Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 AM

81 posts, read 349,846 times

Advertisements

Here we go!
I think the Island and the people are in for an unpleasant reality check.It rained heavy for a few hours yesterday and everything flooded,roads closed and people can't even get out of their own way!!
I can't even begin to imagine what will happen when we get crushed by a big one.
Any quick escape routes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Although I don't live there anymore, I have to say even after the most pounding rain the water gets soaked up pretty quickly due to the sandy soil. I've seen it rain for days and only certain roads 'closed' due to poor drainage.

If you are unhappy there, then you should just move. If you are worried about the weather, well, yeah, eventually Long Island will get a hurricane. But you can't spend your whole life obsessing about something that 'might' happen. If this is your major concern, then find somewhere else to go.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,369 times
Buy a canoe.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Buy a canoe.
LOL!!!

NYSinger

Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM

81 posts, read 349,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Although I don't live there anymore, I have to say even after the most pounding rain the water gets soaked up pretty quickly due to the sandy soil. I've seen it rain for days and only certain roads 'closed' due to poor drainage.

If you are unhappy there, then you should just move. If you are worried about the weather, well, yeah, eventually Long Island will get a hurricane. But you can't spend your whole life obsessing about something that 'might' happen. If this is your major concern, then find somewhere else to go.
Well Gypsy in your free time take a cruise down here in the middle of a thunder storm and you can let me know which areas of that sandy soil you are talking about and I'll be sure to head that way.
I asked what will happen when a major storm hits.I did'nt say I was unhappy..I did'nt say I was worried about the weather,what gave you the idea that I am spending my whole life obsessed with what might happen?And I have a few more "major" concerns than the weather.
I'm curious to know how you came to all those conclusions? and it's quite scary, ..that's what you got out of my my question.Either you have way too much time on your hands or your hittin those veggie burgers way hard up there in dairy country.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
It will be wiped out when a tseuwnami (spelling) comes up on the south shore and goes clear across to the north shore.

I grew up on LI. I remember going out to Dune Rd in the Hamptons. Then in the late 80's early 90's a good storm wiped out half the road. Its under water.
!
All the houses that were up on stilts are a 100 yards out into the ocean!! LOL

A good idea with the stilts but how do you get to it? LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anyone been there lately?

Old 10-13-2007, 06:59 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I'd love to reply but I am too busy sitting up here milkin' my cow and selling overpriced veggies to the tourists from NYand MA...lol...

Ey yup, keep off my mountain lessen you bringin' those displaced NYers who get flooded out in Hurricane 07. Then I will rent you a room and price gauge you like all other good New England Inn keepers do. I may even let you look at my mountain and take you on a tour of my exciting town.

Seriously, you all keep safe down there if there is a big one...my parents and sister and her family are down in LI..

Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Default possible storm surge...

Interesting study done on potential storm surge for CAT's 1-4. Nicely done but the animations are a little clunky...

Long Island Storm Surge Maps

Old 10-13-2007, 05:54 PM

491 posts, read 828,424 times
Let it hit!
I have generators, HT Radios, golf cart batteries and inverters, pumps and hurricane strapping all installed.
I love to see how all the junk McMansions are going to come apart.
Its GOING to happen it’s just the question when.

It could erase all the jerks in the Hamptons, this be a good thing. It curently takes 1.1/2 hours to go 46 miles Mattituck to Montauk on a weekday during summer.
Joe

Old 10-13-2007, 07:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Interesting study done on potential storm surge for CAT's 1-4. Nicely done but the animations are a little clunky...

Long Island Storm Surge Maps
Great site. Thanks. I guess East Islip south of Montauk is off my list as is anything in West Islip south of Sunrise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island