U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,399,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Workforce housing should be put in communities that lack any form of affordable housing.
, says Rockypointny.

I therefore nominate the following towns for "work force housing:"

Dix Hills
Commack
East Northport
Smithtown
Plainview
Merrick
Syosset (which by the way is trying to run working people out of its town)
Woodbury
Roslyn
Manhassset
Searingtown
North Hills
East Hills
etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 07:18 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,541,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Agreed

Im hoping Levy pushes the MTA to electrify out to Yaphank.

The LIRR is more like the Nassau RR.

Suffolk is grossly underserved.

C
I'd think that's a key ingredient to housing. LI doesn't have the option to sprawl around the work zones like we have down here, it's mostly about the East to West commute. Without either more efficient roads (two level LIE?) or rail that goes from where the higher density housing can be built to where the jobs are, it's just making more congestion. Of course business would have to also be located close to the rail stations.

Thinking about it some more since LI never really developed a "downtown" or a core area where business was located in high density it'll be hard to establish WFH. Since one of the points of WFH is to have the worker close to where they work (FD, PD, school, beauty salon, florist shop, etc) how could you do that since LI business is so scattered.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 10-17-2007 at 07:39 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 PM

169 posts, read 437,772 times
That's a very good point, ClarkStreetKid. Take for example some of the office-park areas like Melville, Woodbury, and Plainview. There aren't any 'workforce housing' sites available near any of those; it's all single family residential and retail surround those. Retail is too profitable to change, and residential areas (look ma, no sewers!) can't handle any new high-density projects even if the residents would approve a zoning change (which they would never do).

nbres, how/why is Syosset trying to "run working people out of town"? I'm curious. I've always kind of lumped Syosset in with its neighbor Plainview (not my cup of tea) and assumed that the property taxes in both those areas have always been too high for starter couples or families anyway. Has Syosset changed over the past 20 years into "blue-collar" demographics that is now not wanted?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 2,399,859 times
Quote:
nbres, how/why is Syosset trying to "run working people out of town"? I'm curious. I've always kind of lumped Syosset in with its neighbor Plainview (not my cup of tea) and assumed that the property taxes in both those areas have always been too high for starter couples or families anyway. Has Syosset changed over the past 20 years into "blue-collar" demographics that is now not wanted?
Unknown to most people there is a small trailer park located in Syosset. The trailer park has been there for over fifty years I believe. The people who live there have very modest incomes, but the rest of Syosset has been determined to rid themselves of it. Recently a developer bought the land and is trying to evict the people living there in the trailer park.

Talk about Class Warfare.

Syosset has changed - its getting worse - because its more snobby than ever.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 AM

1,876 posts, read 239,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Unknown to most people there is a small trailer park located in Syosset. The trailer park has been there for over fifty years I believe. The people who live there have very modest incomes, but the rest of Syosset has been determined to rid themselves of it. Recently a developer bought the land and is trying to evict the people living there in the trailer park.

Talk about Class Warfare.

Syosset has changed - its getting worse - because its more snobby than ever.

Oh please post a picture....thats too rich

Down and out in Syosset.

C

Old 10-18-2007, 06:41 AM

1,803 posts, read 4,120,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Let's not forget the issue of sewers. The lack of sewers is preventing homes being built that are more affordable. If the area does not have sewers the Suffolk County Board of Health requires a minimum of 1/2 acre to build a new home. There are lots that cannot be developed because of this.

Yes, exactly. That is why Suffolk will always remain less densely populated than Nassau.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 AM

1,876 posts, read 239,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Yes, exactly. That is why Suffolk will always remain less densely populated than Nassau.

Thankfully.

Nassau county is well positioned to be a future Borough.

It already feels like one.

C

Old 10-18-2007, 07:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,142,632 times
Default 110 is a place to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
That's a very good point, ClarkStreetKid. Take for example some of the office-park areas like Melville, Woodbury, and Plainview. There aren't any 'workforce housing' sites available near any of those; it's all single family residential and retail surround those. Retail is too profitable to change, and residential areas (look ma, no sewers!) can't handle any new high-density projects even if the residents would approve a zoning change (which they would never do).

Melville is the place to start a hub in my opinion. There is such a density of commercialization along the corridor and in my opinion an opportunity to convert some of the big box industrial areas that shoot right off of it (south of the LIE) that an initial push could be made to put in some affordable housing along with the right mass transit extensions. Of course this would rely on local political support and a concerted smart growth effort...nevermind, will never happen....

Old 10-18-2007, 08:12 AM

1,803 posts, read 4,120,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Thankfully.

Nassau county is well positioned to be a future Borough.

It already feels like one.

C
So where do you want the workforce housing then?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 AM

169 posts, read 437,772 times
You're right, I had NO IDEA there was a trailer park in Syosset!

Though I admit I don't know the current area well, other than the retail corridor along Jericho Turnpike and Jackson Avenue and even then I haven't gone into any of those stores in years. The last time was to Country Carpet on Robbins Lane in 2002, I think (nice store, great selection, well worth the higher price IMO); and I had to take a family member for an MRI to some radiologist not far from Jericho Tpke last year.

The only other areas I've ever noticed trailer parks has been Amityville (on 110 south of Southern State) and out by Wading River. Then again I don't exactly drive around looking for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island