U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,134 times

Advertisements

my landlord provides my apartment with a cablebox, so I get his channel package. now I want to get my own internet (account) package seperately. my question is, will cablevision allow me to add my own internet service in my apartment and keep my landlords cablebox/tv package? Im trying to save $ by not having to get a double or triple play package. I just want to add my own internet and not lose the cable tv that is already included with the rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,582,648 times
Better talk to your LL cause if its an illegal apartment he probably wouldn't want you calling CV on your own

Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Better talk to your LL cause if its an illegal apartment he probably wouldn't want you calling CV on your own
If? It likely is.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM

7,846 posts, read 11,087,507 times
I've never heard of a LL providing cable to a tenant, at least not in NY. I'm with Mr. Bitterness. Sounds like it may be an illegal apartment-that's why there's a cablebox in the apartment. I wouldn't call CV either. What about looking into your own wireless spot?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM

172 posts, read 350,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nceguy07 View Post
my landlord provides my apartment with a cablebox, so I get his channel package. now I want to get my own internet (account) package seperately. my question is, will cablevision allow me to add my own internet service in my apartment and keep my landlords cablebox/tv package? Im trying to save $ by not having to get a double or triple play package. I just want to add my own internet and not lose the cable tv that is already included with the rent.
Absolutely...I was in the same EXACT position and got this taken care of 2 weeks ago when I moved in. My apartment was legal but I'm not sure how much of an impact that makes.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 PM

464 posts, read 1,831,023 times
Just speak with your landlord and tell them you would like to add internet service to the cable and that you will pay him the difference every month in the rent. Most landlords will be agreeable since you are paying for it.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 AM

405 posts, read 1,034,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Just speak with your landlord and tell them you would like to add internet service to the cable and that you will pay him the difference every month in the rent. Most landlords will be agreeable since you are paying for it.
You mean take the simple approach? What an awesome concept!
I hope the OP takes your advice.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,278,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
There you go, that's your answer right there. TO the OP, speak to your landlord and ask him to call Cablevision to see how much internet would cost and you pay him that amount extra each month. Simple as that.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM

863 posts, read 1,852,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
There you go, that's your answer right there. TO the OP, speak to your landlord and ask him to call Cablevision to see how much internet would cost and you pay him that amount extra each month. Simple as that.
I agree here too. If you get the service yourself it's usually more expensive and if your LL is already providing one of the services he/she can just add internet to their package and if your concern is him/her using your internet that you're paying for. Cable allows you to plug the modem/router into the end of a cable line anywhere in the house so you can have it in your apartment all to yourself.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 PM

10,188 posts, read 13,940,893 times
Your landlord doesnt have internet? That is nuts! I think I would die without internet lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island