Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
How did an area go from good to bad? I always wondered that...

and can that be reversed? any examples of that happening in the past?
I don't remember that area ever being "good" - probably was OK at one time but Railroad Ave was always industrial.

As of right now anyone who would care about that area no longer lives there. Crime is truly rampant. First they put up that school and then they put up the projects and that was that.

They were able to bring back the Big H shopping center a bit though. have to give them credit for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM

200 posts, read 456,805 times
Instead of closing the school down I think they should've build a police station in the area instead.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
Instead of closing the school down I think they should've build a police station in the area instead.
There's a police outpost less than a mile up Route 110. The police can't be everywhere; they did post a cop at the school during the day but the school was closed when bullet holes were found in the building.

My sister got pulled over not far away when she lived in NY for going thru a red light. The cop asked her what she was doing and she goes "look at where we are"....he let her go.

I used to have to pass thru the area to get to a friend's house and I would stop at red lights late at night, check around, and then go. I wouldn't even do that in Hempstead.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No - they are trying to make it an attractive schooling option to get enough kids in there to justify re-opening it. Magnets are not about chaning the surrounding area, they are about getting kids into the seats at schools in such areas.

That neighborhood...that whole area... has been BAD for 40 years. It's NOT going to change. Not sure if you are familiar with the area but it's right across 110, and just a little north, from the Huntington LIRR station.

My guess is the backstory is that they are getting pushback from the state, possibly federal gov't, to re-open a school in that area, as kids who live around there are being bused quite a distance. The reason I went there for only kindy was that Huntington was told "desegregate" in 1973, so they had to move kids all around. Keep in mind the Huntington school district #3 serves kids who live near Jack Abrams, as well as the children of multi millionaires who live in Huntington Bay and everyone in between. It is a VERY diverse district, racially, religiously and socio economically.
Cart before the horse.

How many parents would consider an 'attractive' schooling option in a neighborhood with enough gun violence to necessitate 'shot spotter'?

Here's your backpack and your bullet proof vest, Gwendolyn. Now kiss mummy buh-bye before you head off to Fort Apache.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
There's a police outpost less than a mile up Route 110. .
That was closed a few years ago...
The closest one is the 2nd precinct building on Park Ave, just north of Jericho Tpk.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,880 times
That area was a problem in the 80's when I was a custodian at Hunt El. They need to do what Bay Shore Schools did ten years ago-buy the homes around the schools and knock them down. They did this to a dozen homes adjacent to high school and few next to Middle School and built sports fields. Problems become positives.Residents were given a chance to vote on doing this and it passed easily.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
That area was a problem in the 80's when I was a custodian at Hunt El. They need to do what Bay Shore Schools did ten years ago-buy the homes around the schools and knock them down. They did this to a dozen homes adjacent to high school and few next to Middle School and built sports fields. Problems become positives.Residents were given a chance to vote on doing this and it passed easily.
Knock down the projects?! Bite your tongue!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Cart before the horse.

How many parents would consider an 'attractive' schooling option in a neighborhood with enough gun violence to necessitate 'shot spotter'?

Here's your backpack and your bullet proof vest, Gwendolyn. Now kiss mummy buh-bye before you head off to Fort Apache.
I agree. I'm still trying to figure out who the parents are who think it was a travesty the school was closed. But that's the LI parent mentality - they'd rather have their kids have 2 less kids in a class in a dangerous school than have 2 more kids in a safe school. They say Woodhull is overcrowded; I would be curious to hear the census numbers for it because I went to 6th grade there and it comfortably held over 400 kids back then.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
I agree. I'm still trying to figure out who the parents are who think it was a travesty the school was closed. But that's the LI parent mentality - they'd rather have their kids have 2 less kids in a class in a dangerous school than have 2 more kids in a safe school. They say Woodhull is overcrowded; I would be curious to hear the census numbers for it because I went to 6th grade there and it comfortably held over 400 kids back then.
Within my own district I've noticed more classroom space being dedicated to computer labs, social worker's office, reading resource room, science labs -- at the elementary level. Removing classrooms from general use doesn't help.

Looking at the area JA school is in and taking into consideration the vast number of rentals (which are probably overcrowded with "immigrants" and their children) and combine that with aforementioned specialized rooms, as well as unfunded state mandated programs requiring special space, the school could easily be overcrowded.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
That was closed a few years ago...
The closest one is the 2nd precinct building on Park Ave, just north of Jericho Tpk.
Its funny it just so happens crime went UP when they closed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island