U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,733 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Is Long Island City the capital of Long Island?

 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Shore of Cayuga Lake
796 posts, read 1,275,309 times
Reputation: 416
No. The closest thing we have to a capital is the county seat, which is in Mineola (Nassau) and Riverhead (Suffolk)
 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,733 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
No. The closest thing we have to a capital is the county seat, which is in Mineola (Nassau) and Riverhead (Suffolk)
Those are just county seats. I'm talking about the whole island. It was named that for a reason dont you think? Long Island City is the ultimate capital of Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Brooklyn. Long Island City is where the LIRR and Long Island Expressway begins. Long Island City is as Long Island as it gets. Dont be fooled, its not New York City. I dont see how it can be with a name like that and the LIRR and LIE all being there. Just because it has some tall buildings doesnt mean its not Long Island and is all of a sudden New York City. Does the Freeport water tower make Freeport NYC? Long Island City is more related to the rest of Long Island than it is to Manhattan or the Bronx
 
Old 11-30-2012, 04:14 AM
 
Location: The Milky Way Galaxy
2,256 posts, read 5,865,824 times
Reputation: 1505
FYI its capitol not capital.

And there plain and simple is no capitol of Long Island. States have capitols. Long Island is not a state. Therefore Long Island does not have a capitol. NY is a state. Its capitol is Albany.
 
Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 AM
 
2,176 posts, read 4,019,448 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan7 View Post
Those are just county seats. I'm talking about the whole island. It was named that for a reason dont you think? Long Island City is the ultimate capital of Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Brooklyn. Long Island City is where the LIRR and Long Island Expressway begins. Long Island City is as Long Island as it gets. Dont be fooled, its not New York City. I dont see how it can be with a name like that and the LIRR and LIE all being there. Just because it has some tall buildings doesnt mean its not Long Island and is all of a sudden New York City. Does the Freeport water tower make Freeport NYC? Long Island City is more related to the rest of Long Island than it is to Manhattan or the Bronx
Other than geographically being on the physical Long Island, Long Island City is nothing close to Nassau and Suffolk.

FYI, technically the LIE begins at the Nassau/Queens border. I-495 in Queens is technically the Horace Harding Expressway though most people just refer to the service roads as that.
 
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM
 
8,077 posts, read 12,382,151 times
Reputation: 3880
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
FYI its capitol not capital.

And there plain and simple is no capitol of Long Island. States have capitols. Long Island is not a state. Therefore Long Island does not have a capitol. NY is a state. Its capitol is Albany.
You are wrong. Capitol is a proper noun named for the bldg in Wash Dc. State capitals are with the AL at the end. You should know what you are talking about before you try to correct others.
 
Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 AM
 
Location: just outside DC
179 posts, read 421,796 times
Reputation: 89
Oh Walter. You would love this thread.
 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Selden New York
1,105 posts, read 1,617,477 times
Reputation: 508
Long island what? never heard of it!
 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 4,029,333 times
Reputation: 1753
Long Island City has as much to do with Long Island as Brooklyn, Michigan has with Brooklyn, NY. They share a body of land, that's about it. OK, I exaggerate but you get the idea.
 
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Status: "I take the A train" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
18,272 posts, read 32,198,454 times
Reputation: 7349
stupid troll.....thread closed.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top