Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Very cool. I think we need another thread devoted to Long Island History.
Definitely, I love reading stuff like this....$89.50! Any folks who are still around from back then have surely made quite a bit of money on their ninety dollar investment.

Thing about Long Island history is that there's so much of it....that would be quite a long thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:36 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Definitely, I love reading stuff like this....$89.50! Any folks who are still around from back then have surely made quite a bit of money on their ninety dollar investment.

Thing about Long Island history is that there's so much of it....that would be quite a long thread!
Ironically I think North Shore Beach may've/may still be an actual town

What say you WalllyG?

Ive heard the reaon taxes can be lower on this side of town with older homes is becuse many deeds are listed as 5-10:20x100 ft lots rather than 1:1/4 or 1/2 acre lot.

I guess having multiple small lots is a litte cheaper or something.

The layout of NSB is quite random and interesting.

I really love it.

C

Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post

What say you WalllyG?

Ive heard the reaon taxes can be lower on this side of town with older homes is becuse many deeds are listed as 5-10:20x100 ft lots rather than 1:1/4 or 1/2 acre lot.

I really love it.

C
I wonder, our House survey says "MAP OF NORTH SHORE BEACH SECTION C"
Are all neighborhoods mentioned first in a home survey? Does a neighborhood become a hamlet when it reaches a certain size? Me and Clamboy live more than a mile away from each other, yet are in the same development.

Last edited by rockypointny; 10-21-2007 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:

What say you WalllyG?

I really love it.

C
North Shore Beach isn't a hamlet or anything else on any official Suffolk County maps, but it could have been at one time. I know the Rocky Point name must be pretty old because of the antenna fields, it's possible that the area closer to the sound was the hamlet of North Shore Beach in it's early days and later on just combined into the hamlet of Rocky Point. It's very hard to say with things going back that far, though.

Another thing to consider is that both counties on Long Island have officially mapped out the hamlets and each one is now also a Census-Designated Place. Under NYS law, a hamlet doesn't have to have specifically defined boundaries and this is still the case through most of upstate NY...so prior to the official Planning Commission/Department maps, unincorporated areas on LI were vaguely defined and you could definitely make the argument that "North Shore Beach" warranted the "hamlet" title.

As far as the tax situation you mentioned, I suspect a similar thing happens here in Nassau County. Seems like land parcels that were divided up during the early part of the 20th century tend to consist of smaller lot groupings rather than one larger one. Not the case with anything older or newer...I've got no clue why this was done, can anybody shed some light on it?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I never understood Baiting Hollow, is it not Calverton? Zip 11933? Please explain...

Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I never understood Baiting Hollow, is it not Calverton? Zip 11933? Please explain...
Baiting Hollow is it's own hamlet, zip codes in New York don't correspond to the places they're named after whatsoever. It's a confusing and awkward system.

If anybody wants to read about all the dizzying nooks and crannies of it, the Wikipedia article is a good start but I'm not even sure if it covers everything. It sounds right so I'm assuming it is right...

Administrative divisions of New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, in today's modern dog eat dog work-a-day world of terrible spelling and computerized robot sorting machines, I'd be willing to bet the town name you put on a letter doesn't matter AT ALL. I'm pretty sure you could address a letter to Clownpenis, NY 11933 and it would still arrive at it's destination.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Baiting Hollow is it's own hamlet, zip codes in New York don't correspond to the places they're named after whatsoever. It's a confusing and awkward system.

If anybody wants to read about all the dizzying nooks and crannies of it, the Wikipedia article is a good start but I'm not even sure if it covers everything. It sounds right so I'm assuming it is right...

Administrative divisions of New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, in today's modern dog eat dog work-a-day world of terrible spelling and computerized robot sorting machines, I'd be willing to bet the town name you put on a letter doesn't matter AT ALL. I'm pretty sure you could address a letter to Clownpenis, NY 11933 and it would still arrive at it's destination.

Huhuhhuhuhuh

He said Clownpenis,NY

C

Old 10-22-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Huhuhhuhuhuh

He said Clownpenis,NY

C
http://www.myspaceanimations.com/images/beavis-butthead-1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
http://www.myspaceanimations.com/images/beavis-butthead-1.gif (broken link)
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Now here comes the Mod Squad

C

Old 10-22-2007, 07:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
To add a bit to what Sean has already posted:

Baiting Hollow is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the north-central part of the Town of Riverhead, in the northeast part of Suffolk County.

Baiting Hollow is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow have either a "Calverton, NY 11903" or a "Riverhead, NY 11901" mailing address.

The Town of Riverhead is the only town in either Suffolk or Nassau County without any villages within its borders. There are all or parts of 7 hamlets in the Town of Riverhead: Aquebogue, Baiting Hollow, Calverton, Jamesport, Northville, Riverhead and Wading River. (Northville had been a village but "unincorporated" sometime between 1930 and 1940.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island