Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Today, as I made a right turn onto the Meadowbrook Parkway from Old Country Road, this idiot makes a left turn onto the ramp and then tries to pass me-- nearly side swiping me in the process! The only reason we didn't collide is that I did a hard swerve to the right. The moron then speeds up again to get ahead of me and gives me a dirty look

I thought it was common sense that left turning traffic must yield...?
A lot of dumb drivers would call this "commonly accepted practice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
You obviously don't drive on highways too frequently. If I'm going 65-70 MPH in the left lane and someone cuts in going 55 MPH and doesn't accelerate it is very dangerous. I drive a lot due to my job and have had this happen to me. Whether or not 10 MPH sounds like a lot doesn't matter. When driving 10 MPH makes a huge difference.

This also has nothing to do with getting a ticket or cconfidence in driving. Simply when was the last time someone got a ticket for going 65 MPH? It doesn't happen because it is a commonly accepted practice by everyone. Including the police. They could pull over 90% of Long Island if they wanted to. If you don't want to or arent comfortable going above 55 MPH stay in the right lane. Simple as that.

I can't believe this is still being discussed. This isn't a new concept.
This is a cherished topic on LI CD.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Exclamation It is because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
You obviously don't drive on highways too frequently. If I'm going 65-70 MPH in the left lane and someone cuts in going 55 MPH and doesn't accelerate it is very dangerous. I drive a lot due to my job and have had this happen to me. Whether or not 10 MPH sounds like a lot doesn't matter. When driving 10 MPH makes a huge difference.

This also has nothing to do with getting a ticket or cconfidence in driving. Simply when was the last time someone got a ticket for going 65 MPH? It doesn't happen because it is a commonly accepted practice by everyone. Including the police. They could pull over 90% of Long Island if they wanted to. If you don't want to or arent comfortable going above 55 MPH stay in the right lane. Simple as that.

I can't believe this is still being discussed. This isn't a new concept.

some people would rather be right then to use common sense!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
this holiday weekend seems to have extra abundance of horrible drivers on the road. Half of the drivers shouldn't be on the road & have their license revoked

Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
The lack of intelligence in your comments above is rather embarrassing. Let me attempt to educate you a little as the institutions which you have relied on to do so have clearly failed you.

Prejudice = preconceived judgments (usually negative) toward a person/group because of their gender, social class, age, religion, sexuality, race/ethnicity, nationality or other personal characteristics

Racism = the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race which in turn help to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race

Stereotype = making generalizations about the "typical" characteristics of members of a particular group
And thats why the comments are racist and prejudicial. In the case of female drivers, prejudicial and sexist.

Your own self definition points out that the comments are racist and prejudicial

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 AM

31 posts, read 52,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitmanGuy83 View Post
Hey all.

Born and raised on LI, but currently live out of state. Learned to drive in western Nassau, and fairly familiar with the LI driving paradigm, or at least I thought I was. I'm here for Thanksgiving after being away for a couple of months and the degradation of road safety is shocking. In all my years of driving on LI and most of the rest of the country, I could have never imagined much less have seen such awful and dangerous driving as I have in the last 48 hrs. I've seen people passing stopped cars at traffic lights, driving opposite of one-ways, at least a dozen blatantly blown red lights, and aggression at a whole new level. Even seen an 80 yo woman nearly mowed down in a crosswalk by someone passing a yielding car at 2x the speed limit on the shoulder. In almost all cases, the drivers are 20 something females. It wasn't anywhere near this bad the last time I was here. The cops just sit and watch to boot. I realize tensions are high with Sandy, but I'm not sure that explains it. What happened? It's become a truly life threatening experience to drive anywhere here anymore. Less than zero courtesy, and those that do try to be courteous are instantly and brutally punished. It's like driving in Taipei out here, but instead of motorcycles its wall to wall BMWs and Hyundais. Have traffic laws been suspended or something?
New Yorker's will usually try to have you believe that they are some of the best drivers in the country, but as any rational person knows, this clearly isn't the case. And yes, driving conditions have seriously declined within the past couple of years. Long island has turned into one big person. That's why I am currently looking into moving somewhere else. Finally had enough.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Congratulations, and good luck. I wish I could go with you.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Go to pep boys and buy several after market horns LOUD ones you got to do what you got to do socker moms are the worse
Socker? Do they sell or buy socks? Knit or mend them? Are they responsible for the missing sock?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Stereotyping people by ethnicity is being racist and prejudice. Key word being "AND". Being prejudice is being a racist.

Stereotyping a gender is being sexist.

Ethnicity does not imply race. One can be prejudiced without being racist.

If an Irishman has issues with Italians, calls them derogatory names, stereotypes them, etc. -- is that racism or prejudice?

A person can be prejudiced and not be a racist.

Quote:
prej·u·dice   [prej-uh-dis] Show IPA noun, verb, prej·u·diced, prej·u·dic·ing.
noun
an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.

such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.
damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Call it what you want, those posts were insulting.

Best way to describe them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island