U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM

699 posts, read 821,459 times

Advertisements

I am renting and a tree came down from this yard into the neighbor's yard, across his fence. This is a huge tree, old and gnarly. I loved it. But the only thing left in this yard now is a 7 or 8 foot trunk. I spoke to my landlord about it and he told me that he is not responsible for the tree that is now mostly in the neighbors yard, only the part in this yard. I felt bad, though and my son went over to talk to them and offered to cut up the tree in it's entirety and take it out of his yard. The neighbor was very nice and said he is having a tree guy come in to take care of it. We did offer, I feel better, and all is good in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM

3,032 posts, read 3,071,997 times
I agree with Mambwe. I am in a similar circumstance however, it was my neighbor who as a tree hugger declined the directive of the experts and dictated the particular branches he and his wife were "willing" to allow the company to cut. Their tree fell and took out a corner of their garage but also tore the lines out of my home. LIPA came and threw the offending branches down in my yard and he (tree hugger) and the audacity to tell me my insurance would cover the cost of repair and the tree pick up. There was no apology or any such nicety, just a pointed comment that the tree and not caused the outage which happened hours before the tree fell. For the record that was never in question, the tree fell 2 hours after the power died.

I have paid the electrician already, (not like I had a choice in the matter) but I tossed all the branches over to his yard and honey and dearie can "enjoy their tree." They were warned and refused to follow the directive and the charge is less than my deductible.

Mambwe and I are on the same page, it may be a minority but that is ok. If the shoe were on the other foot I would have called or walked over and apologized and insisted that I pay. In fact, if they did just that and offered to pay for the damages I would have declined thanking them for asking. But these two deserve each other and I only hope that they learn a lesson as the other three neighbors are also ticked off at them.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,099,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Unfortunately the way it works is your insurance pays for your house regardless of whose tree it was.
My neighbors car struck my house. My insurance is not paying for it. My neighbors insurancd is paying for it. You can sue them for the damage after your insurance pays for it

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 AM

3,553 posts, read 3,781,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Both insurance companies said they won't take down the tree. I don't think I have damage. The only damage my neighbor has is the top pipe on their chain link fence.

And yes, I picked the items when my recycling bin tipped over.
This is a little fact you failed to mention before. When neither company will pay then I would agree it's between the neighbors to work it out.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 AM

3,583 posts, read 6,061,081 times
You are comparing apples to oranges.

More than likely he was driving the car when it hit your house, correct? Meaning he was negligent. A tree(live and healthy) being blown down is a act of god. No one is legally responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
My neighbors car struck my house. My insurance is not paying for it. My neighbors insurancd is paying for it. You can sue them for the damage after your insurance pays for it

Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM

520 posts, read 823,025 times
Tree is down. Took a lot longer than I thought since I wasn't comfortable going on my roof in the rain. Tree is safely on the ground. I will cut it up and place it at the curb for the town to clean up. Look like there is very little damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island