Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times

Advertisements

It's funny that you want to move here, because a lot of my friends and colleagues here are finding much better opportunities down in the Atlanta area.

Which is not say Atlanta is without issue, just LI has way too many problems to be an attractive relo destination.

For someone starting out, NYC makes an attractive destination, but be aware, you'll need roomates in order to afford anywhere close-by. Commuting into the city is awful and costly from almost any suburb.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Good luck bring lots of $$,if the union gets in McDonalds the pay rate will go up a few cents and the cost of a big mack will go up 8 cents

Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Hello all! I'm an early 20s soon-to-be college graduate in about a year. I am frankly sick of Atlanta, and when on vacation to NYC (we stayed on LI) over the summer, I liked what I saw. I don't want to jump into anything blind so that's why I'm asking now. I do not have a job (aiming for New York City) lined up yet, but with my field, I will find one. I'm looking for a realistic cost of living mostly. Let's just assume a $40,000 salary before taxes (yes, this IS realistic, that much I know) and an apartment. The geographic range I'd like is the entire north-south width of the island, but between the Mineola and Ronkonkoma areas. I've already started looking at a few specific areas: The Hempsteads, Mineola, Babylon, and Ronkonkoma, but there's only so much you can tell from Google, Apartment Finders, etc. I'm particularly looking for something near a high-frequency LIRR line, or a <20 minute (frequent) bus ride from a station (ok, having to drive a short distance is ok, but not preferable). The local social scene isn't a huge concern with NYC just a train away. Schools aren't a concern as I'm not intending to start a family for at least 5-10 years. So how crazy am I to be starting out on Long Island like this? At this point I'm not sure what else I should be asking, but anything would probably be helpful in some way.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

P.S. Feel free to ask any questions that might give a better idea what I'm looking for in a place to live, I'm bad at describing what I want without some kind of prompt!

First congrats finishing your school. L.I is not the place for you. Sure you can do what you want and come here. But fact is with 40K salary is going to be hard. Since you are young, you want to party meet others in your age group. From Ronkonkoma to NYC, you are looking at 1:15 on the express train. It migh take you 10 to 15 minutes to go the Ronkonkoma train station. Once you reached NYC, if you need to go down town, anoher train, antoher 15 minutes. You are looking at close to 2 hours (one way)

Cost of living in Long island is so expensive. I am working and my wife is working. we can hardly save any money at the end of the month. We never go to eat outside. Once a year or twoice becauase my kids love to eat out side, They think the food out side so good.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
? I moved back at 25 and had no problem finding people my own age??
Ok. Just curious how you met people. I think it's hard to make friends as you get older because usually your friends are people you have something in common with; I think it's easier for guys because they join sports leagues, etc. I've always thought you were guy (don't be insulted if you're not).

I'm guessing that moving BACK gave you a bit of a leg up but maybe I'm wrong.

Having relocated, I have found it fairly easy to make new friends in my neighborhood but we are an area of transplants. People make more of an effort plus ths is an established neighborhood with a lot of traditions that promote neighborhood unity. My friends that live on LI still hang with their h.s. friends - don't know anyone "new" in their circles of friends. These are well educated, high income people, not losers that are still living in their parents' basements.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
The OP needs to read the thread "What's it like in Long Island?" to get a good dose of what it's like to live here. Trying to get by on $40K a year here is just nuts. I watch those HGTV home shows and, for the same price as a slum on LI, it appears you can get a mansion in the Atlanta suburbs (and I'm just talking purchase price, not the huge difference in property taxes and other costs).

I also agree with those who say you should never move to an area based on vacation. Long Island in the summer still has its charming aspects, especially when you're living on a vacation budget. But most of the time? Not so charming.

The OP is young and interested in moving up. I suggest that if he is dissatisfied with Atlanta that he move to another, more vibrant part of the country that has a real future. Long Island is none of those things. I would suggest Brooklyn as a great place to live while you're young, but if he wants to go there on $40K, he'll be living in a cardboard box on the street with no shoes.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Who's to say the OP's salary wont be 65-70 in 5 years?

OP before you make the jump, ask the employer where you will be 5-6 years down the road, assuming you learning and are an asset to the company.

Dont let the debbie downers here ruin your plans. There are plenty, plenty of people on LI that like it and do fine. Just because they are not on here crying a river, doesnt mean they dont exist.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
OP before you make the jump, ask the employer where you will be 5-6 years down the road, assuming you learning and are an asset to the company.
At the rate companies are leaving Long Island, his employer probably won't be here in 5-6 years.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:

Dont let the debbie downers here ruin your plans. There are plenty, plenty of people on LI that like it and do fine. Just because they are not on here crying a river, doesnt mean they dont exist.
If you based long island off of this board you would think you were living in hell.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ok. Just curious how you met people. I think it's hard to make friends as you get older because usually your friends are people you have something in common with; I think it's easier for guys because they join sports leagues, etc. I've always thought you were guy (don't be insulted if you're not).

I'm guessing that moving BACK gave you a bit of a leg up but maybe I'm wrong.

Having relocated, I have found it fairly easy to make new friends in my neighborhood but we are an area of transplants. People make more of an effort plus ths is an established neighborhood with a lot of traditions that promote neighborhood unity. My friends that live on LI still hang with their h.s. friends - don't know anyone "new" in their circles of friends. These are well educated, high income people, not losers that are still living in their parents' basements.

LOL No offense taken Twingles. I am in fact a guy.

Anyway, Making friends just kind of happened. There were lots of people at my job my age, so I made friends there, went to places with them where 20 somethings hang out (bars etc) met more people, kind of a chain reaction I guess. I actually had no real leg up here since I moved away when I was just a kid and didnt really keep in contact with anyone after moving away.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:

Excellent post. Take many of the negative bitter posts with a grain of salt. But do heed the warnings about cost when factoring in moving here. It is no exaggeration that we are one of the most expensive COLs in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island