U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,134 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

my landlord provides my apartment with a cablebox, so I get his channel package. now I want to get my own internet (account) package seperately. my question is, will cablevision allow me to add my own internet service in my apartment and keep my landlords cablebox/tv package? Im trying to save $ by not having to get a double or triple play package. I just want to add my own internet and not lose the cable tv that is already included with the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
1,474 posts, read 2,582,648 times
Reputation: 1480
Better talk to your LL cause if its an illegal apartment he probably wouldn't want you calling CV on your own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
 
3,939 posts, read 7,883,941 times
Reputation: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Better talk to your LL cause if its an illegal apartment he probably wouldn't want you calling CV on your own
If? It likely is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 11,087,507 times
Reputation: 9201
I've never heard of a LL providing cable to a tenant, at least not in NY. I'm with Mr. Bitterness. Sounds like it may be an illegal apartment-that's why there's a cablebox in the apartment. I wouldn't call CV either. What about looking into your own wireless spot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM
 
172 posts, read 350,201 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nceguy07 View Post
my landlord provides my apartment with a cablebox, so I get his channel package. now I want to get my own internet (account) package seperately. my question is, will cablevision allow me to add my own internet service in my apartment and keep my landlords cablebox/tv package? Im trying to save $ by not having to get a double or triple play package. I just want to add my own internet and not lose the cable tv that is already included with the rent.
Absolutely...I was in the same EXACT position and got this taken care of 2 weeks ago when I moved in. My apartment was legal but I'm not sure how much of an impact that makes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Long Island NY
464 posts, read 1,831,023 times
Reputation: 352
Just speak with your landlord and tell them you would like to add internet service to the cable and that you will pay him the difference every month in the rent. Most landlords will be agreeable since you are paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 AM
 
Location: The Dirty Dale
405 posts, read 1,034,495 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Just speak with your landlord and tell them you would like to add internet service to the cable and that you will pay him the difference every month in the rent. Most landlords will be agreeable since you are paying for it.
You mean take the simple approach? What an awesome concept!
I hope the OP takes your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 2,278,943 times
Reputation: 3476
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Just speak with your landlord and tell them you would like to add internet service to the cable and that you will pay him the difference every month in the rent. Most landlords will be agreeable since you are paying for it.
There you go, that's your answer right there. TO the OP, speak to your landlord and ask him to call Cablevision to see how much internet would cost and you pay him that amount extra each month. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
 
863 posts, read 1,852,683 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
There you go, that's your answer right there. TO the OP, speak to your landlord and ask him to call Cablevision to see how much internet would cost and you pay him that amount extra each month. Simple as that.
I agree here too. If you get the service yourself it's usually more expensive and if your LL is already providing one of the services he/she can just add internet to their package and if your concern is him/her using your internet that you're paying for. Cable allows you to plug the modem/router into the end of a cable line anywhere in the house so you can have it in your apartment all to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 PM
 
10,188 posts, read 13,940,893 times
Reputation: 6372
Your landlord doesnt have internet? That is nuts! I think I would die without internet lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top