Part of me regrets not saying something to her, but really, where would that have gotten me, other than a shouting match. She looked like she had a bad attitude and was just daring someone to say something. From the looks of her, she could have pummeled me in about 2 seconds.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,970,768 times
I find it horrible when 'non-handicapped' use these spots. Thank God you are able to walk and breathe and do not need to use these parking spots. They are there for people who are ill not lazy.

People are far, far too lazy. It would be much better for them to WALK a bit. Maybe spend a little less time eating donuts and a little more doing some exercise.

It would be wonderful to see these scofflaws ticketed...along with the lamebrains who love chatting on the cell phone and speeding down the road.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:41 PM

364 posts, read 426,897 times
when I see them do this, I often leave them a little ticket of my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island