U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2007, 03:28 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 3,744,703 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Almost all those companies you mention have relocated their manufacturing down South, or overseas. Their facilities here are largely administrative ones.
This is true of NYC and most other high costs areas. When down South is too high, then they'll go to the midwest or overseas. Unfortunaltely, tying your fortunes to "manual" labor in America is not the best bet. It's the higher paying, "information" type jobs that you need...the sales, marketing, executive, etc. positions. That's what LI is moving to.

LI is looking up, I think. Wait until you get the LIRR to GCT, the third rail on the main line, and a connection to downtown NYC. I think this should all be done, hopefully. It seems like there's some eyes opening, like along Rte 110, that there needs to be a concerted effort to attract companies by offering tax breaks, etc. This is all that NY and CT have been doing, and it's worked big time. LI needs to get on board and wake up.

There are plenty of employers on the island, but many are private, have been bought a larger entity off island (or on), or is a smaller type of place. Doesn't mean people aren't working.

I think the majority of LI people work on LI now, not in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 2,097,806 times
Reputation: 329
Default They have a variety of positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Almost all those companies you mention have relocated their manufacturing down South, or overseas. Their facilities here are largely administrative ones.
Our economic rebound to keep young workers and build a tomorrow workforce will not hinge on have huge tracts of manufacturing here (IMHO), it will be built on growing out these businesses and keeping them here as corporate HQ's or significant metro regional operations. All of the companies listed have a few hundred employees at a minimum, many range from 1400-2300. They have a variety of positions, some of which entail managing the southern call centers and manufacturing remotely. Is your perception that they are all administrative in a 30k salary sense? Just curious, seriously...no sarcasm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 08:14 AM
 
1,359 posts, read 3,744,703 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Our economic rebound to keep young workers and build a tomorrow workforce will not hinge on have huge tracts of manufacturing here (IMHO), it will be built on growing out these businesses and keeping them here as corporate HQ's or significant metro regional operations. All of the companies listed have a few hundred employees at a minimum, many range from 1400-2300. They have a variety of positions, some of which entail managing the southern call centers and manufacturing remotely. Is your perception that they are all administrative in a 30k salary sense? Just curious, seriously...no sarcasm...
I'm going to give my take... he's not pleased with the white collar, "yuppification" and feels that losing manufacturing jobs means losing "real" blue collar people. That, and the fact that he can't stand LI at all, may sum it up. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Little Babylon
3,560 posts, read 4,396,952 times
Reputation: 1153
LI is currently a manufacturing nightmare and I doubt it'll change. Like Clamboy I still wonder why LI didn't become Silicon Valley East. Back in the 80's Grumman Data Systems flooded the market with programmers that could in some cases, like trying to prove themselves, be had for free! And that is not hyperbole. I know some of these guys headed to NYC and some others to parts West, South and North of LI. That was one of the biggest missed opportunities that LI had and someone dropped the ball. I won't mention all of the engineers that lived in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 2,097,806 times
Reputation: 329
Default Have no opinion either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I'm going to give my take... he's not pleased with the white collar, "yuppification" and feels that losing manufacturing jobs means losing "real" blue collar people. That, and the fact that he can't stand LI at all, may sum it up. Thoughts?
I am not sure what his ultimate take is but given the region's costs, having manufacturing grow larger will not provide the right jobs, unless a serious pull back hits on homes and related jobs. My opinion is that we need the core "white collar" jobs to grow...many people on the board talk about the Grumman days and the erosion of the working class. My perception was that those engineers would fall into the white collar slot of the work force if you must categorize things. That needs to grow. To be Sillicon Valley East, as some others have remarked, means high skilled roles, not manufacturing. This region will never be good for manufacturing again, but that is fine. Let's continue to lure and grow significant corporate entities then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 PM
 
Location: The Bronx
1,587 posts, read 116,814 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I'm going to give my take... he's not pleased with the white collar, "yuppification" and feels that losing manufacturing jobs means losing "real" blue collar people. That, and the fact that he can't stand LI at all, may sum it up. Thoughts?
Yes, more succinctly than I generally put it myself.

Why, Jrprofess, can there not be a place for some manufacturing? While Clinton was in office (when I used to be a Republican, ha ha) I faulted him for this transition we're seeing to the "information society." Now, I see that it's an entirely bipartisan clusterf--- we've created here.

Not everyone is cut out to be a computer programmer. The final effect of exporting all of our blue collar jobs to some Third World dictatorships is going to be the resurrection of a pre New Deal American peasant class...is that what you want to see? is it inevitable?

No, and, I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 12:19 PM
 
Location: The Bronx
1,587 posts, read 116,814 times
Reputation: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
To be Sillicon Valley East, as some others have remarked, means high skilled roles, not manufacturing.
Intel Corporation still maintains two production fabs in the Silicon Valley, and one in nearby Livermore. Once upon a time, I treated spent wafer etch at all three. As far as I know, they haven't closed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 7,129,503 times
Reputation: 1860
Cablevision is huge- they have tons of jobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Little Babylon
3,560 posts, read 4,396,952 times
Reputation: 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Why, Jrprofess, can there not be a place for some manufacturing?
One reason is the costs of shipping products on and off of the Island. Back when I was driving a forklift and loading trucks with large pieces of equipment for ships, the truckers would pitch a b itch about how much time LI costs them. Some charged more for a trip to LI and others stopped taking the run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 2,097,806 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Yes, more succinctly than I generally put it myself.

Why, Jrprofess, can there not be a place for some manufacturing? While Clinton was in office (when I used to be a Republican, ha ha) I faulted him for this transition we're seeing to the "information society." Now, I see that it's an entirely bipartisan clusterf--- we've created here.

Not everyone is cut out to be a computer programmer. The final effect of exporting all of our blue collar jobs to some Third World dictatorships is going to be the resurrection of a pre New Deal American peasant class...is that what you want to see? is it inevitable?

No, and, I hope not.
My thoughts that manufacturing will not work here are more logistics than whether or not it could still exist in the country. I just think it suffers from some poor location challenges to really be a manufacturing hub. And if we can't house the workforce it will also be a moot point.

The supply chain doesn't work well when originated off of an expensive, location challenged region. We are not central to the arteries of delivery outside of New York. It is why the nearest distribution centers you will likely see start at south/central jersey and move further away from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top