Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,933,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
I think that you are painting with a pretty broad brush. While I have not seen any hard numbers yet - I'll go out on a limb and say that I think the vast majority of the Island's housing stock was not affected by storm flooding.

They put the number around 100,000 homes and business were either completely destroyed or severely damaged by the storm.... I feel like that a rather large number, don't you?

Article from today Hurricane Sandy Brings Devastation To Long Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,472,990 times
Probably hurts LI overall at least slightly in the near term, but definitely hurts waterfront/flood zone properties significantly - and probably for the next decade at least... provided we don't get ANOTHER storm like this any time soon! That would turn anything south of Montauk/Merrick into poison for the next 20 years.

Hell, the LIPA fiasco alone hurts LI. My inclination is to believe that this was just a freak storm and it's not gonna repeat itself for quite awhile, but it's really impossible to see the future when it comes to weather. Just the fact that the possibility is out there would scare the living crap out of me...

Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM

629 posts, read 1,695,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
They put the number around 100,000 homes and business were either completely destroyed or severely damaged by the storm.... I feel like that a rather large number, don't you?
It is not that I don't think that 100K homes is a large number in-and-of itself. My point was that I think that 100K homes represents a small portion of the total number of homes on Long Island.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
My inclination is to believe that this was just a freak storm and it's not gonna repeat itself for quite awhile, but it's really impossible to see the future when it comes to weather.
For all the damage the storm did via its storm surge - this was not really a significant hurricane. Was it EVEN a hurricane when it made land in NJ? IF it was - it was a MINIMAL hurricane. Everything is relative to one's life experience - but my family survived Hurricane Andrew's top winds of around 175mph - almost DOUBLE Sandy's gusts. Long Island is terribly overdue for a direct hit from a serious hurricane and Sandy was not it folks.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM

78 posts, read 202,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
For all the damage the storm did via its storm surge - this was not really a significant hurricane. Was it EVEN a hurricane when it made land in NJ? IF it was - it was a MINIMAL hurricane. Everything is relative to one's life experience - but my family survived Hurricane Andrew's top winds of around 175mph - almost DOUBLE Sandy's gusts. Long Island is terribly overdue for a direct hit from a serious hurricane and Sandy was not it folks.
If you understand basic meteorology principles, Sandy was a 'major' storm given its size, barometric pressure at landfall, and its relatively slow speed. Given the lower water temps the Mid-Atlantic and North East have, a storm like Andrew is highly unlikely. Anything is possible, but I would absolutely bet a sizable amount of money that a Cat 5 will not hit Long Island in the next 100 years.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
If you understand basic meteorology principles, Sandy was a 'major' storm given its size, barometric pressure at landfall, and its relatively slow speed. Given the lower water temps the Mid-Atlantic and North East have, a storm like Andrew is highly unlikely. Anything is possible, but I would absolutely bet a sizable amount of money that a Cat 5 will not hit Long Island in the next 100 years.
Where I am on the Island we had 3/4" of rain and winds of no more than 70mph. Meteorological principles aside and based on my own life's experience - I don't define Sandy as a "major" hurricane.

I'm sure you are correct (and hope that you are) because the Island damn near Moderator cut: language removed with this storm and would all but be obliterated if it were ever hit with a severe hurricane.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-10-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 AM

4,992 posts, read 3,895,532 times
Can't see this helping the Long Island housing market in general. And we are not doing well as it is. (Understanding that life is full of exceptions, etc).

Old 11-10-2012, 07:01 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,753,116 times
I am so glad that we were able to sell all three houses earlier this year. While we loved long island, it just became too expensive for us to live on. My consensus is that it will be harder to sell homes there.

Two of our friends who live by the water had the entire first floor of their homes destroyed. One had only bought her home this year in Long Beach ; a great area, but not for me. The other had redone their home in Patchogue recently and are now in a mobile home on their property. it is just so sad to see the heart and soul put in their homes only to be destroyed.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,380,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am so glad that we were able to sell all three houses earlier this year. While we loved long island, it just became too expensive for us to live on. My consensus is that it will be harder to sell homes there.

Two of our friends who live by the water had the entire first floor of their homes destroyed. One had only bought her home this year in Long Beach ; a great area, but not for me. The other had redone their home in Patchogue recently and are now in a mobile home on their property. it is just so sad to see the heart and soul put in their homes only to be destroyed.
It might be harder so sell by the water, but there are still plenty of people who love living by the water. If we don't get another storm like that for a year or two, watch how easily people forget.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 AM

126 posts, read 226,692 times
Hello.

I think the more inland houses will see a nice surge in sales and interest in the coming months. Flood insurance premiums will be outrageous, assuming you could get insurance to begin with. I think the long term effect will be that many buyers that have $ and might have otherwise been interested in the waterfront will tend to look more inland now...The northern areas of Massapequa, Wantagh, Seaford, Merrick, and Bethpage will become more desirable.

Currently, people with low-end budgets can still afford these areas...once more money hits the pool of prospective buyers, it could be a boon for those areas.

Just my opinion (and hope )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island