Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If tree maintenance was done properly around exposed power lines on LI, outages would've been half of what they were. Nobody wants to trim trees, even when their big enough to be a liability. LIPA didn't want to a crew to do the maintenance, simple as that. LIPA should've hired these guys years ago, Asplundh and said. "do whatever is needed". Despite Sandy being a once in a lifetime type storm, this power outage debacle could've been a whole lot better for the citizens of LI. My family & friends are still suffering and it really sux being unable to help.
Don't underestimate how LIPA's own customers contribute to the tree-trimming problem. Example: I'm in a relatives neighborhood the other day - they have not had electric since the storm. The 50+ year old development borders an apartment complex with all of the properties adjacent to the apartment complex having large 50+ year old trees in their backyards that shield their view of the apartment complex. Of course, the LIPA power lines for the development feed through through these backyards.

Several trees had fallen over in the storm taking down some lines and a few poles - causing a good portion of the development to be without power. SO - I said to one of the property owners that I hope that LIPA comes and clears all the trees so this won't happen next storm. The property owner looked at me with a angry look and said that they would take LIPA to court if they attempted to clear the trees because without the trees their backyard would have direct view of the apartment complex behind them which - in turn - would lower their property value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Lovely. And that's why the towns and utilities should just have been cutting them down all along.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Lovely. And that's why the towns and utilities should just have been cutting them down all along.
AMEN! I say any tree within striking distance of an electric line or pole gets cut down to 10' in height or removed completely. Problem solved. Next issue.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
Absolutely! But, the nature fluffies will scream in protest. Some eminent domain type legislation can be enacted to make sure this gets done, despite protest from tree huggers and such. The last couple of weeks has ensured this needs to happen. Stronger and more damaging storms are going to be the norm in the future and LI needs to be prepared IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
AMEN! I say any tree within striking distance of an electric line or pole gets cut down to 10' in height or removed completely. Problem solved. Next issue.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:24 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
The property owner looked at me with a angry look and said that they would take LIPA to court if they attempted to clear the trees because without the trees their backyard would have direct view of the apartment complex behind them which - in turn - would lower their property value.
Yet these are the people who will run crying whenever power is out for more than 24 hours. That's why nothing will get done and LI will remain on 3rd world electric infrastructure.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
At this point Old Bethpage Restoration looks like Tomorrow Land for infrastructure.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
Keep in mind lipa can only touch anything on the 2 - 4 foot right of way. legally they cannot cut down any tree that is on the persons property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island